8th gen Civic or 9th Gen Corolla?

I would beg to differ-I’ve gotten 42 hand calculated out of the manual Corolla in my sig, in WINTER highway driving. I personally don’t think the Civics are as durable as a Corolla. 438,000 trouble-free miles would be hard to beat in anything!
All my results are hand calculated and with automatic transmissions. Obviously a manual has less drivetrain losses, so more power and MPG. Also my posted MPG numbers are from normal everyday driving. Trying to hypermile would get both cars over 40MPG easily, but that's not a result every driver can achieve. So again, earlier posted numbers are what any driver can reach in 95% of normal daily driving scenarios.

Stay away from that gen Civic. The A/C systems are prone to failure, the front subframes rot in northern states, and they're much more difficult to service than a Corolla due to the cab-forward design. I couldn't stand working on 8th gen Civics.

Stay away from that gen Civic. The A/C systems are prone to failure, the front subframes rot in northern states, and they're much more difficult to service than a Corolla due to the cab-forward design. I couldn't stand working on 8th gen Civics.
8th gen Civics are always on the recommended buy list because they're well built and reliable. I think you saying to stay away from them might be going a bit overboard...

The overall build quality is on par with the Corolla, but the longevity isn't. That's all I was getting at.
I can agree with that, but I don't work anymore, and I doubt if I put 6K a year on my car now. It doesn't need to last 300-400K miles as I doubt I'll even be able to put 100K on it. 8th gen Civics should be able to go 200K+ miles without unreasonably high maintenance costs...I'm willing to make some trade-offs to get a more pleasurable car to drive...as much as I love the Corolla for it's Swiss watch-like reliability, it's a boring car...

I can agree with that, but I don't work anymore, and I doubt if I put 6K a year on my car now. It doesn't need to last 300-400K miles as I doubt I'll even be able to put 100K on it. 8th gen Civics should be able to go 200K+ miles without unreasonably high maintenance costs...I'm willing to make some trade-offs to get a more pleasurable car to drive...as much as I love the Corolla for it's Swiss watch-like reliability, it's a boring car...

If that's the case, the Civic will give you a better driving experience. 4 wheel independent suspension, more comfortable seats, and an overall better interior compartment.

If that's the case, the Civic will give you a better driving experience. 4 wheel independent suspension, more comfortable seats, and an overall better interior compartment.
That's what I'm thinking too...it also helps that I've driven a few Civics...

Reactions: hrv
In that case, is there a reason for sticking with the little econo-boxes? Not sure that the price would be much different going up to an Accord? Probably a lot smoother, quieter, and better built car.

Get the 8th gen Civic, it is a much better vehicle overall. In fact it is also better than 9th gen Civics.

However, pre-facelift 8th gen R18 engines had common issues like cracked engine blocks, though they were mostly replaced by Honda, it is something you should be aware of.

I'd say 2010-2011 MY are the best options, definitely avoid 2006-2008.

All my results are hand calculated and with automatic transmissions. Obviously a manual has less drivetrain losses, so more power and MPG. Also my posted MPG numbers are from normal everyday driving. Trying to hypermile would get both cars over 40MPG easily, but that's not a result every driver can achieve. So again, earlier posted numbers are what any driver can reach in 95% of normal daily driving scenarios.
Not hypermiling, just tires inflated to slightly over placard, 55-60 MPH back roads here in OH, but usually with 3 people or 500-600 extra pounds of tools, parts, etc. Driving intelligently, no blasting down I-75 at 80 or anything. I LOVED the Civics of old, one of my wife's first cars was an '89 3 door stripper, and we also had a $125 '90 wagon that I had a machinist buddy redo the head & I put rings & rod bearings in the engine in the driveway without even pulling it. Those motors didn't have a lot of power, but they were TOUGH! Not so sure about the newer ones, but my concept is if it ain't broke (Toyota), don't fix it.

Get the 8th gen Civic, it is a much better vehicle overall. In fact it is also better than 9th gen Civics.

However, pre-facelift 8th gen R18 engines had common issues like cracked engine blocks, though they were mostly replaced by Honda, it is something you should be aware of.

I'd say 2010-2011 MY are the best options, definitely avoid 2006-2008.
I would agree to a certain extent. '09-'11 are my preferred years, however, the cracked engine block issues have been worked out by now. All of the blocks that were going to crack have by now, and have been replaced. Those that haven't probably aren't going to crack. I will stay away from the '06 models altogether...

Back