The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

Median salary is like $56K.

One kid in daycare is running $20K plus per year. Barely makes sense to go to work at that point - driving, paying taxes, etc.

2 kids - your loosing money.
I recall a coworker saying he cannot wait until his 2 kids go to kindergarten, as their daycare is the same as their mortgage payment...that's out of whack imho and obviously wasn't the case when I grew up...

This whole high $$$ daycare excuse for women not working, and becoming stay at home moms is complete B.S. It was nothing more than a silly cycle based on the, "empowerment of modern women". A fad that fizzled out as almost as quickly as it started.

Women have been staying home to raise their kids since before the Industrial Revolution. Now, all of a sudden it's a big deal when they do. And today, when they quit, they somehow have to be, "counted" as non workers. When they never really were in the first place.

When I bought my first home in 1976 the bank would not even include a wife's income in a mortgage application. Because back then they expected her to quit her job, and start raising a family.... Which most did.

Raising kids exploded after WWII ended, and the baby boomer generation was created. Then, starting in the late 70's, and well into the 80's, all of a sudden, "a woman's place is in the kitchen" became this huge social insult.

So they started making noise about equality, along with women having careers and raising kids at the same time. Then in the late 80's and into today, they started to realize that didn't work out so well. Kids need to be raised by their parents... Not strangers.

At the same time capitalism kicked in, and these daycare places started to realize they could make a good buck off of these 2 career, yuppie families.

Daycare then got so expensive, the light bulb finally went off, and these people all realized what most should have known in the first place.

So women went back to being stay at home moms. The only thing that suffered, is they couldn't buy as big of a house, along with all the crap to fill it with.

When all of this was taking place it never really moved the unemployment needle much, if at all either way. Today it's higher because there are more people who simply aren't interested in working... And the actual numbers prove it. Not "modern women" who can't make up their minds about, "having a career".

Last edited:
Well, I guess that would be someone who doesn't work that used to.... And you really don't need a "chart" to figure this out. Especially if you have lived long enough to actually see it all transpire.
Well your rant is pertinent to this thread to a degree. There are those here that believe the degradation of restaurant service is lack of workers. That could be true, but the lack is not that no one wants to work - but instead that our working age population relative to the total population is smaller than ever. More women in the workforce means less children. Our numbers are actually much, much better than places like Japan or Germany, and even Canada, where the birth rates have collapsed even further.

All population growth over the last couple decades have been extended life expectancy, not births or even immigration. So less children = less workers. Higher percentage of retired population than ever. Workers retiring early due to stock market gains, etc.

Now personally I am happy my two daughters went to college to study engineering rather than serve someone eggs in a smoke filled greasy spoon, like my mother did from time to time when I was growing up. But to each their own I suppose.

There are those here that believe the degradation of restaurant service is lack of workers.

I think it's not only a lack of workers, but also the lack of work ethic displayed by many of them today. Many get jobs and don't even show up for them. Or else perform poorly, much like O'Reilly mentioned that he experienced at Chili's.

More women in the workforce means less children. Our numbers are actually much, much better than places like Japan or Germany, and even Canada, where the birth rates have collapsed even further.
Remember marriage itself is down over 60% over what it was in the 70's. That also means more babies born out of wedlock. With blacks it's as high as 70% of all newborns are fatherless.

That's not good regardless of how you try to, "chart it". I remember back in the 70's when Roe V Wade was passed, that was hailed as the cure all, that was supposed to prevent this very thing. Now it's worse than ever.

Now personally I am happy my two daughters went to college to study engineering......
There is nothing more important than teaching a kid self reliance. And the better educated they are, the more self reliant they become. This regardless of sex.

With that said, there is a lot of money spent on college degrees today that are a total waste. We've all heard how too many are being trained at great tuition costs, for jobs that no longer exist. Or else pay poorly.

I think it's not only a lack of workers, but also the lack of work ethic displayed by many of them today. Many get jobs and don't even show up for them. Or else perform poorly, much like O'Reilly mentioned that he experienced at Chili's.

Remember marriage itself is down over 60% over what it was in the 70's. That also means more babies born out of wedlock. With blacks it's as high as 70% of all newborns are fatherless.

That's not good regardless of how you try to, "chart it". I remember back in the 70's when Roe V Wade was passed, that was hailed as the cure all, that was supposed to prevent this very thing. Now it's worse than ever.

There is nothing more important than teaching a kid self reliance. And the better educated they are, the more self reliant they become. This regardless of sex.

