Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold LU for a 12% loss today, sold cien for a 15% gain in 2 weeks. Sold ckp for an 8% loss and sold nipy (NEC) for a loss. Getting rid of the losers before the end of the year, since I had some really nice gains on others. I need to get my portfolio in order to see where I am overall on the year!

Another 20% pop for CMGI!
cheers.gif
INTC is being a dog I am almost fed up with it! That means I probably need to buy more.
wink.gif
grin.gif

OK, my retirement portfolio for 2004:

Main Mutual fund account up 14.22%
Main Stock account up 22.61%
401K overall up 51.50%*
401K fund growth 14.1%

Overall growth about 22%. (21.98%)

*includes 2004 pretax additions and employer matching.

I will publish the popular comparison #'s later.

Pony up. Or not. I'm sure you guys beat me good, but I'm pretty sure I beat the "averages" which remain my goal.

Well I was up 13% in my taxable brokerage account.

I averaged 13.07 in my IRA. And my wifes IRA was 3.66%. (this is with 4 differenct Janus funds 2 for me and 2 for her)

Wow, the pro's didn't even come close to my return or the S&P which as listed on the Vanguard site has a YTD return of 10.74%.

I would like to congratulate Pablo on a job well done. I know in your tax sheltered accounts you don't have any capital gains so that's all pure return.

On my brokerage account, I'll have to pay gains on some of that since I did do some buying and selling. I dont' think much though. I figured about $520 in gains which worked out to 2% of my total gain so that would be approximately 11% for the year. Still beating the S&P which will have capital gains as well (though not as much since it's an index)

[ January 01, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

The info I see indicates the Total Stock Market was up 12.52% for 2004 and the S&P 500 was up 10.74%.

My weighted average return was 11.51%, got hurt by Health Care and Managed Large Cap Growth Fund.

Ugly3 - sounds about right. My Barron's was dated yesterday due to the holiday. I haven't searched the web for the various "yardsticks".

It's easy to find some fund that, all by itself, was up 15-25% in 2004......but yeah right - we can find those for 2005???

As for my performance - I must tell you guys I had some suck stock picks in Nov - Dec that pulled me down a bit, especially December. And some other I got in and nada happened. I do think I am OK positioned for the start of 2005...we shall see.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
The info I see indicates the Total Stock Market was up 12.52% for 2004 and the S&P 500 was up 10.74%.

My weighted average return was 11.51%, got hurt by Health Care and Managed Large Cap Growth Fund.

Here are funds listed on vanguard. You can look up the S&P and the total market, as well as small medium and other indexs

http://flagship5.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw/FundsByName

My 04 gains figure out to be 12.68%, just about matching the overall market. Like Pablo (congratulations by the way), I had some lousy trades in Dec. Up until then I was doing about 15%, and real proud of myself....
tongue.gif

Oh well, I'll take it, and try to trade smarter in 05.

Ranger - that's the point really. I was just sitting and watching....sure I'd try to get the best funds, and yes I would do OK....but then I always had some big portion MM cash funds....the goal of beating the market can hardly be accomplished with large portions in CASH (unless the market dives
blush.gif
grin.gif
)

It sucks that I bought 100 shares of GLD....
wink.gif

Anyone listen to Kudlow yesterday?

He fills in for Brinker. I think I follow Kudlow much better than Brinker. Maybe it's the optimistic bull in me or that I'm full of
smile.gif

Brinker I usually turn off after a bit...sorta basic, sorta heard it all before.

Kudlow has great guests! The Blog guy, etc.

He seems big on dividend stocks and small caps....but also likes selected techs and commodity based equities.

He is 200% bullish on the dollar. He seems to think the Euro will tank in 2005.

"Cover me, I'm going in....."
grin.gif

I just had to buy something today, and I pulled the trigger on GLW (Corning) because of the chart pattern, combined with good news out of China. (The company was found not liable for dumping low-cost fiber optic cable on the China market, good for about a penny on earnings.)

GLW went south today, along with the rest of the market. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.....

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
He is 200% bullish on the dollar. He seems to think the Euro will tank in 2005.

I think he is going to be wrong here. The dollar (IMHO) won't appreciate unless the Government looses their apitite for pork and deficit spending. With the plan to bail out SS that's not gonna happen. Even if the SS bailout doesn't occur, the politicians will find quicker ways to spend.

There is just no interest in proping up the dollar. And China is taking huge losses by pegging their currancy to the Dollar. In effect that is stabilizing the dollar. once this ends I think the dollar will free fall-I could be wrong here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back