in shame; atf for subaru 4eat and frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding a magnet wrap around filter? I'm surprised you/we haven't talked about that.
Sounds simple and non evasive.

I will be pulling pan this time. Cleaning OEM magnet and attempting to fix oil seapage(rtv ultra black)

Filter does its job. And pulls metal with it when its taken off.

I downloaded manuals in my phone. That's where the info came from.

Originally Posted By: 91camarosRS
Adding a magnet wrap around filter?

Two problems with that. One, the magnet is on the wrong side of the steel. Two, the little that it does trap cannot be cleaned and the OE filter is very expensive.

Your best bet (aside from adding magnets to the pan/reservoir) is to install an original Magnefine or similar. The lines are very easy to access from underneath, you just need to verify fluid-flow direction. I'd put it on the HOT side.

You could try adding some to the inside of the filter but it's pretty tiny and there's not much room to work with.

Again, $4 of (good) magnets from the hardware store will give you several times better filtration of the most harmful particles.

I'm happy to report, it now has new brake fluid!

Good job. One down ...

I think my help(daughter &myself messed up slightly) loading it on trailer brakes were not tight. Kinda spongy. I think there is air. I wish I didn't throw bottle away! There I go getting carried away...

Btw that filtermag fits. Prob could put two on.

But I don't think worth the $60 I paid all said and done.

But I don't think worth the $60 I paid all said and done.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it or recommend it even if it was $5. Won't do any harm really, just don't remove it once it's in place.

Last edited:
Now, on the other hand if you disassemble those magnet-straps and get the magnets free you can get some real filtering done.

Put one or two in your power-steering reservoir (once it's cleaned out) and the rest in your tranny pan (stick to the perimeter or to the intake shield) and you'll have MUCH improved filtering.

But if you sold those filter-mags you could just buy the magnets direct for a few dollars.

?

I know you are probably right. Just to see, ill keep for now. I already replaced pan.

Once all done I will cut filter just to see what,if anything, it caught.

I'll post results.

I hate rtv BTW. Pain in *** to remove

Of course.

Inside and out(to try and find leaks) removed magnet and cleaned under it.

Removed screen and cleaned that too.

Not the best measurement method, but I filled a 2l 2.6 times so I added 2.5 gallons of fluid. Once I get car off ramps and level, ill recheck.

It just came to me, ill be taking out motor, so I can easily remove converter, any way to drain this? Then I can refill before I put back on?

I've seen plenty of filter mags results. They definitely catch iron. You can argue that the filter might have caught it at some point but I have seen improved particle counts with the filter mag too and that's the best reason I run it. I think it's good for removing the very low micron range.

Of course.

Good job!
wink.gif

It just came to me, ill be taking out motor, so I can easily remove converter, any way to drain this? Then I can refill before I put back on?

I've never drained the converter directly but the manual should show the procedure if there is one. I've always done the flush through the cooling line as it only takes about 30mins to complete.

I see your method. And would do that if it had less miles.

I was back and fourth. Then I just decided to pull trigger with drain and fill.
As said, I might see a leak or bigger problem slowly coming.
Magnet build-up
IMAG0248_zpsd6e7cebe.jpg

My screen was black, but cleaned up?
IMAG0252_zps1c8cb62b.jpg

Color
IMAG0238_zpsfac561b2.jpg

And can someone point me to correct way to bleed brakes so I don't have air? I thought i was doing it right..

Yep, that's a fully-loaded magnet alright (it's efficiency drops as it gets loaded). That magnet will be your primary protector for pulling metal out of the fluid. Remember, that magnet works on a large volume of fluid, 24hrs a day, non-stop.

Sounds like you're doing a good job and have lots of work to do still. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back