new VW Tiguan SE R Line Black 4 Motion/ Honda CRV Hybrid

After 14 years and 190k miles my daughter is looking to purchase a new car. She has narrowed it down to these two. I know Honda may be more reliable, but her VW has been relatively trouble free. She is leaning toward the VW as she likes styling and I think I made her a VW gal. VW seems to be quiet a bit cheaper and with new house and new baby every $$$ counts. I have read reviews and YouTube videos looking for some firsthand experience from owners on JUST these two vehicles(she only likes these two). Concerned on fuel mileage on VW and the haptic controls . On the Honda interested on the ECVT driveability and not so good mileage for a hybrid. Looking at Sport L or Sport Touring trim. Welcome all useful information.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the Honda will be more reliable especially with their engines now.

That being said styling, features, and price are the main factors these days.

Other than then the infotainment being a POS at times and needing parts replaced under warranty our Tiguan has been just dandy. I pulled off 30 MPG highway being light footed on a 700 mile trip. In town with my wife driving, she usually averages 24 but it's a lot of stop and go and short trips.

Regardless what anyone here says, she needs to drive both and do so at high speed and not the smooth 45 MPH mapped out test drive the salesman plots out.

The CR-V might disappoint her at 70 MPH with its wind noise and the VW might disappoint her with its haptic steering wheel controls or something else.

I recently bought a 2024 Jetta GLI. I don't know if it has haptic controls or not, but I don't have a problem with it.

I think many vehicles made during the pandemic aren't quite as good to what a 2024 is. VW has always been good with revising problem parts and improving as the platform matures.

The test drive on each is the key.

How long can you extend the warranty out to on the VW? I know in Europe you can make the FACTORY warranty 5 years when you buy a new VW or Audi. Might be worth looking at for the piece of mind for your daughter?

What engine does a SE R line Tiguan have? 2.0 TFSI?
Pretty much all Tiguan's here regardless of trim get the same 184HP EA888.

I've had a 2023 CR-V Hybrid Sport for a year and have put 21k miles on it.... i absolutely love it. It does everything well.. 33mpg on the highway and 42-45mpg in the city. I would 100% recommend this car. No issues whatsoever. It is extremely quiet, very smooth and very roomy. I can not recommend more highly.

I've had a 2023 CR-V Hybrid Sport for a year and have put 21k miles on it.... i absolutely love it. It does everything well.. 33mpg on the highway and 42-45mpg in the city. I would 100% recommend this car. No issues whatsoever. It is extremely quiet, very smooth and very roomy. I can not recommend more highly.
Thank you for the review

There is absolutely no guarantee that the Honda will be more reliable especially with their engines now.

That being said styling, features, and price are the main factors these days.

Other than then the infotainment being a POS at times and needing parts replaced under warranty our Tiguan has been just dandy. I pulled off 30 MPG highway being light footed on a 700 mile trip. In town with my wife driving, she usually averages 24 but it's a lot of stop and go and short trips.
Thanks for your review

Is the 2024 TIguan the new model, or is it still the "old" model - with the E888 and Aisin trans? If its still the old model its probably fine. If its new, I would skip it for a year or two.

How long can you extend the warranty out to on the VW? I know in Europe you can make the FACTORY warranty 5 years when you buy a new VW or Audi. Might be worth looking at for the piece of mind for your daughter?

What engine does a SE R line Tiguan have? 2.0 TFSI?

I always get an extended warranty through the finance period.

We had our 2023 CR-V Sport since last April, and completely agree with your post. It does get about 5 mpg less in the winter, but upper 20's hwy, and mid to upper 30's city is still pretty good.

We also like VW a lot, and when renting vehicles always try to get a VW if available. The main reason why we didn't purchase a Tiguan over the CR-V was VW dealers are too far away.

If we had both dealers in our city, it would be difficult decision. My suggestion to the OP is have her drive both back to back and pick the one that feels right.

Back