Is Subaru engine and transmission reliable?

When I first looked at Subaru 14 years ago, it was the head gasket problem. They seem to addressed most of that but has a new problem causing oil leak that would require engine-out repair costing a few thousands. Is the problem overblown or real? For example, Honda had the issue with its V6 AT but most people never experienced it even though most Honda owners never change their ATF or doing 100k OCI if the dealerships up sale the service during free inspection. I have a V6 Accord and never had problem but I also change my ATF religiously. So how bad or how much headache Subaru ownership will be for those keeping cars until the tow truck comes to take it to the scrap yards. I keep hearing the need to change PVC, which I never do on Hondas.

My wife's '13 Outback has the FB25 engine and CVT. It is pushing 157k miles. The only service the engine has ever had is oil, filters, spark plugs, and cleaning the mass air flow sensor. CVT has had fluid changes at a 60k mile interval. That's it. Still going strong.

The only problem I've had with my wife's Outback is the puddle lights burning out. Stupid design. (Whoever thought it is a good idea to put lights on the bottom of a car, needs their head examined.) Oh, and it is one of the oil burners. Goes through a quart every 3k - 3.5k miles. Based on my experience, I would say they are rock solid dependable transportation. It has never failed us.

A friend from work had a Crosstrek. She had to have the CVT replaced. Her husband had an Impreza and also had CVT issues. They traded them both. I don't know the model years. Based on their experience, I would never buy a Subaru with a CVT.

My wife's '13 Outback has the FB25 engine and CVT. It is pushing 157k miles. The only service the engine has ever had is oil, filters, spark plugs, and cleaning the mass air flow sensor. CVT has had fluid changes at a 60k mile interval. That's it. Still going strong.

The only problem I've had with my wife's Outback is the puddle lights burning out. Stupid design. (Whoever thought it is a good idea to put lights on the bottom of a car, needs their head examined.) Oh, and it is one of the oil burners. Goes through a quart every 3k - 3.5k miles. Based on my experience, I would say they are rock solid dependable transportation. It has never failed us.

A friend from work had a Crosstrek. She had to have the CVT replaced. Her husband had an Impreza and also had CVT issues. They traded them both. I don't know the model years. Based on their experience, I would never buy a Subaru with a CVT.
I am confused. Your CVT has been great, but friends have not. I assume you feel you were just lucky? Just trying to understand. I too have Subaru as a no go for me because of the CVT mainly.

Subaru AWD in sedans and crossovers is way better than the offerings from Honda and Toyota but it is such a crapshoot.

I just spec’ed out a Crosstrek Wilderness and it is the same price as a Tacoma SR 4WD crew cab with king bed at MSRP. Of course, I rather not deal with Toyota dealership locally as they keep 2 new and 1 used vehicles on the lot and want to charge markup for everything while making people wait several months while the dealership scour the web for lowest cost to fullfil order. Same with the Kia dealership. At least the Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and Fiat dealership here has plenty of cars even when they mark it up to the sky.

I am confused. Your CVT has been great, but friends have not. I assume you feel you were just lucky? Just trying to understand. I too have Subaru as a no go for me because of the CVT mainly.
That is my indirectly experience with Subaru, they are crapshoots in term of reliable as they may only have a few problems but those problems require engine-out repairs such as the latest oil leak and the previous blow head gaskets. Both problems are caused by Sanira knowingly go with wrong parts or material in their planned obsolescence scams.

Head gasket issues and oil consumption was fixed a long time ago. The 2019+ 2.5L DI engines and cvt are rock solid. I love our 2021 Outback limited. I'll certainly be loyal to Subaru form now on. OEM parts are always rock solid made in Japan.

I had (gave to Granddaughter) a 2018 Forester that I bought brand new. Has around 75,000 miles now.
Had 2 flat tires from running over road debris, and finally needed a new battery last fall. Flawless so far.

Always maintained it well. Engine oil changed by 5000 miles. Differential oils, brake fluids, CVT oil, antifreeze
all swapped out around 30,000 miles and 60,000. Filters all changed per owner manual intervals.

At 18 years old in Iowa, I wanted her to have a good vehicle. Makes me feel better in winter with her having
Subaru AWD.

