How's VW reliability these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mykl
The OP is interested in M3s and Golf Rs and there are people recommending Honda Accords and Chevy Malibus?

Is there a hidden post in here that I can't see where the OP expresses interest in mid-size sedans or are you guys posting in the wrong thread?

This forum has come a long way. There was a time recently where someone already would have suggested he look at the Crown Victoria.

Or maybe its because they stopped making them.

VW is in the bottom one-third of the reliability lists of the common industry reliability ratings you see thrown around all the time. I don't believe that has changed in recent years.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
VW is in the bottom one-third of the reliability lists of the common industry reliability ratings you see thrown around all the time. I don't believe that has changed in recent years.

That's relative to other new cars right now. It's not relative to cars built in 1980.

It is true that you can get more reliable vehicles than the average Volkswagen, but that doesn't mean that VW's are extraordinarily unreliable.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
VW still has its quirks. Lots of issues with water pumps, coil packs, etc. just on the DI Turbo 2.0L.

It wouldn't stop me from buying one but it is good to be capable of doing a few things yourself if you buy a VW or it will be expensive to keep long term.

I don't hang out at the VW forums much anymore, but I haven't seen any trend or compiled threads on coilpacks. As far as I can tell they're as reliable on the 2.0T as they are on any other vehicle.

The GTI/Golf R forums are littered with threads about coil pack issues. Most are buying the Audi R8 coil packs to replace them.

The OP is interested in M3s and Golf Rs and there are people recommending Honda Accords and Chevy Malibus?

Is there a hidden post in here that I can't see where the OP expresses interest in mid-size sedans or are you guys posting in the wrong thread?

That had me puzzled as well...

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
What's wrong with the Accord?

The OP already has an Accord and obviously he is looking for something a lot more entertaining than that. I guess that wasn't clear to everyone?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Properly maintained, VAG cars are just as reliable as any other but neglected they will fail. Proactive maintenance over reactive repairs stop most issues before they start, and, there is a measurable difference in fit, finish and overall build quality between vehicles out of Wolfsburg/Ingolstadt versus vehicles out of Mexico, Brazil or Tennessee.

Use this app to decode your VIN and find out where it was built. One of the main considerations (for me, if I was buying in NA) when buying VAG

But why do the CUSTOMERS have to deal with PROACTIVE MAINTENANCE when the more RELIABLE brands like US and Japanese based manufacturers don't have to?

What I can see from an engineer's perspective, is the Germans cut out safety margin when they design and manufacture the cars, so the customers have to throw parts and labors at it to compensate for that. It's not a problem if it is advertised honestly, but calling that as the "must be customers fault because of German engineering" is baloney.

And blaming Latin American assembly for the failures? Dude, VAG is the brand that profits from the outsourcing, they should man up and take responsibilities, instead of throwing their outsourced plants under the bus...

Properly maintained, VAG cars are just as reliable as any other but neglected they will fail. Proactive maintenance over reactive repairs stop most issues before they start, and, there is a measurable difference in fit, finish and overall build quality between vehicles out of Wolfsburg/Ingolstadt versus vehicles out of Mexico, Brazil or Tennessee.

Use this app to decode your VIN and find out where it was built. One of the main considerations (for me, if I was buying in NA) when buying VAG

Like your Scirocco, my Corrado was built by Karmann in Osnabrück.

hotwheels

I didn't realize what a M3 was actually. I see now it's a small, not mid-size car. My bad. I thought he was basically looking for something comparable to the Accord he has now. The Charger would be fun to take to the track though.

To the OP,

VW reliability has improved over the cars from the late 1990s and early 2000s that helped them earn their poor reputation for reliability. But they aren't perfect. If reliability is your top concern, then Lexus should be your choice.

Also, don't put too much value in the claims here about Mexican vs. German VWs.

The claims that maintenance=reliability on VWs are only partially accurate. Maintenance is important and does prevent some types of issues, but transmission flushes don't solve the electrical problems that some VWs suffer from.