With that said, there is a lot of money spent on college degrees today that are a total waste. We've all heard how too many are being trained at great tuition costs, for jobs that no longer exist. Or else pay poorly.
When I was working my first job, I was hourly. Tuition reimbursement was 100%, unlimited. I decided to use it to its full extent and got a MBA. Tax free I might add (there was reimbursement either after tax by check, or through income. Although the IRS defined it in reality it boiled down to the approver).

That was already gone by 1999 on my second job, where there was like a $3k limit and stipulation to be repaid if leaving the co in x mos. One was not even in 1999 able
To pay for a semester, part time.

But on my second job I was salaried and for the entire staff there were two off site training and one conference per year for everyone. I went to New Orleans and stayed at a hotel $450/night in 2002, and I can’t tell everyone how many other places they sent me carte blanche. And, I could not ship a UPS package without director approval. 😂

Today? One sees execs with certificates (not degrees) from all the prestigious schools paid for by their employer and costing a fortune.

When I look back at all this, I believe employers go with trends and divert resources accordingly. I actually feel with the first scenario I had skin in the game. Waiting for my grades to be reimbursed for grad school. Below C, (incl C-), no reimbursement. I was hourly and took every bit of overtime I could get.

When I saw a chain fast food mgr in CA this AM saying we’re not hiring nor backfilling and the $20/hr is taking its toll on our business, I believed him. What’s right? What’s wrong? My rambling .02

Seems like a live in nanny would be cheaper, and she could clean the house as part of the deal.
I’ve always wondered about that. It’s odd to me many of them are like tiger Woods’ ex wife. That’s distracting to the dad and any teenage boys and imho trouble. I can’t afford an au pair so was never a problem

$200K, less 22% federal income tax, then less maybe 4% state income tax, less 7.65% Fica, property tax, sales tax, and $200K becomes $100K really quick.
Not to be snobby but I wouldn’t think that a typical family with an income in the 200’s would have an au pair.

That number as a median income usually indicates a well to do town. However, that’s median.

Think about it, there are towns where police officers earn solid 200’s. Do they have au pairs? Usually not.

I do have a buddy in Brookline MA whose kids’ kindergarten was in the mid 50’s. This is a different class of folks and yes they have au pairs. They are not too concerned about fast food service in decline 😂

Not to be snobby but I wouldn’t think that a typical family with an income in the 200’s would have an au pair.

That number as a median income usually indicates a well to do town. However, that’s median.

Think about it, there are towns where police officers earn solid 200’s. Do they have au pairs? Usually not.

I do have a buddy in Brookline MA whose kids’ kindergarten was in the mid 50’s. This is a different class of folks and yes they have au pairs. They are not too concerned about fast food service in decline 😂
Exactly. The ones with the an aupair are those earning >600K, most likely low 7 digits. BTW, there are more and more of those around here now than ever before.

Exactly. The ones with the an aupair are those earning >600K, most likely low 7 digits. BTW, there are more and more of those around here now than ever before.
Exactly…I mean a while back I met a parent at a sports event so I asked him what he did. I think it probably came across wrong but he said I’m a partner at (big 4). Right away I thought oh 7 figures, I’m human. His wife went to a private Hs where I grew up K-12. And amazing even though it’s 4 1/2 hours away? We seem to not make much of such coincidences today. I thought wow that’s funny.

Exactly…I mean a while back I met a parent at a sports event so I asked him what he did. I think it probably came across wrong but he said I’m a partner at (big 4). Right away I thought oh 7 figures, I’m human. His wife went to a private Hs where I grew up K-12. And amazing even though it’s 4 1/2 hours away? We seem to not make much of such coincidences today. I thought wow that’s funny.
I'll just say that I have met some C-Suite folks while buying items off facebook marketplace. Thoughtful networking goes a long way - and every new interaction gives you practice.

Your not being snobby at all, thats my point. After taxes and such, $200K isn't rich anymore, depending on where you live. A couple making $200K gives the first $67K to the government before they even get started.

People whining about poor staff and service and prices at low end restaurants like Chilis. 😂 or fast food.

I am glad the labor market has tightened up and gives folks previously working at these establishments significantly better opportunities career wise and not serving sad complainers posting here.

My daughter works in food service (high end smoothi3
E/natural foods and pressed juices) as high school job and all the decent managers moved onto to way higher paying, benefits etc and career path oriented roles.

• Love
Reactions: Pew
People whining about poor staff and service and prices at low end restaurants like Chilis. 😂 or fast food.

I am glad the labor market has tightened up and gives folks previously working at these establishments significantly better opportunities career wise and not serving sad complainers posting here.

My daughter works in food service (high end smoothi3
E/natural foods and pressed juices) as high school job and all the decent managers moved onto to way higher paying, benefits etc and career path oriented roles.
east coast snobbery

Back