Ordered HPL Engine Cleaner - Here is the Plan!

Vehicle is 17 Subaru Outback 3.6. Next OCI is 154k. I'm planning on draining a quart and replacing it with 1 quart of HPL cleaner for 1k run before the OCI is due. The filter used is my usual; Fram Ultra. I'll cut it and post up images. I also plan on sending what I believe will be UOA #6 on this vehicle to see what we get. I did have a question: Will the HPL cleaner skew the UOA results? I'm not seeing how it wouldn't but better to ask those with a better knowledge base than me.

My personal thoughts are 150k+ to date and haven't had a single mechanical failure. Failures have been liftgate issues, battery drain, split leather on seats, trim; all the basic issues Subaru has had with the 17 Limited and a few other years. I don't think there will be much to see in the filter but hey, you never know. We shall see!

My OCI has been 7500 - 10k over the life of the vehicle. As it ages I've been doing 7500-8k.

What is your OCI?

Mine is 5K. I just ran the cleaner the whole OCI on mine. With 150k plus, maybe it would clean up more.

I've read some posts and IIRC 1-2k was recommended by HPL. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just change the oil with whatever fresh stuff you use and run it per HPL's instructions which is longer than 1K miles...this isn't going to be a miracle flush here..

I would pull a sample BEFORE you add any sort of cleaner, otherwise yes, it will skew the UOA results.

Are you still using the Mobil1 5W30 in your signature for your intervals? And are you planning on switching to HPL?

Just change the oil with whatever fresh stuff you use and run it per HPL's instructions which is longer than 1K miles...this isn't going to be a miracle flush here..

I've had UOA with the cleaner...it's not an issue.

I would pull a sample BEFORE you add any sort of cleaner, otherwise yes, it will skew the UOA results.

Are you still using the Mobil1 5W30 in your signature for your intervals? And are you planning on switching to HPL?

I ran Mobil 1 5-30 for all but 3 OCI's that were Pennz Ultra 5-30 due to almost free cost. I've been back to Mobil 1 and will continue with same likely for the life of the vehicle.

I've used the product three times now. Adding it at 1,000 miles before the end of an OCI imo is a waste of the product. I'd use it with fresh oil and a new filter, run it 2K miles change out the filter and top it up, run it another 2K miles and do an oil change with a new filter. You can cut open and inspect the filter at the 2K mark and have a pretty good idea of what is going on at that point. You might opt to run it as a second treatment for a 4-5K OCI at that point.

I second the motion of using the HPL EC with fresh oil. Currently doing the same procedure in the 98 Corolla in my sig. Fram XG3600 and fresh Mobil 0w40. Also, will be running it for 4k before draining.

Fresh oil with at least 4k-5k mile OCI

2k at least from my experience didn't seem to show all that much, not knocking the product but after 1,800 miles I replaced my filter as recommended. Cut open the used filter and it was a single spec of carbon every 3-4 pleats rest of the filter was spotless (Fram Ultra).

Coming from a new to me '09 Accord with 200k miles, noticeable varnish, and appeared to have 7,500-8,500 OCI its whole life before I took ownership. It's been stated the cleaner is mild, and I do believe that to be true, not ineffective, just not something which will clean the motor spotless in a single OCI.

Not advertised as such, but it seems to perform better with longer runs, and fresh filters.

Reactions: wlk
have 2 quarts EC that will go in with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 EP 10W30
… plan is to run ~5K …
I might get some more as a GDI spike fluid later - it’s SAE30 and I have a Fumoto on that 5.3L …

Any negative concerns if I run fresh oil with the cleaner for 7k? I expect little to not much in my filter since I've owned this vehicle since new. Religious 7500-10k runs (majority 8k). 90% Mobil 1 5-30 with a few Penn Ultra 5-30 and all it's ever seen post the lot is Fram Ultra.

Any negative concerns if I run fresh oil with the cleaner for 7k? I expect little to not much in my filter since I've owned this vehicle since new. Religious 7500-10k runs (majority 8k). 90% Mobil 1 5-30 with a few Penn Ultra 5-30 and all it's ever seen post the lot is Fram Ultra.
I doubt it, but if you wanted to play it safe you could swap the filter out at 3,500 miles.

Back