Is it safe to use 5W30 oil instead of 5W20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote I already mentioned my car's mileage in my first post. it's 48 thousand miles. I did 3k oci at fast track, but then got tired of overpaying and their constant attempts to sell stuff. I realy don't have that much od an obsession about it. it just there is way too many opinions and i want to get a general idea about safe OCI without oil analysis.

OK, I think I can help. You state there are way too many opinions (although you asked for them!), and you want a "...general idea about safe OCI without oil analysis." This is very easy, you actually gave the answer in your next post where your manual states 5000 miles for severe useage and 10,000 miles for normal usage, on NON-synthetic oil. THAT'S YOUR ANSWER, without all the opinions you aren't liking. IF you were to do UOA's, you'd find that your manual is correct in it's recommendations. You do have oilitis...

It sounds as though you may have Oilitis, a condition that commonly occurs when one begins to focus heavily on automotive engine lubrication. Symptoms include buying oil well in advance of actually needing it, hoarding oil and spending way too much time obsessing over what brand of oil/filter to use for the next drain/fill. Other common, but less frequent, symptoms include heightened auditory and motion perception. Chronic sufferers report being able to notice .5 hp differences when changing from one brand of oil to another.
laugh.gif

thumbsup.gif
laugh.gif

True enough, you did mention the miles on your Civic. I guess all those things my wife says about me not noticing things that are right in front of my face are true. Don't tell her I admitted this though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back