I got in trouble at Costco today

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often are you getting gas and spending this 30 minutes in line?

Also, it seems your anxiety is a medical condition. If you dealt with that, it might have the bonus effect of there being fewer secret chemical planes and government agents coming to get you.

Last time I bought gas (last month) I paid like $1.46 I got it instantly. I just feel a wait of 30 mins is a waste of time. That is I value my time and I feel waiting 30 mins for gas would be a net loss once I factor in the time it took me to wait.

Not to insult you but I really wouldn't call that OCD. My grandson (14) the doctor says he's OCD has asthma and the kid has these weird panic attacks where he says he can't breath (while breathing) he just goes on about how he isn't taking in the oxygen and he can tell because his breath gets really hot...

Also does this thing where he breathe in every last bit of air when he notice's himself breathing. He also has to do the swallowing motion with his throat as well. It seriously effects his quality of life and I've seen him have several panic attacks over it which leads to a asthma attack almost every time.

You just have to tell him he's fine and that it's just a panic attack and nothing bad has ever happened so he's safe. The kid is the definition of OCD and while I don't know you I don't see how this is anything more then slight paranoia. I mean your going under the structure either way regardless of which lane you choose.

I could maybe understand if it was anything that went overhead like a house/store/bridge but that just seems selective to me. Not trying to be rude or anything to each his own but I just find it as a insult for people who really do suffer from OCD when you compare minor things to people who have it a lot rougher.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Merk, does that mean you park outside only?

You mean like underground parking garages ? I haven't had to deal with that yet. If they make you go through them and not let you come out the same way you come in, I'd park outside. Automated carwashes are a no-go too.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Leo99
That's not a tunnel.

I know it's not a tunnel, but it has six support pillars which makes it a throughway structure.
By going in lane #4, I don't have to go through anything.

If that's the right picture, it's not even lane #4, it's lane #6...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I think you're right. I was counting the 4 openings.

Well at least you are honest with yourself about your phobia. I have a fear of heights and am very claustrophobic. What I don't get is why people think they can tell others what to do. I can see if they were to get a little upset but to make such a fuss about nothing.

I think you're right. I was counting the 4 openings.

Also where's the gas filler on your car? If it's on the left it would always make perfect sense to #6 instead of #5.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
you get underneath your car to change oil?

He secretly goes to quick lubes.
wink.gif

I understand Merk. Well, I understand the 30 minutes, not the tunnel thing,

30 minutes at Costco in California is "normal". You might average 20 cents a gallon cheaper compared to premier brands. Pump 10 gallons 3 times a week, you get $6 saving a week. Maybe that's $300 a year, times 2 for my wife, so maybe we're saving $600. Since we're in caifornia, income tax, state tax, gas tax - that's over 50%.... So maybe we're really saving $1200 a year.

For me though, I try to pump only when there's a line 5 or less cars... If the line is backing out to the main road entry, I usually try to come back later.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
I understand Merk. Well, I understand the 30 minutes, not the tunnel thing,

30 minutes at Costco in California is "normal". You might average 20 cents a gallon cheaper compared to premier brands. Pump 10 gallons 3 times a week, you get $6 saving a week. Maybe that's $300 a year, times 2 for my wife, so maybe we're saving $600. Since we're in caifornia, income tax, state tax, gas tax - that's over 50%.... So maybe we're really saving $1200 a year.

For me though, I try to pump only when there's a line 5 or less cars... If the line is backing out to the main road entry, I usually try to come back later.

That's one perspective. Another is that you are each spending 90 minutes a week in line for gas. That totals 156 hours for the year, or nearly two standard work weeks a year wasted waiting in line for gas. You're not valuing your time very highly, IMO.

Moral of the story? Tell people the truth even though they're complete strangers.
I could've defused the whole situation from the beginning If I had just told the truth.

I'm not so sure there is good reason to share personal details of your life with random strangers. Why does their opinion of you matter at all?

Also, the situation was fine after the initial confrontation (which doesn't make sense to me in the first place - why would they ask you to change lanes without even giving you a reason?) You could very easily have caused a much larger problem by confronting the guy after the fact. I think you would have been wiser to just let it go.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
30 minute wait for gas? Surely people's time is worth a lot more than what they ended up saving......

I can't speak for anyone else, but my time certainly is.

Also where's the gas filler on your car? If it's on the left it would always make perfect sense to #6 instead of #5.

Yes my gas filler is on the left side and yes, that lane I always go to is #6, not #4 like I said in the first post. Those people wanted me to go to lane #5 because there was more room in that lane at the time. They wanted me to go to lane #5 and then take my place in lane #6. I learned my lesson; next time I'm not hiding anything from anybody. People ask me a question, they're gonna get the truth no matter how disturbing it may be.

So they were behind you and expected you to pull forward to spot 5, rather than stop at 6 and prevent them getting to a pump also? What is the difference between 5 and 6? Both are on the outside of your danger zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back