I am going to have to put this head on myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I have the feeling this is not going to end well?

I Have some 4L60-E questions for you. I'll PM, ok?

Post a new thread, I will try to help.

Have you Barred the engine over to make sure it's not locked down, I see rust on the cylinder walls, Don't force it....That will break piston rings.

Sure thing.

Engine turns.. and, as far as I can tell, is flat. Compression test before teardown had water in one of the cylinders, actually broke my 1st compression tester over it.

I would like to ask "dumb" questions.. can I get taps ad dies at Harbor Freight? I'm still trying to determine which one is for my head bolts..

I tried giving this helper mechanic the benefit of the doubt multiple times, now, with it less HOT outside (you know mental illness HATES heat even a little bit of, right?) Then I'm down to do it all by my lonely..

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I am not trying to be negative here, but everything needs to be operating room clean. Even the intake runners can't have any junk in them that will get pulled into the motor. Gasket surfaces need to be perfect and prepped. Good head gasket, etc. head assembly has to be perfect. If the engine has been sitting open, exposed to dust, dirt and moisture for long, it might be time to consider pulling the bottom end apart, or a complete junkyard motor. Otherwise, you will end up with a very short lived motor.

it would be better to have someone who knows what they are doing go through it with you.

This wasn't taken as negative. Even Bladecutter post was great!

I'm trying to clean as I go.

Now.. that new Head Gasket I have.. has been sprayed before.. will be sprayed again.. am I good once I get that far?

I used to have a white 1994 Civic DX mt coupe that I bought new and sold 4.5 yrs later for an Accord coupe.

Did you buy this one already broken in hopes of fixing it up?

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I used to have a white 1994 Civic DX mt coupe that I bought new and sold 4.5 yrs later for an Accord coupe.

Did you buy this one already broken in hopes of fixing it up?

Not quite, though it had already been jiggered with. This EX has an HX engine in it!!.. and was stolen and recovered.

When it started acting up along with fuel pump is when I knew it had to be parked until I got down and put in the grunt work.

Obviously, my attempt at offloading that work has blown up in my face. It's on me now.

If you only loved wrenching on cars as much as posting on the net. Have you even gone back to the engine since you started the thread? All you have to do is roll up a paper towel and stick it in the bolt hole to check for fluid.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
If you only loved wrenching on cars as much as posting on the net. Have you even gone back to the engine since you started the thread? All you have to do is roll up a paper towel and stick it in the bolt hole to check for fluid.

I was actually thinking about this the other night at work. Seems one manager says it's OK to call the bathroom "Out of Service" 3rd shift, while the other one acted as though that was so wrong..

If I can overcome my A.D.H.D and eat right, I might actually be able to pull this off.

The only thing throwing this off is 3rd shift work schedule and my newfound exercise regimen - jog jog jog! - throwing off my body, and doing a 180 with sleep/awake like any good 3rd shift employment will do.

Other than that it sits until I come to it..........

my newfound exercise regimen - jog jog jog! - throwing off my body, and doing a 180 with sleep/awake like any good 3rd shift employment will do.

What is your height and weight? I was up to 260 and am now 170. Try to walk an hour a day plus pushups, squats, reverse situps and crunches. 80 of each except pushups at 50. Plus eat healthy, drink lots of water to help feel full.

Other than that it sits until I come to it..........

I suggest you tell us when you are on site and a more interactive session could be arranged. We could provide step and next step while you are working on it. I thought about a video session but that's not really necessary.

Here's a cool white 2002 Accord coupe that needs some work for $500:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2002&zip=44039&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=p&sellerTypes=p&transmissionCode=AUT&transmissionCodes=AUT&showcaseListingId=409098393&mmt=%5BHONDA%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=69387&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=2001&searchRadius=0&listingId=404715541&Log=0

It's in TX.

my newfound exercise regimen - jog jog jog! - throwing off my body, and doing a 180 with sleep/awake like any good 3rd shift employment will do.

What is your height and weight? I was up to 260 and am now 170. Try to walk an hour a day plus pushups, squats, reverse situps and crunches. 80 of each except pushups at 50. Plus eat healthy, drink lots of water to help feel full.

Don't forget lunges!

Ok. This by itself may not mean much but here is one of the bolts...

20150919_152111_zpszbiegln3.jpg

Here's a cool white 2002 Accord coupe that needs some work for $500:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2002&zip=44039&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=p&sellerTypes=p&transmissionCode=AUT&transmissionCodes=AUT&showcaseListingId=409098393&mmt=%5BHONDA%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=69387&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=2001&searchRadius=0&listingId=404715541&Log=0

It's in TX.

I believe you.

After this car gets patched back up.. I'm gonna work on the Blazer.. and I hope that, after those.. I can get to dlippin.

It won't happen this month..

[/quote]
After this car gets patched back up.. I'm gonna work on the Blazer.. and I hope that, after those.. I can get to dlippin.

It won't happen this month.. [/quote]

Hey, it's good you're down there where winter comes later. It's still like summer here, but generally wrenching outside becomes marginal by mid-October.

You see how the thread on top is a bit mushroomed? That means its just bottoming out in the blind hole. Put a small screwdriver in the bolt hole and see if there is any trash in there. Dig around a bit. Otherwise the bolt is too long. Are all the bolts the exact same length?

Ok. This by itself may not mean much but here is one of the bolts...

20150919_152111_zpszbiegln3.jpg

That bolt looks like heck. All that crud in the threads, and the deformed tip add up to an incorrect torque reading and that's critical on a head. You have got to chase the holes, and if it were me, I'd get a new set of bolts, 22.00 at RockAuto. If the deck and head are flat, you have a chance. New gaskets on whatever has been pulled apart....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back