I just paid $9.73 for 1 quart of M1 AFE 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
$9.73. ONE QUART.

I chose to top up a low oil level with it and not the 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40 QS or Napa oils on the shelf (now you know where I got it.)

$9.73.

Thoughts? ? ?

Will this cause you to lose sleep at night?
smile.gif

you want attention for even posting this here? thats my thoughts.

I mean I dont know what to say.. you dont mention what vehicle.
what it was a quart low. what your other choices were at what price?

how long the oil was in.

I have to assume this is an attention grab.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: 45ACP
$9.73. ONE QUART.

Thoughts? ? ?

you want attention for even posting this here? thats my thoughts.

What are your thoughts as to the oil? M1 is pretty popular. Is it worth $9.73?

Its the 03 Envoy. It was a little low and the oil shopping was brought on by the reported "stall" so it was a touch low; its at the right level now. You can assume all you want, this is as to the price of oil. It went in according to what was available and I chose it over the conventional QS and NAPA oils, went with something good but its twice as much as the across-town Walmart. Is this kind of a price jump justified?

The guy also said "Its not cheap, but its the best oil on the market." NAPA guy.

Quote:
Will this cause you to lose sleep at night?

Im pretty POd about it, yes.

According to the posts in sales and rebates, I was under the impression that all Mobil 1 oils were on sale, for $5.79 a quart, at all NAPA auto parts for the month of March.

Could it be the NAPA store, that you visited, is not participating in the Mobil 1 sale?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
According to the posts in sales and rebates, I thought that all Mobil 1 oils were on sale, for $5.79 a quart, at NAPA auto parts for the month of March.

Could it be the NAPA store, that you visited, is not participating in the Mobil 1 sale?

This is very very possible and I will have to check out this section/rebate! Perhaps it wasnt supposed to cost as much as it did. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I would never pay that for a top off oil. Find something else.

x2. Its a top off oil, usually you use cheaper oils to top off. I wouldn't even pay that for Mobil 1 in the first place. Don't get me wrong Mobil 1 is a good oil, but for the price of it, there are much better options.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I feel your pain, but at least you had the choice of paying less. The poor Canadians pay out the nose.

Yep. $9.73 for a quart of Mobil 1 AFE wouldn't be an outstanding good deal, but it would be a couple bucks cheaper than the regular price per quart.

Anyone who pays $10/L for synthetic oil is simply getting ripped off...even in Canada. It goes on sale quite regularly if you have patience and have any planning ability. Also, never buy by the 1L bottle...its always more $. I just picked up PP 4.75L jug for $24.98 = $5.26/L. That is nearly half the price.

...Most assuredly, M1 is not twice as good oil as PP...

Go buy a quart of Royal Purple from a Napa when its not on sale and you will think that M1 is a steal by comparison. I once say Royal Purple motorcycle oil that was 18 bucks a quart there. NUTS.

Okay...if that 4.2 is burning oil anyways, why would one WASTE any kind of good money on oil? Cheapest certified oil on the shelf would have got my vote.

Those engines remind me a bit of the saturn s series engines...they'll run for darn near even if you keep them filled with oil...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Okay...if that 4.2 is burning oil anyways, why would one WASTE any kind of good money on oil? Cheapest certified oil on the shelf would have got my vote.

Those engines remind me a bit of the saturn s series engines...they'll run for darn near even if you keep them filled with oil...

The mechanic is putting in some kind of conventional 10W-40. Whatever oil it is.. doesnt seem to be working too well. And im starting to think its because of the grade and STP (yes it is confirmed additive. As to the fill: Its probably NAPA oil, or bulk oil as suggested.) It sounds dieselish when its low. So i put in the M1 AFE 0W-30 to combat this inferior oil. Sort of the "running oil change" sort of not. Its now full up very nice and ill continue to monitor it.

And, remember: ~1000miles+ per week. Thats a lot of use. Decided to "just get the M1." Wasnt expecting it to cost twice as much.. coulda been the NAPA.. oh well, the oil got in there. Vehicle, engine > Oil price. Maybe M1 will clean something up?
21.gif

Even if the price was wrong, or this NAPA didnt participate.. the instruction was: "Check oil BEFORE we go out today." So, imagine my
33.gif
when we then drove to Walmart............

I put in the M1 AFE 0W-30 and i think the engine sounds a bit quieter. It totally presented an opportunity to see what the M1 would do in the engine. its "mixing with the STP and the 10W-40 thats in there." Who knows? Maybe it will slow the burning.

Was tempted to put MMO in there too.. didnt. But it does sound less like a Mack truck on start now. (Cold carbon knock. This particular 03 GMC Envoy XL has it. A lot.)

Put a bottle of Chevron Techron last week, chose it over Seafoam as per last advice received.

I think daves87rs nailed it. Addressing why I chose M1.. I think cheap oil got it possibly burning in the first place.

I also remember this board voted 5W-30 for the vehicle, so I went 0W-30. That had a play in it too. Didnt choose the 0W-20 that was next to it.. its over, done. Truck runs better. Whether that is due to the M1 AFE specifically or just OIL is diff story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back