How do truckers handle vehicles that pull out in front of them?

I have to give a shout out to our truck drivers and the great jobs they do everyday. I mean the pucker factor must come into play atleast 10 times a day i'd imagine, considering I can't hardly get my 7000 pound boat 20 miles from the ramp to the house without some idiot pulling out in front of me. I think its so annoying that I always have to go slower and leave all this extra room in front of me so I can safely get stopped, and everyone thinks that's a big invitation to get in front of me. This reminds me one time a few years ago someone pulled out in front of me when I was doing 60 and I was literally an inch behind that lady's bumper before she finallly sped up, still totally clueless of my existence. This is just in my pickup truck, but don't people realize that if they get hit by a 80,000 pound semi that they'll be kicked off into the ditch like a soccer ball?

I have to give a shout out to our truck drivers and the great jobs they do everyday. I mean the pucker factor must come into play atleast 10 times a day i'd imagine, considering I can't hardly get my 7000 pound boat 20 miles from the ramp to the house without some idiot pulling out in front of me. I think its so annoying that I always have to go slower and leave all this extra room in front of me so I can safely get stopped, and everyone thinks that's a big invitation to get in front of me. This reminds me one time a few years ago someone pulled out in front of me when I was doing 60 and I was literally an inch behind that lady's bumper before she finallly sped up, still totally clueless of my existence. This is just in my pickup truck, but don't people realize that if they get hit by a 80,000 pound semi that they'll be kicked off into the ditch like a soccer ball?

I see people lane changing in front of 18 wheelers on the highway with only a few feet of separation.

It’s almost as if they are trying to stage an accident / insurance fraud.

Sometimes they don’t even react to vehicles stopped at red lights in front of them.

I get to buy another vehicle this week.

But, I do feel for most of them dealing with knuckleheads.
IMG_2919.jpeg

OP, it seems like you need to work on your patience. You should be driving slower with a boat and you shouldn't look at people pulling in front of you as "competition." If someone pulls in front of you years ago and is still living rent-free in your mind...

You have a boat so you can be out there having fun... give yourself an extra 15 minutes and take it easy. It's better for your tow rig, too.

I often find myself shaking my head at the idiocy of drivers today. It takes a lot of patience for me when I’m towing my camper. An 11k payload doesn’t stop on a dime but most of the people causing these issues have no understanding or regard for that.

Just my $0.02

I don't drive a truck but it annoys me when somebody speeds up to cut off a truck to make an exit 2 seconds faster versus waiting behind the truck.

OP, it seems like you need to work on your patience. You should be driving slower with a boat and you shouldn't look at people pulling in front of you as "competition." If someone pulls in front of you years ago and is still living rent-free in your mind...

You have a boat so you can be out there having fun... give yourself an extra 15 minutes and take it easy. It's better for your tow rig, too.
Come again? There isnt much you can do when someone pulls out in front of yoy when you're doing 60 and you have only 100ft to stop because they can't decide which lane to turn into.

I watch them and anticipate and slow down if I think they might come on. When I hauled in La we hauled permitted loads grossing 100,000 lbs ish. It's beyond me why people pull out in front of trucks. I guess they think the truck will slow them down if they get behind us.

Knowing a few who have over a million safe miles, they don't take it personally. The times I see a trucker get bent out of shape, seems to be what I've always referred to as a glider. Usually working for a small outfit.

At any rate say your goal is to reach 5 million safe miles, your mindset is above people who wrong you while you're doing your job.

Many who cut trucks off, are simply bad drivers, I mean here in Phila, people do NOT alternate merge. Why not, it's beyond me. Often, people choose to pass on the right, not left, when both are available.

dd322134.JPG

I try to afford trucks as much of the road as I can. Unfortunately more and more of them are not returning any courtesy at all. Many times on the interstate in long lines of traffic I have had a big rig 10 feet or less off my bumper, getting visibly impatient at 70+ MPH. One kept laying on the air horn - like the 10 cars ahead could care. Others have literally pushed me out of the lane they want in.

I drove similar equipment growing up, albeit not in traffic so I have a pretty good understanding of how they handle. Many of these people shouldn't bet driving a golf cart let along class A. So it pushes both ways.

My son got his CDL last year and throughly loves driving flatbeds. I think he said company policy is to have twelve seconds btwn him and the car in front which only invites 4 wheelers to cut in front.
He is twenty four and still lives at home, which I encouraged, so he has no rent, no car payment and puts a lot of money in the bank every week.

I won't pull out in front of a truck, or cut one off, but I will speed to get in front of them. Here in Iowa, drivers don't have to tarp their loads, and there is always tons of construction, so every other truck is throwing rocks or mud. You can't get far enough behind one of them to not take a rock to the windshield...much rather just be in front of them.

Have to follow your smith system techniques and hope for the best.

At work, our hazmat tanker yankers wind up with a "following too close" picture snapshot being immediately forwarded to their manager, even when someone darts in front of them. The tractors have cameras in basically all directions, including one aimed at the driver.

All the newer tractors are automatic trans, have emergency braking, lane assist, etc..etc.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Nowhere did the OP say he wanted to drive fast while towing his boat. He simply wants some RESPECT from the other drivers on the road, like you. You obviously have never towed anything behind a vehicle, much less something that weighs 2-4 tons. You have no idea of the pucker factor that everyday people who ARE skilled at towing have while casually towing a heavy load on the roads today.

The pulling out in front of people today with no regard is an epidemic..... that needs to stop. The OP was simply stating that he DOES LEAVE extra room for himself to STOP SAFELY, yet there's more brainless individuals out there than those with who constantly fill that gap he leaves for himself.

My son got his CDL last year and throughly loves driving flatbeds. I think he said company policy is to have twelve seconds btwn him and the car in front which only invites 4 wheelers to cut in front.
He is twenty four and still lives at home, which I encouraged, so he has no rent, no car payment and puts a lot of money in the bank every week.
Yeah those were the good old days. Half the stuff I own was bought when I lived at home and had no bills. Now everything I make just pays for me to keep living and can't hardly buy anything fun nowadays.

Back