It's a bad time to be a TDI owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Took my 04' Beetle TDI to the dealer yesterday ..

Your '04 with PD engine is not affected, right? If its value is affected it's perception rather than fact.

If I could find a clean Mk4 Golf with the older engine I'd snap it up. Awesome cars, I had an '03 until the dealer smashed it up at only 6 months old.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Took my 04' Beetle TDI to the dealer yesterday ..

Your '04 with PD engine is not affected, right? If its value is affected it's perception rather than fact.

If I could find a clean Mk4 Golf with the older engine I'd snap it up. Awesome cars, I had an '03 until the dealer smashed it up at only 6 months old.
Not affected, only 2009 and newer

When all of the bad news is finally out it will be a good time to buy VW stock and hold it for a few years.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
The only people I see with a problem are the ones that like to trade every couple years or have to pass emissions test via computer hook up. If you like the car and it runs well just drive it until it quits.

Ship them all up to this province. Diesel is pretty popular here and there are no emissions checks.
wink.gif
Besides, every used TDI you see has like half a million miles on it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyMerrill
wrong. the other diesels pass the emissions and so do some other diesel VW's without cheating.

Explain where I was wrong. I didn't say that other diesels didn't pass. I didn't say that other diesels couldn't pass. I didn't even say that VW diesels couldn't pass. I pointed out that no one should be surprised that someone tried to cheat. I defy you to explain how a statement like that would be quantitatively "wrong."

Originally Posted By: Doog
When all of the bad news is finally out it will be a good time to buy VW stock and hold it for a few years.

100% agree, timing might be difficult, but you want to be in before there is a sentiment change.

The EPA badly needs reform . If you think the diesel regs are easy talk to the big rig owners about Tier 4 regs .
It's about time the EPA was dragged into the real world .

Originally Posted By: CT8
I am impressed that VW intentionally cheated on emission control laws. Sad they were caught.

Ridiculous. Their cheating was simply driven by greed. They didn't care about clean air or their customers.

The moral of the story is VW didnt give a rats Arssee about its TDI customers and if the impacted TDI customers have an ounce of brains they will return the favor and never go back for another purchase!

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Originally Posted By: CT8
I am impressed that VW intentionally cheated on emission control laws. Sad they were caught.

Ridiculous. Their cheating was simply driven by greed. They didn't care about clean air or their customers.

Was it greed or pride? VW engine was a failure in drivability near production time so they cheated.

This isn't the first time a car maker was caught cheating just the biggest one to date.

VWAG gambled and lost...

A snippet of the article,

Quote:
GM's Cadillac Crisis

Between 1991 and 1995, GM sold approximately 470,000 Seville, DeVille, Eldorado, and Fleetwood model Cadillacs with 4.9L V8 engines that turned off the emissions control system when the driver turned on the air conditioner.

In December 1995, the Justice Department sued GM on behalf of the EPA in order to force GM to recall those vehicles. GM agreed to what amounted to a $45 million settlement, including $11 million in fines, $25 million to fix the recalled cars, and just under $9 million in a "community service" penalty.

GM allegedly designed its engine control chip to increase the amount of fuel pumped into the engine when the air conditioner was turned on. This increase in fuel overrode the emissions control system, releasing "up to 10 grams of carbon monoxide a mile with the climate control on, well above the 3.4 grams/mile limit," according to a press release from the Justice Department. In a Washington Post article (PDF) from the time, an unnamed GM executive told the paper that the company made this change to the computer chip to keep the cars from stalling when the air conditioner was turned on.

Cadillac's maker was able to equip its cars with the engine-boosting, emissions-control-defeating software without it being detected by the EPA because the Agency’s tests to certify the cars were supposed to be done with the air conditioning and heating systems off. But the EPA discovered the defeat device during "routine testing" in the fall of 1993, the Justice Department said.

Link

How much do you think of GM, Ford, and Honda now?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS
The moral of the story is VW didnt give a rats Arssee about its TDI customers and if the impacted TDI customers have an ounce of brains they will return the favor and never go back for another purchase!

