in shame; atf for subaru 4eat and frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Why not just clean the RTV off and swap in a proper gasket?

The 'proper' gasket, in this case, IS the use of RTV.

No problems here it just takes a bit of experience.

I never scraped the pan with anything other than wood or plastic. Most of the RTV came off with a scrub-pad but it's not critical to get it all off, just make sure it is clean (no dirt, oil, residue) and dry.

Seriously, everything you said sounds spot-on to me. I bet if you pull the pan and carefully inspect the leaking area(s) it will make sense.

If you do, try to post of pic of it. Might help someone else down the road.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Why not just clean the RTV off and swap in a proper gasket?

The 'proper' gasket, in this case, IS the use of RTV.

No problems here it just takes a bit of experience.

RTV is fine from a manufacturing standpoint (cheaper) and it works as well as a gasket (maybe better) but if you are opening something up frequently enough, then why use something that is not re-usable? If I am not going to be the next person dropping the pan, then yeah, use RTV. If I am going to be the next person, then a gasket goes on.

if you are opening something up frequently enough, then why use something that is not re-usable?

Simple, gaskets are not re-useable (in general). Also, RTV is much cheaper.

In some situations you can get away with it (non-critical). In some situations you can re-use if you treat/dope the gasket with a type of sealant. In most applications the gasket should not be re-used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq
if you are opening something up frequently enough, then why use something that is not re-usable?

Simple, gaskets are not re-useable (in general). Also, RTV is much cheaper.

In some situations you can get away with it (non-critical). In some situations you can re-use if you treat/dope the gasket with a type of sealant. In most applications the gasket should not be re-used.

Not necessarily. If it is a rubber or multi-layer rubber gasket that is not distorted and not excessively old, then you can definitely reuse it. I would no re-use a cheap cork gasket. Now, if you were dropping the pan every couple of years, reuse it if there is not deformation, it if has been 10-12 or more years, then it could be replaced.

I have the 3m stuff now. I have to re do this anyways. I'll try it. I'll even take pictures if I can, this stuff says fast cure(might be the key) holding pan with one hand while starting bolts with other is my issue. I may use jack to hold.

I need to do a couple.more drains anyways. If this leaks, ill go gasket next.

Looked yesterday, it doesn't like me. Looks like its everywhere....

IMAG0359_zpsc3a771a8.jpg

Originally Posted By: 91camarosRS
... holding pan with one hand while starting bolts with other is my issue. I may use jack to hold.

I used a couple of ~ 6" long dowels (chop-sticks) screwed into the tranny to align the pan while installing it. Worked great both times, keeps the RTV/pan from sliding around and it's much easier to find the holes when you know you're on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back