How the used-car price spike affected tax assessments in Virginia

I think people are missing that our "registration fee" is 30 bucks a year. Many states don't charge a personal property tax on a vehicle but they have 500 dollar a year registration fees.
I'd be curious to know what the cheapest states are for annual registration plus taxes, if applicable. No personal property tax here and annual registration is still under $100.

I paid $3,350 yesterday for 2 vehicles and a Harbor Freight trailer here in Missouri. They said the 2021 Raptor I owned was worth $81,030, the Suburban $53,790 and the trailer $150. New MSRP on the Raptor was $73,xxx. I should’ve contested it but missed the appeal period.

The trailer is like $6 and the rest is for the 2021 Suburban and a 2021 Raptor. Scam.

Edit- they said the Raptor was worth $64,140 the year prior. Gotta love a $17,000 increase in valuation in 12 months.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know what the cheapest states are for annual registration plus taxes, if applicable. No personal property tax here and annual registration is still under $100.
Me too. My BIL lives in Cali, I told him about the property tax we pay and he was like "That's BS we don't pay that" but then turned right around and told me he pays some sort of registration fee or license fee that is about the same as what the property taxes are here. Our initial sales tax on a new vehicle is 3.5%, but that is just to get you in the door for the future taxes :ROFLMAO:
The taxes on my 98 F150 4x4 are down to 100 bucks a year, if I wanted to put antique tags on it they would go to 0.00

Another thing in Virginia is that we don't have differential sales tax. If I buy a $100k car today, I pay $5k sales tax. If i trade it in tomorrow on another $100k car, and get $90k trade, I pay another $5k in tax...not just on the $10k like is done in some states.

I paid $3,350 yesterday for 2 vehicles and a Harbor Freight trailer here in Missouri. They said the 2021 Raptor I owned was worth $81,030, the Suburban $53,790 and the trailer $150. New MSRP on the Raptor was $73,xxx. I should’ve contested it but missed the appeal period.

The trailer is like $6 and the rest is for the 2021 Suburban and a 2021 Raptor. Scam.
For tax purposes, my 2013 GT500 depreciates here, they have it assessed at 30K.

To give some perspective, my tax on the Ranger this time was < $200. Some of you pay far more than that in annual "registration fees" in states that don't allow cities/counties to tax vehicles by value. There was a revolt in Washington state over high registration fees a few years ago.

By coincidence, the Virginia governor has just announced he wants to phase out this personal-property tax on cars, which is widely hated and usually called the "car tax". He wants to work with other politicians to find substitute levies so the car tax can be killed.

TAVT/Ad valorem tax is a complete rip off in the automotive sector IMO
I know Georgia does it, and it baffles me

I never thought I'd say it, but NY/NJ/CT are less crooked and get this right
Pay the sales tax when it's new or used, then pay ~$137 every two years for registration/plates
Renew online easily, they mail you new stickers 🤷‍♂️
Vanity/Custom plates have no special value, just an extra fee to custom stamp them
If it's available, it's your's for ~$30
Classic/Historical/Motorcycle?
No problem, it costs less 💰

Car value/size/condition doesn't matter
Only break point is under/over 8500 lbs GVWR
Pay your money, attach registration and plates, drive

depends on where you live, this is not a state tax, this is a county tax.
It can be over a grand on a higher end new car. One place I pay is 3.50 per 100 and one is 5.00 per 100

Curious what are real estate taxes are on a $750k house

Also depends on location. One of our places is .56 per 100 and one is 1.30 per 100. So one location would be 4200 a year and the other would be 9750 a year.

I guess NJ isn't that bad even they say we are the highest in the country.

wait... you have to pay a tax every year for a product that you paid taxes on when you purchased?

Yes, and the same here in South Carolina. The county taxes personal property: real estate, cars, trucks, boats every year. Depreciating things like cars and trucks get very low tax as they age. My 2007 Grand Cherokee tax this year was $11. The tax must be paid before you can get your annual registration card and license sticker. Only death and taxes are assured in this life.

The tax a new vehicle at the time of purchase is limited to an Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF). This fee is 5% of the sale price but never exceeds $500. So buying a $10,000 car or a $200,000 car, that tax is still $500.

Back