Hatchback with Decent Performance

I'm shopping for a new or used hatchback with good performance, or, maybe even a small wagon, that I can haul my bike in.
So far, only a VW GTI looks to fit the bill, although, the hatch is a little on the small side for the bike.

I liked the Mazda3, but I found the rear visibility poor. I liked the Impreza RS, but found it a little slow. I found the Honda Civic hatch and Acura Integra hatch decent, but I'm not completely sold on a CVT.
I found a fairly recent VW Golf Alltrack that was okay, but I found the price too high for my liking for a used car with somewhat high mileage.

Any other cars that might fit the bill?

Corolla hatchback, Mitts Mirage, Kia Rio or Soul, Hyundai Veloster…. And that’s all I could think of off the top of my head.

I wouldn’t worry about the Honda CVT. It is good to go. I had a Honda CVT out last multiple GM transmissions. Visibility is probably not gonna be great with any hatch. You’re gonna have to make some compromises with the segment being so small.

Honda makes a good CVT. You have nothing to worry about. Also, changing the fluid on it is easier than changing the oil. They don't pretend anything is "lifetime" fill, so Honda is more honest than the others, too.

You're worried about a Honda CVT yet considering a VW? o_O

The Corolla hatchback seems to be the best choice for you.

Would you consider a TourX, or is it too big or out of your budget? :unsure:

There are no slow cars anymore. Every new car is fast.

How about a used BMW 3-series wagon (2019)? Normally I am not a BMW fan but it could be a good fit if you can find a clean one with low miles. Here's a premium example, but there are lots of 2016-2018 for half this price:

Honda makes a good CVT.
Obligatory:

Honda makes a good CVT. You have nothing to worry about. Also, changing the fluid on it is easier than changing the oil. They don't pretend anything is "lifetime" fill, so Honda is more honest than the others, too.

You're worried about a Honda CVT yet considering a VW? o_O

The Corolla hatchback seems to be the best choice for you.

Would you consider a TourX, or is it too big or out of your budget? :unsure:

There are no slow cars anymore. Every new car is fast.
I guess a Honda or Acura would work. I not sure paying the extra for the Acura makes sense, even though I'd like the better Acura engine.

About a TourX: I actually wouldn't mind a Regal Sportback. It's not easy to find one for a good price.

How about a used BMW 3-series wagon (2019)? Normally I am not a BMW fan but it could be a good fit if you can find a clean one with low miles. Here's a premium example, but there are lots of 2016-2018 for half this price:
Could work. I'll keep looking. These seem difficult to find.

Is an automatic transmission a must?
Do you need AWD?

I may be wrong but I believe that the CIVIC Hatch can still be had with a manual tranny in turbo and non turbo.
My daughter has a Civic sedan with only the 2.0L non turbo and a CVT and it has enough power IMO but it may not for you.

However, the 2.0L with a manual should be very satisfying. And you wouldn’t have any worries with the CVT, the Turbo nor Direction Injection. Civics have enough power to move out of their own way while getting good fuel economy. To me, it’s the best of everything. An good condition used Civic Hatch could be ideal in the configuration that I mentioned.

And because you can’t get AWD in any Civic, this could also be ideal in MD. My daughter uses winter tires here in Western NY State( Buffalo/Rochester) and we get loads of snow. She says the Civic with winter tires is an animal. And you’d have a car, not a SUV.

Also in this configuration, you may be getting the most reliable non Turbo, non DI, non CVT vehicle in the US.

Last edited:
Mazda 3 would be my choice but haven’t seriously looked at others.
We have a 2012 skyactive 3 with 95k miles.

The Skyactive engine at the time was the highest compression mass produced engine in the world and still ran on regular gas.
It’s full of pep on acceleration, still surprises me. Car to this day has not needed a repair which is amazing. 11 years now, nothing but oil changes, tires and a battery or two.

It is a second car. Wife now works from home so sits around a lot and why low mileage.

Is an automatic transmission a must?
I may be wrong but I believe that the CIVIC Hatch can still be had with a manual tranny in turbo and non turbo.
My daughter has a Civic sedan with only the 2.0L non turbo and a CVT and it has enough power IMO but it may not for you. However, the 2.0L with a manual should be very satisfying. And you wouldn’t have any worries with the CVT, the Turbo nor Direction Injection. To me, it’s the best of everything. An good condition used Civic Hatch could be ideal in the configuration that I mentioned. And you’d have a car, not a SUV.
Good points.

Mazda 3 would be my choice but haven’t seriously looked at others.
We have a 2012 skyactive 3 with 95k miles.

The Skyactive engine at the time was the highest compression mass produced engine in the world and still ran on regular gas.
It’s full of pep on acceleration, still surprises me. Car to this day has not needed a repair which is amazing. 11 years now, nothing but oil changes, tires and a battery or two.

It is a second car. Wife now works from home so sits around a lot and why low mileage.
The latest 3 hatch's have huge rear pillars that mess up visibility and just look funny IMO. Still an excellent vehicle. If I needed to replace my 07 I'd be looking for the nicest 2013-2018 I could find with a manual.

Obligatory:

Problems with a Honda CVT are still much less common than Subaru and Nissan, for example :sneaky:

I watched a Civic hatch swallow a large 29" wheel dual suspension bike with the back tire on still, seats folded down. You could get those with a manual and the 1.5 turbo. Quite a few sedans can do the same thing with the rear wheel off.
The last years of the Focus hatch with a manual are on my wagon replacement list, and they are "fast enough" for me anyways.
I guess the new turbo Outbacks are pretty quick but expensive still, I like my slow one as mtb hauler, and it fits my large 29" HT with rear wheel on with only the one side of the rear seats folded.

Last edited:
Mini Cooper which will probably get voted down into oblivion. We cross shopped the Mazda 3 and Mini and ended up with a Mini fwiw.

Since you are open to looking BMW, all the good and bad is the same with MINI.

Back