08 Ford 5.4 3v 138k oil consumption 5w30

Howdy all, I have a 2008 Ford F150 5.4 3v with 138k. I took ownership of it about 75k and it was maintained with regular oil changes and 5w20 by the previous owner(gave me records). I continued my oil change intervals 5w30 synthetic with various different brands but all of good quality. My oil change interval would vary based on time and usage but nothing ever over 10k. My current oil change was filled with 5w30 Mobil1 Extended Performance High Mileage and a Fram XG2. I am at about 3,600 miles on this fill and checked the dip stick today and my trucks oil level was just above the fill mark. No visual leaks or signs of anything wrong. Any idea what could be going on? Just seems a bit excessive if it’s burning it.

Thanks all for the help!

the PCV valve may need to be replaced. the oil should not be at fault, may want to change oil fairly soon and see if this helps, also do a uoa to determine if anything is going on with engine.

Um how much is it burning? and before this did it burn too little to worry about or none and just surprised you this time around.

myself and some others have had burning issues with mobil products, not saying it’s a bad oil it just burns in my truck. i would try swapping to either castrol or valvoline next OCI and see if it changes anything it the PCV valve is deemed well.

the PCV valve may need to be replaced. the oil should not be at fault, may want to change oil fairly soon and see if this helps, also do a uoa to determine if anything is going on with engine.
The PCV is non serviceable on this truck and is built into the driver side valve cover. I did find this online:

IMCV or intake manifold crankcase vent valve as my ford tech calls it. There are also 2 valves, one on the valve cover which is nothing more than a check valve, then the IMCV which is heated and PCM monitored for current draw needed to reach set temp. if it requires to much current the PCM will indicate it is malfunctioning. the IMCV can be cleaned fwiw, but only with something that leaves no residue on the heater element.

Um how much is it burning? and before this did it burn too little to worry about or none and just surprised you this time around.
Almost a quart in about 3,600 miles. It would burn/lose a little before and I would top it off just because I like my dipstick being at the full level. To me it definitely seems like it’s increased though since this last oil change.

myself and some others have had burning issues with mobil products, not saying it’s a bad oil it just burns in my truck. i would try swapping to either castrol or valvoline next OCI and see if it changes anything it the PCV valve is deemed well.
Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely look into switching brands on the next OCI. The PCV on this truck is considered non-serviceable and it’s built into the driver side valve cover and cannot be changed unless you buy a whole new valve cover I couldn’t find anything saying people are having trouble with them.

Lost a camshaft using Mobil 1. A coincidence? Maybe. I’ve read about valvetrain failures in other forums with vehicle owners using Mobil products. Coincidence? Maybe. Try another motor oil. I’ve stuck with Valvoline.

Lost a camshaft using Mobil 1. A coincidence? Maybe. I’ve read about valvetrain failures in other forums with vehicle owners using Mobil products. Coincidence? Maybe. Try another motor oil. I’ve stuck with Valvoline.
Yikes! Yeah I will for sure.

What engine?

5.3 GM. Coincidence? Maybe. Using Valvoline now with a 5.3 at 93k. No problems. Coincidence? Maybe. Not going to switch to prove either way…

My brothers '07 5.4 uses around a quart per 3500-4,000 miles. I like the suggestion of changing the PCV valve. It also might benefit from some cleaning; maybe HPL EC, MMO or BG EPR.

As an aside, I wouldn't go beyond 5k OCI's with this motor; they are fickle to say the least.

Reactions: wlk
The 5.4L 3-valve engine needs to have 5k oil changes. End of story. Even at that you will need to monitor the timing chain and phasers.

At the 5k interval mark, it would be very typical for that engine to use 0.5 up to 1 qt of oil.

PCV maint is a good idea, and I have found the factory ford PCV will work a little bit better than the fram.

Heavy towing? Do you cruise in OD cancel? Any heavy loads?

The 5.4L 3-valve engine needs to have 5k oil changes. End of story. Even at that you will need to monitor the timing chain and phasers.

At the 5k interval mark, it would be very typical for that engine to use 0.5 up to 1 qt of oil.

PCV maint is a good idea, and I have found the factory ford PCV will work a little bit better than the fram.

Heavy towing? Do you cruise in OD cancel? Any heavy loads?
The PCV is built into the valve cover and is not replaceable unless you buy a whole valve cover. Please correct me if I’m wrong?
The truck has done some some heavy towing every now and then but not that frequently. The last several months of driving she has done nothing but highway driving with a daily average of about 105 miles a day four days a week. No cruising in OD cancel unless towing heavy loads.

I will decrease my OCI to 5k.

Should I try and de-carbon the intake with sea foam? Maybe add something to the oil before next oil change?

Could the IMV/intake manifold crankcase vent valve be a problem? Part Tube Assembly - Ford (7L3Z-9F695-A)

IMG_9437.jpg

Howdy all, I have a 2008 Ford F150 5.4 3v with 138k. I took ownership of it about 75k and it was maintained with regular oil changes and 5w20 by the previous owner(gave me records). I continued my oil change intervals 5w30 synthetic with various different brands but all of good quality. My oil change interval would vary based on time and usage but nothing ever over 10k. My current oil change was filled with 5w30 Mobil1 Extended Performance High Mileage and a Fram XG2. I am at about 3,600 miles on this fill and checked the dip stick today and my trucks oil level was just above the fill mark. No visual leaks or signs of anything wrong. Any idea what could be going on? Just seems a bit excessive if it’s burning it.

Thanks all for the help!
Ive got a 2004 5.4 that I bought new that has 243K miles. It doesn't burn any oil between changes. You’re correct- the PCV is not changeable. I’ve changed the oil with 5W-30 PUP @ 5000 miles since new. Knock on wood- haven’t had a single engine related problem. You might try the Pennzoil.
IMG_0333.jpeg

I would add a quart of 50 wt to bring it to the top, After that go with 40wt.
I see no reason to shorten change intervals. Thats just me

Thanks all for the help!

Your oil level is above the Fill Mark, or just above. You are not burning oil, at least I hope not. Take the car for a drive, come back and park it on a flat surface, wait a few hours and check the oil level again. A few hours could be 3 or 6 hours, since you live in Houston, maybe 8 ta 10 or 12 hours. Good Luck, and keep us posted, we are here 2 help you out.

Back