How so? VW was giving its customers better MPGs than they paid for. They were helping their customers while giving the middle finger to the political machine known as the EPA who prefers to fleece american citizens of all the money the can in the name of controlling entities like the illuminati/cabal/etc.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

How so? VW was giving its customers better MPGs than they paid for. They were helping their customers while giving the middle finger to the political machine known as the EPA who prefers to fleece american citizens of all the money the can in the name of controlling entities like the illuminati/cabal/etc.

Ha? They knowingly cheated the system leaving their customers in the lurch, once discovered!

Their cars were not clean and once they are "fixed" with a hacked up Urea system added on, the performance and mpg will drop as fast as the TDI's value LOL

Wolfgang told them this and they gave him the boot!

More likely: many owners will either not do the recall at alll (I wouldn't), or will reinstall the old ECU program after the "fix".

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I've always liked VW styling, but I know they have problems that would cause me to accidentally set it on fire and file an insurance claim.

The more low tech a car is.... the more I like it.

It will not get as low tech as the 2015 VW Jetta S with the 2.Slow. After 3 decades with that engine, I think they've finally got all the kinks ironed out. No direct injection carbon coking, no turbo lag, no drive belt worries, and it still has hydraulic power steering. The only thing it's missing is power, but if you don't mind working the gears, it's just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
More likely: many owners will either not do the recall at alll (I wouldn't), or will reinstall the old ECU program after the "fix".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/19/busine...epair.html?_r=0

Yup, the onus is on the owner. I'm still upset at the cheating and I feel for my VW TDI comrades. However, I like my gas VW and I'm hoping this company corrects its mistakes and continue on.

Here in Hawaii, it's not really ideal to buy diesel as the commutes are not that far and the price of diesel is more expensive than premium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Hmmm, but some here proclaim from the rooftops that VW is the only automotive company that has ever cheated, that is cheating, or ever would cheat.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

The clean diesel campaign they were touting because they had no competitive offering to hybrids was pure lies and marketing deceit. Owners deserve a rebate after applying fix/ patch for this.

Vw could have stayed mum on clean diesel part but instead committed fraud in eyes of FTC.

My sister in law specifically purchased the "clean" Jetta off environmental reason beyond form of wagen over Prius wagen. She is not happy and knows value of car is poo.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

So the company cheated and now the customers will follow in their footsteps.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
This isn't the first time a car maker was caught cheating just the biggest one to date.

VWAG gambled and lost...

A snippet of the article,

Quote:
GM's Cadillac Crisis

Between 1991 and 1995, GM sold approximately 470,000 Seville, DeVille, Eldorado, and Fleetwood model Cadillacs with 4.9L V8 engines that turned off the emissions control system when the driver turned on the air conditioner.

In December 1995, the Justice Department sued GM on behalf of the EPA in order to force GM to recall those vehicles. GM agreed to what amounted to a $45 million settlement, including $11 million in fines, $25 million to fix the recalled cars, and just under $9 million in a "community service" penalty.

GM allegedly designed its engine control chip to increase the amount of fuel pumped into the engine when the air conditioner was turned on. This increase in fuel overrode the emissions control system, releasing "up to 10 grams of carbon monoxide a mile with the climate control on, well above the 3.4 grams/mile limit," according to a press release from the Justice Department. In a Washington Post article (PDF) from the time, an unnamed GM executive told the paper that the company made this change to the computer chip to keep the cars from stalling when the air conditioner was turned on.

Cadillac's maker was able to equip its cars with the engine-boosting, emissions-control-defeating software without it being detected by the EPA because the Agency’s tests to certify the cars were supposed to be done with the air conditioning and heating systems off. But the EPA discovered the defeat device during "routine testing" in the fall of 1993, the Justice Department said.

Link

That other companies have cheated in the past doesnt make it ok for VW to do so. This doesnt add anything to the conversation and just serves to try and distract from the topic.

VW will be fine. The company will ride this out with help from the German government if needed. Car buyers have short memories.

The real threat to VW is that Marchionne will see tham as a bargain due to the drop in share price. He really wants GM but may try to take VW as a consolation prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back