Bad news on top of more bad news.

I posted about replacing drum brakes on me civic a while back.

Bad news first. Attempted replacement today it turns out the parts I was given with the vehicle do not fit.

Other bad news. The parking brake feels loose/slack and doesn't lock the drum in place to stop the car from rolling. (We just put the old parts back on and ordered the right parts from rockauto)

I posted about replacing drum brakes on me civic a while back.

Bad news first. Attempted replacement today it turns out the parts I was given with the vehicle do not fit.

Other bad news. The parking brake feels loose/slack and doesn't lock the drum in place to stop the car from rolling. (We just put the old parts back on and ordered the right parts from rockauto)
yup bad rear drum brake hardware. I had to try two different rear drum hardware kits before I got one that locks the parking brake against the drum! And yep, I have a civic as well.. so I know what you're going through. The 2nd set will probably work great.

Genuine Honda parts?

I've had issues with aftermarket brake hardware for Hondas, even when the store's system said it was exact fit. Kind of a pain, but you need what fits.

Reactions: JC1
Genuine Honda parts?

I've had issues with aftermarket brake hardware for Hondas, even when the store's system said it was exact fit. Kind of a pain, but you need what fits.
It's very similar to the brakes that are on it however the holes for the hardware are the wrong size. Parking brake lever mounting stud is incorrect as well.

And the parts were Bosch and Wagner.

Genuine Honda parts?

I've had issues with all aftermarket parts....especially MB.
Air filters never fit exactly on many cars. Aftermarket parts for everything have gotten worse in quality and fit.

Just an FYI I’ve had to buy an extra rear drum hardware kit on the last 3 jobs I’ve done because they were all missing parts.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Looks like I might have found my problem. Brake pedal Almost touches the floor after bleeding brakes. I think the adjustment incorrect. I noticed when the p brake is set the front shoe barely moves off the piston aside from feeling loose.

Can you confirm @Trav ?

Looks like I might have found my problem. Brake pedal Almost touches the floor after bleeding brakes. I think the adjustment incorrect. I noticed when the p brake is set the front shoe barely moves off the piston aside from feeling loose.

Can you confirm @Trav ?
3800: Can you post a photo of the brake shoe assembly minus the drum? I'm pretty familiar with how they should line up since I replaced a set on an Accord last week.

3800: Can you post a photo of the brake shoe assembly minus the drum? I'm pretty familiar with how they should line up since I replaced a set on an

Not a good shot but it's all I got due to us using my buddies jack.

This was after I put the old parts back on.

Attachments

• 20230609_153059.jpg
    20230609_153059.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 74
I can't be certain, but it looks like you may be missing a spring metal washer and the clip that goes on the parking brake stud pin. See the attached photo for reference from my 2001 Accord.

PXL_20230107_215053620.jpg

I can't be certain, but it looks like you may be missing a spring metal washer and the clip that goes on the parking brake stud pin. See the attached photo for reference from my 2001 Accord.

View attachment 160379
I used the circlip and the washer on the rear shoe. The 2012 civic design has the lever behind the shoe along with the Clip and washer.

You have to pre-set the adjuster so the shoes are out as far as they can go and still be able to put the drum on. Then on your test drive, go in reverse and stop hard a few times.

Also be very careful not to inadvertently swap parts between the two sides as some are specific to one side.

You have to pre-set the adjuster so the shoes are out as far as they can go and still be able to put the drum on. Then on your test drive, go in reverse and stop hard a few times.

Also be very careful not to inadvertently swap parts between the two sides as some are specific to one side.
So I have to set the adjuster before install? I can't just remove a few parts and turn the adjuster wheel then reinstall?

I knew it was the adjuster.

So I have to set the adjuster before install? I can't just remove a few parts and turn the adjuster wheel then reinstall?

I knew it was the adjuster.
You can easily access the star wheel adjuster by rotating the center hub so that it aligns with one of the holes in the hub. No need to get it perfectly adjusted before it is positioned in place.

Back