I'm recommending a Subaru Impreza for a fren's daughter (do you agree?)

I don't understand how Subaru still exists in the US or who is buying them.

Junk.
Interesting perspective. Having worked on hundreds of both makes and owned several, I would put VW and Subaru at basically the same level. Both are similar build quality to Toyota and Honda, but a bit quirkier and more expensive to maintain. VW wins the interior and aesthetics, but Subaru wins on utility. Cost of ownership is likely similar. If my daughter was choosing, I'd definitely recommend an AWD Impreza over a FWD Golf (that is, if VW even sold regular Golf's here anymore).

Mazda 3 hits a sweet spot too. It's got AWD and handling as good as Subaru, interior quality of the VW, and maintenance and reliability as good or better than Honda or Toyota. It does fall short in terms of cargo capacity, and of course seating comfort is subjective. Visibility, unfortunately, is also terrible which seems to be a high priority for OP.

;Tldr: Subaru for the win. If a slight upgrade in price is possible, you will not find better visibility in any vehicle than the Subaru Forester.

I don't understand how Subaru still exists in the US or who is buying them.

Junk.
lol I feel the same. Their HQ is near me and I can't stand the way their employees drive. A former boss got a VP job there and quit after 2 weeks--asked him why? He said the culture and also that he had to be in 5X/week.

The one thing I always wondered about is how come their engines sound like VW beetles when they get old? And true or not I always heard boxers consume a lot of fuel.

p.s.--let's be honest, isn't there a cool factor to Subaru, a cult aspect, like Apple, Volvo was in the 80's, Prius?

lol I feel the same. Their HQ is near me and I can't stand the way their employees drive. A former boss got a VP job there and quit after 2 weeks--asked him why? He said the culture and also that he had to be in 5X/week.

The one thing I always wondered about is how come their engines sound like VW beetles when they get old? And true or not I always heard boxers consume a lot of fuel.

p.s.--let's be honest, isn't there a cool factor to Subaru, a cult aspect, like Apple, Volvo was in the 80's, Prius?
And don't forget all the cool stickers Subaru offers to personalize your car and make it unique to you.

I have only ever owned one Subaru, but would buy another one tomorrow if I wanted another similar vehicle.

My Subaru may not have been quite as trouble free as some other vehicles I have owned, but I really like the AWD in typical snow and ice conditions in the winter where I live. (I own two other AWD / 4x4 vehicles and the Subaru is often the one I would pick if I had to drive on a typical snow or ice covered paved road..) Years ago I got a Subaru as a rental and ended up having to drive on some snow and ice covered back roads in the Northern Western US in the winter and was very happy with how well that Subaru performed on snow and Ice, I subsequently purchased one.

As usual the experiences and oppinons of others may differ from mine.
Since say 2016 subarus are as reliable as any vehicle. I have a 2018, and a 2022 and had a '19 Crosstrek. Zero problems.
HGs are a thing of the past thankfully.

Back