Hard one for me. Mechanically, my 17 3.6 is at 165k and zero issues. I can't substantiate this but I read the head gasket issues were resolved by Porshe redesigning the plenum....fact? Cant verify. My Outback is a limited model and I didn't have the choice of the tech. All of the tech works, and it works well. It works as good as my old lady's 2022 BMW 4 series. My CVT at this mileage feels every bit as tight as it did since new. I also am a maintenance guy. I would recommend 50-60k CVT fluid replacement. I believe in it. I'm due in another month or so and I did a UOA on my last one and will do another and post it.

Where I get fired up is the cracking "leather seats;" the underpowered OEM battery; cheap trim; liftgate is fussy; and the **** nanny crap. And the center infotainment screens are know to blow. Hubs are often weak (mine are still OEM but plenty have had to do them much earlier. They wear tires on the outside but the AWD is phenomenal and durable. Every bit as good as my last 3 Series BMW and that one was great. You need to step up to a 4WD pick up for better, IMO.

Overall, mine has been solid but the little things really irk me.

OP, which “oil leak” issue are you referring to? The only one I’m aware of was part of the EJ25 head gasket issue, they would externally leak coolant and oil due to galvanic corrosion when the ground straps were in poor condition and the coolant was not properly serviced.

My 07 Impreza has some of the oil leak (~4oz per OCI is literally insignificant) but I’ve never really heard of any issues on the 6 cylinders or the FA/FB series.

As others have chimed in, if you’re past the 2016 model year there are really no real issues.

Sure, every now and then there may be failures, but these days the majority are directly traceable to lack of maintenance or abuse. The ‘18 Forester I care for is over 80k and never had anything other than fluid changes and filters, and a couple bulbs that burned out. I’ve got over 500k miles traveled in various Subarus, and other than a few CV axles and wheel bearings (all on the far side of 150k) they’re as solid as anything. 👍🏻

I have often wondered the same thing. Is it luck? Or is it the maintenance (fluid changes) that I have put into the CVT on my car? I would like to think that it is the maintenance. But truthfully, I don't know.

When I said "Based on their experience, I would never buy a Subaru with a CVT.", I should have been more clear. What I should have said is, if I based my decision solely upon their experience, I would never buy another Subaru.

OP, which “oil leak” issue are you referring to? The only one I’m aware of was part of the EJ25 head gasket issue, they would externally leak coolant and oil due to galvanic corrosion when the ground straps were in poor condition and the coolant was not properly serviced.

My 07 Impreza has some of the oil leak (~4oz per OCI is literally insignificant) but I’ve never really heard of any issues on the 6 cylinders or the FA/FB series.

As others have chimed in, if you’re past the 2016 model year there are really no real issues.

Sure, every now and then there may be failures, but these days the majority are directly traceable to lack of maintenance or abuse. The ‘18 Forester I care for is over 80k and never had anything other than fluid changes and filters, and a couple bulbs that burned out. I’ve got over 500k miles traveled in various Subarus, and other than a few CV axles and wheel bearings (all on the far side of 150k) they’re as solid as anything. 👍🏻

This one here posted by Mr. Subaru. I don’t own a Sub and really like one but each time I start thr shoooing research, there is always some major concern and Subaru’s problems seem to require engine removal to repair what look like an obvious built-in obsolescence.

When I was in college I had a 01 Subaru legacy and the head gasket blew. There was a local Subaru mechanic in town, and luckily for me he refused to work on that year supposedly the worst year idk I can’t remember exactly. Just my experience with the one i had

My 2012 Impreza with the FB20 and CVT has been excellent. Currently has around 150K miles on it. Only fluid changes, two sets of tires, one set of rotors and pads at 145K (could have gone for another 50K but I got a good deal), one $12 pulley, and one $90 O2 sensor. All in all, it’s been a very reliable car.

Those are full size vehicles. I am thinking more of RAV4, even the super expensive TRD model, and CRV in comparison with Subaru. The Pilot is too big to be shared with family and the Passport is big and not worth the price. Mazda needs to bring back the MP 5 tiny van. Thst thing was great.

Back