HPL Engine cleaner / 2015 Volvo XC60 high oil consumption progress report

2015 Volvo XC60 4 cylinder with 100,000 miles on the engine adding 1 quart oil every 500 miles.
I thought I would do a progress report for those who have the same issue.

I changed the spark plugs with 60K on them and not surprisingly they were carboned up pretty bad.
Also 3 of the 4 plugs were not even hand tight. I have no idea how the Volvo dealer tech missed tightening them.

I took pictures of the initial oil and filter with 10K on the oil. I changed the oil using 5 quarts of Castrol 0w20 bought at Walmart
and added 1 quart of HPL engine cleaner. Had to add a quart at 1000 mile mark using the same ratio. At 2000 mile mark I had to add
another quart but also change the filter. The oil was pretty dark with only 2000 miles which told me the cleaner is working. I would think
normally the oil would be more amber colored. So far I am adding oil every 1000 miles which is progress. Considering the dark color, I am
undecided if I should change the oil and filter at the next 1000 mile (assuming) 1 quart oil add or add the quart and do the oil and filter at
the 4k mark. Any opinions on that? I am using the lower cost Walmart Castrol 0W20 for the short term.After the next round I will use the
Volvo spec oil. I will update the (hopefully) continued drop in oil consumption as I move along.

Attachments

• 60k spark plug.jpg
    60k spark plug.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 137
  • XC60 loose spark plugs.jpg
    XC60 loose spark plugs.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 10k oil change.jpg
    10k oil change.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 140
  • XC60.1.jpg
    XC60.1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 143
  • XC60.3.jpg
    XC60.3.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 137
  • XC60.2.jpg
    XC60.2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 138
You have “no idea how the Volvo tech missed tightening them”?

I’ve got an idea…

Select Volvo engines are covered by a recall for oil consumption, if the criteria is met with an oil consumption test. I'm not sure if yours is affected @RYDMOTO , but it might be something worth looking into. I only learned of this recall recently, thanks to a coworker, his oil light was flickering on his way to work. Naturally, I began investigating, which was when I learned of the recall. In the interim, I topped it off and took the filter cartridge out for an inspection, which I will photograph and upload in the upcoming days. At the time of top-off, he was about 6k kilometers into the OCI. My research led my to add 5w-30 CEB which has the A5/B5 rating recommended by Volvo for the 2.5L engine in a 2016 XC60. Subscribed to this thread, good luck!

2015 Volvo XC60 4 cylinder with 100,000 miles on the engine adding 1 quart oil every 500 miles.
I thought I would do a progress report for those who have the same issue.

I changed the spark plugs with 60K on them and not surprisingly they were carboned up pretty bad.
Also 3 of the 4 plugs were not even hand tight. I have no idea how the Volvo dealer tech missed tightening them.

I took pictures of the initial oil and filter with 10K on the oil. I changed the oil using 5 quarts of Castrol 0w20 bought at Walmart
and added 1 quart of HPL engine cleaner. Had to add a quart at 1000 mile mark using the same ratio. At 2000 mile mark I had to add
another quart but also change the filter. The oil was pretty dark with only 2000 miles which told me the cleaner is working. I would think
normally the oil would be more amber colored. So far I am adding oil every 1000 miles which is progress. Considering the dark color, I am
undecided if I should change the oil and filter at the next 1000 mile (assuming) 1 quart oil add or add the quart and do the oil and filter at
the 4k mark. Any opinions on that? I am using the lower cost Walmart Castrol 0W20 for the short term.After the next round I will use the
Volvo spec oil. I will update the (hopefully) continued drop in oil consumption as I move along.
What would it really hurt bumping up to a 30 grade oil???

Those engines are known for high oil consumption due to piston rings. I'm definitely very curious to see what difference HPL EC makes. Mainly because I do plan to eventually replace the Pilot with an XC90 with that engine.
My daughter has a 2019 XC90 with no oil issues. Volvo remedied the oil ring issue I believe in 2016.
I have a 2020 S60T6R with no issues. I use the Volvo spec oil at minimum during the warranty period.
My Wife's daughter has a 2015 S60 4 cylinder with 50k and no issues. I am going to do a preventative flush
on it soon.

What would it really hurt bumping up to a 30 grade oil???
That would be the normal course of action but due to the oil rings and piston skirt oil drain holes being too small, the heavier weight oil would restrict the oil draining back to the crankcase and not keep the drains open.

If he HPL doesn't fix the problem go to E46 Fanatics and search DSMO. A member there used DSMO in a process to clean the rings and piston ring lands' holes. The stuff works.
That will be my next step, doing a piston/cylinder soak. I went the HPL rout as I did not want to tie up the vehicle while I do a 2 or 3 day soak which would require a immediate oil change for obvious reasons. The HPL avenue works as the XC can be driven - it might take longer but that is ok.

Great suggestion btw!

I was going to clean the wax out of my ears with that stuff but I best take a pass for now. :oops:

Do you plan on using their oil? The cleaner is just an initial and the oil must be used the rest of the way. If HPL cleans up that mess I’m sold. Please keep us updated.

i wish..but i live in europe and i cant find this oil brand in my area. there are some other cleaners in the market, i found from FORTE or LM but i am sold too if they actually do what some clients claim that do.

Back