It's a bad time to be a TDI owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
I am impressed that VW intentionally cheated on emission control laws. Sad they were caught.

you're impressed that VW cheated emissions?

idiotic

Our local vw dealer who was very popular now has empty front lots and spaced cars out to take 1.5 spaces

Prior to recall they stocked 50% tdi models as they were wildly popular here.

Sad. I think vw should offer a rebate also to owners who go in for reflash once they fix the cars. Otherwise owners may ingnore it.

Tdi was extremely over priced used now market has corrected!

Last edited:
Quote:

This could cause VW to fold.

Maybe the repairs, but no gov't is going to fine them to the point where many people lose their jobs due the malfeasance of a few.

I have always thought TDI's and VW's in general were inferior German cars.

I had the pleasure or working on a VR6 Passat and would love to shoot the guy who designed that engine bay. Its designed as poorly as an American car in terms of service, worse in some areas.

VW and by extension Audi has a weird fetish for playing hide and seek with plastic cooling system fittings. The only other German manufacture that falls for such foolishness is BMW, but at least BMW doesn't bury them so you have to yank the &*(^&^*(&*^( motor to change a cracked coolant pipe.

I was never impressed with their diesels weak, cheap and anemic compared to Mercedes and BMW's.

Last edited:
Not accurate anymore.

Many models are on par with Japanese models or better like the Golf is when it comes to reliability.

I agree that US emissions laws are ludicrous, and often times ineffective, sometimes they are even counterproductive, but they are law and VW should have either obeyed them or hired lobbyists to get legislators to change the laws.

If I owned a current TDI unless I was forced to get it
brought up to the letter of the law I would leave it just as is especially easy since the state I now live in has NO emissions testing at all.

Last edited:
Our government that knows they are here to take care of us has never liked diesel powered automobiles. The real underlying problem here is that this VW adventure has probably sealed the fate of diesel engines for automobiles in the US. They did not find the problem themselves because in reality they are in the business to punish and their policies have nothing to do with expertise in anything, just politics. So, I would say good by diesel engines. The government makes the rules and our job is to appreciate them. Without them we are nothing, so they say.

I hope this will also serve as a wake up call for the Feds and general public to reevaluate their emission requirements, and whether the cost / benefit to clean air is appropriate for our needs.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
This whole thing will pass like things have for GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda ect and VW will be doing better than ever.

After all no one died from this, as folks did with Honda, Toyota, Ford, and GM, yet for some reason the vultures are descending like it was worse. Odd, but everyone likes to
attack the big dog, which VW is.

I'd buy a TDI in a heartbeat, and probably will as soon as the stop sell is lifted.

The class action suits are already trying to pin a number of deaths that have been attributable to increased emissions by all of those vehicles. I'm not on any side of the argument, but yeah VW will be accused of causing deaths by their cheating ways.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Nick, why did you sit on that VW instead of dumping it when you got the Camry? Have you been checking CL to see what Phx prices are doing?
Wells Fargo is a garbage bank who has been taking their sweet time sending the lien release to us. The car was paid off 5 years ago but no title was mailed to my aunt. It took a lot of battling but the lien release finally showed up in the mail yesterday. Now we have to go get a title for it.

Once I have the title, it can go for sale. I've wanted it gone for a while now, it's been sitting for 2 1/2 months.

The test wasnt too hard and it wasnt impossible to pass, it was just too easy to pass by breaking the law. Obviously it is possible to build a diesel that will pass emissions. If GM and FCA could do it in their light trucks and the Cruze, VW could have as well. If the cost is too great and it therefor it isnt worth the effort, do as Ford and many others do and avoid the diesel passenger car market in the US altogether. If its too hot in the kitchen, get out!

Blaming the EPA for VW’s cheating is like blaming the school’s rules about fighting when your kid breaks them and is expelled. It is beyond ignorant to suggest such. If the EPA’s rules made it impossible to pass, then you might have something, but clearly that is not the case.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyMerrill
I am impressed that VW intentionally cheated on emission control laws. Sad they were caught.

idiotic

Easy there my tree hugging friend. The man is just giving his opinion.

I personally never saw the value of diesel cars given our fuel prices, excellent gas mpg and stupid premium paid to acquire a diesel.

The test wasnt too hard and it wasnt impossible to pass, it was just too easy to pass by breaking the law.

This is the circular problem. The rules are so stringent these days, and have been for a significant period, particularly in gasoline engines, that there has to be a great deal of computer control. OBD-II became mandatory, for that matter. So, with the proliferation of computer controls, and much of the testing done by computer, it shouldn't surprise anyone that people would be using code to their own advantage.

The only people I see with a problem are the ones that like to trade every couple years or have to pass emissions test via computer hook up. If you like the car and it runs well just drive it until it quits.
The big deal being made about it is because the different govt's see a giant cash cow that can afford huge fines. That is what it is all about. The EPA is about collecting shake down money not protecting us.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

idiotic

Easy there my tree hugging friend. The man is just giving his opinion.

you take it easy. people have been fighting against our clean air and water laws since day one, you don't have to be a tree hugger to know that clean air and water important, you just have to have two brain cells to rub together

Originally Posted By: Garak
The test wasnt too hard and it wasnt impossible to pass, it was just too easy to pass by breaking the law.

This is the circular problem. The rules are so stringent these days, and have been for a significant period, particularly in gasoline engines, that there has to be a great deal of computer control. OBD-II became mandatory, for that matter. So, with the proliferation of computer controls, and much of the testing done by computer, it shouldn't surprise anyone that people would be using code to their own advantage.

wrong. the other diesels pass the emissions and so do some other diesel VW's without cheating.

They broke the law to make more money. DEF technology costs money and they could have easily solved the problem by using it. Instead they cheated to make their cars look less expensive than they should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back