Interesting response from Mobil regarding AFE 0W-20

And the other Mobil 1 oils that are on there are spelled out… Mobil I Extended Performance… or Mobil I Truck and SUV .

There is no Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy spelled out there on that list.

Very peculiar.
It's not peculiar once you recall the genesis of the product. The Mobil 1 AFE oils were originally just Mobil 1 oils in the 0W-20 and 0W-30 grades. Mobil recommended them for any application that called for 5W-20 and 0W-30 respectively. In order to make them stand out a bit more, they added the green caps and alternative label and "Advanced Fuel Economy" tag line on the label, the oil itself remained unchanged.

This is different from the EP and High Mileage oils, which are actually separate families of formulations.

It's not peculiar once you recall the genesis of the product. The Mobil 1 AFE oils were originally just Mobil 1 oils in the 0W-20 and 0W-30 grades. Mobil recommended them for any application that called for 5W-20 and 0W-30 respectively. In order to make them stand out a bit more, they added the green caps and alternative label and "Advanced Fuel Economy" tag line on the label, the oil itself remained unchanged.

This is different from the EP and High Mileage oils, which are actually separate families of formulations.
Yup - actually used 0W30 before 0W20 … it was first to hit the shelf here long before 0W20 was on the fill caps.
It was not moving in the south - so quickly got marked down and stashing happens 😷

So, can you explain this.

AFE is using a dexos base stock?

I see (6) approved 0w20's from Mobil 1 on the GM list (below). How many do they make? AFE is likely one of them.

I just went on their website and counted (6) 0w20's, which matches the GM list.

1675867773277.png

Last edited:
If anything it’s likely a delay in publishing the license number. Back in September of last year ExxonMobil signed a multi-year agreement with GM to supply the dealer network with lubricants. Mobil 1 products are part of that deal so it’s highly unlikely EM is lying about this product.

I see (6) approved 0w20's from Mobil 1 on the GM list (below). How many do they make? AFE is likely one of them.

I just went on their website and counted (6) 0w20's, which matches the GM list.

View attachment 139403
On a side note, I see two 5W-30 entries with the same ecxact dexos license number D340ATDE015. Typo or double entry, or ??

Well, I guess this sums it up. M1 0w20 AFE is DEXOS 1 GEN 3. 🙈🙈🙊🙊
If it's plastered all over the bottle, even though there's no dexos license number shown, I'd have to trust Mobil in their claims. The absence of the license number on the bottle is probably an over-sight, or not there for some reason that nobody here knows for sure.

If it's plastered all over the bottle, even though there's no dexos license number sshown, I'd have to trust Mobil in their claims. The absence of the license number on the bottle is probably an over-sight, or not there for some reason that nobody here knows for sure.
You will also only find it on Mobil 1 0W20 and 5W30 (in the Dexos 1.3) bottles - and no longer on 5W20 -
that’s it besides the other Dexos levels like 2 or D etc …

I already have AFE in the engine so not going to dump it out over this but I do want it to be labeled correctly so we can make better choices when it comes to buying

Back