We owned a 2000 Beetle that was an electrical nightmare. I swore off VW after than. Then I owned a Hyundai Sonata that had lots of problems and also had horrible driving dynamics. After the Hyundai I decided it was worth it to have the good driving dynamics of a MK5 Jetta even if that came with some reliability issues.

The only issue we've had with out Jetta is failing door latch mechanisms. It's a stupid problem that VW should have corrected years ago. But, this Jetta has been far more reliable than my Hyundai Sonata was.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
The new IS350 F Sport has been getting outstanding reviews, consistently beating both the current 335i and A4. I'm sure it drives well and will be faultlessly reliable, but I've driven other cars that reviewed well like the G35, but somehow Japanese cars just never feel as good to drive as German cars.

I test drove the IS350F last summer. While it felt very sporty in some ways, it also felt somewhat disconnected in other ways, but it's hard for me to pin point exactly what the problem was. It did not have the same driving dynamics as some of the German cars. I think you really need to spend some time with one to decide for yourself if it'll make you happy. And of course do the same with the M3.

But from a reliability perspective alone, I'd choose Lexus without a doubt.

BTW, I also drove the Infiniti Q50, and didn't think much of it either. While it was fast, it just did not feel nimble.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

But why do the CUSTOMERS have to deal with PROACTIVE MAINTENANCE when the more RELIABLE brands like US and Japanese based manufacturers don't have to?

What I can see from an engineer's perspective, is the Germans cut out safety margin when they design and manufacture the cars, so the customers have to throw parts and labors at it to compensate for that. It's not a problem if it is advertised honestly, but calling that as the "must be customers fault because of German engineering" is baloney.

And blaming Latin American assembly for the failures? Dude, VAG is the brand that profits from the outsourcing, they should man up and take responsibilities, instead of throwing their outsourced plants under the bus...

88k miles on mine and one warranty repair about five years ago.

Otherwise it's been the normal scheduled maintenance with no special requirements above what you'd see with a Corolla, gas, and go.

No proactive or extra maintenance required if you don't count "lifetime" fluids (manual transmission, coolant). 10k OCI, plugs and fuel filter every 60k, air filter as needed, brake fluid every two years. Even the front brake pads on my car are original, rears were replaced at 60k.

I think I've remembered everything...

I spent less time and money on maintenance with my Volkswagen than I do my Toyota.

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance. If a VW was maintained per the booklet in the glovebox I would not hesitate to buy one. Otherwise no way

I spent less time and money on maintenance with my Volkswagen than I do my Toyota.

I too have had a similar experience. I have a 94 Accord LX and a
96 Golf GL. Both are fairly reliable cars and have almost the
exact same mileage on them (5k difference more on the Accord)
The Accord has had many more failures than the VW, from the radiator, to starter relay, to rusted gas tank, and now a failed distributor oil seal (the internal one) which is also now leaking on the radiator hose directly underneath it. The distributer needs to be replaced to repair the issue as well.

The VW has had ONE failure aside from normal maintenance which was the manual clutch finger tang ) takes just 20 mintues to repair and the part costs 15$.

Last edited:
You already know that none of these cars will offer the reliabilty and low ownership costs of your Accord, so we can set that aside.
IMHO:

Lexus would be most reliable and least entertaining.

BMW would be most entertaining.

VW would be very entertaining in a Subaru sort of way, but would also offer an interior that would shame any Subie ever rolled out of the factory, and the interior is the part that you have to sit in and look at every day.
This car would also offer the best fuel economy, which doesn't matter now but will when gas hits four bucks again in eighteen or so months.

If I wanted driving fun, I'd buy either German car over the Toyota and I'd follow the boards to stay aware of what I could expect to have to fix when.
It would also be a good idea to find a good indie for whatever you buy. Won't matter so much with the Toyota, but it will with the VW or the BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back