Howdo you defend American cars from Import lovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I could defend it by saying that my truck was built in the Twin Cities with an engine from Ohio and a North American parts content of 90%, but I really don't care. It starts everyday and takes me where I need to go, so I don't need to defend anything.

"Re: How do you defend American cars from Import lovers?"

You can't ....
35.gif

I drive Fords because because Fords have served me well for 40 years, except for a brain fade or two, where I purchased a VW in 1970 and learned a valuable lesson about buying their junk, I mean stuff.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

But the real question is, how can an American defend American cars when it comes to supporting the USA?

If you want to defend the American car industry buy new cars from it. Anything else is just talk.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
There seem to be two major schools of thought on this subject:

One being that if the industry fails it is because the business model is flawed and one must learn to adapt to a global economy or be left behind. Many who believe this are very "modern" in their thinking and think that having a strong manufacturing base on your home soil is antiquated thinking.

There are others (mostly older people, or people who grew up around older people) who feel that one should support domestic companies because it is wise to keep a strong manufacturing base on your home soil in the event of war. Much of this harks back to WWII where GM, Ford and Chrysler turned their car factories into war factories and provided a host of products to the American forces to fight the Nazi's and the Japanese.

My grandfather was in the RCAF, served as a tail-gunner and boot-camp sergeant, so you can probably guess which group I fit into.

I don't have a "hippy dippy" world view and fully expect WWIII at some point in time. Hopefully not in mine or that of my children though.

You do realize that as a Canadian you may not share that opinion with very many fellow citizens? I am surprised (pleasantly) and refreshed to see such a firm, realistic view of the world coming from one of our northern friends. The happy rosey picture (hippy view) most canadians and many Americans express these days is not historically supportable.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
There seem to be two major schools of thought on this subject:

One being that if the industry fails it is because the business model is flawed and one must learn to adapt to a global economy or be left behind. Many who believe this are very "modern" in their thinking and think that having a strong manufacturing base on your home soil is antiquated thinking.

There are others (mostly older people, or people who grew up around older people) who feel that one should support domestic companies because it is wise to keep a strong manufacturing base on your home soil in the event of war. Much of this harks back to WWII where GM, Ford and Chrysler turned their car factories into war factories and provided a host of products to the American forces to fight the Nazi's and the Japanese.

My grandfather was in the RCAF, served as a tail-gunner and boot-camp sergeant, so you can probably guess which group I fit into.

I don't have a "hippy dippy" world view and fully expect WWIII at some point in time. Hopefully not in mine or that of my children though.

You do realize that as a Canadian you may not share that opinion with very many fellow citizens? I am surprised (pleasantly) and refreshed to see such a firm, realistic view of the world coming from one of our northern friends. The happy rosey picture (hippy view) most canadians and many Americans express these days is not historically supportable.

Yes, I've noticed that as generations pass, those who share that view become fewer and fewer. The ignorance to history makes it that much easier to repeat itself unfortunately.

Yet there are symbols of our history all around us. When I was growing up, we used to make trips to Fredericton New Brunswick to visit an elderly friend of my parent's.

Her husband, a German physicist, taught in Fredericton and had met with Einstein. He was a brilliant man in his own right, who I vaguely remember, since he died when I was a small child.

In Fredericton, there is a Hotel called the Lord Beaverbrook. Most young Canadians have no idea the significance of that building, nor its namesake. Beaverbrook was a Canadian/British businessman who took the issue with the Luftwaffe in England as a personal challenge.

Churchill put him in charge of the construction of British aircraft to combat the Germans. His goal was simple: churn them out faster than the Germans could destroy them. And at that he succeeded brilliantly.

As you stated, the "everything is rosy" world-view is not historically supportable. In the last hundred years, we have had two global wars, multiple conflicts in Asia, multiple wars in the Persian Gulf, as well as a Nuclear arms race. Humans are far from a peaceful species.

As other previously third-world countries (such as China) try to leverage themselves into first-world nation positions, they will be vying for the same resources we need to maintain our quality of life.

Originally Posted By: XS650

But the real question is, how can an American defend American cars when it comes to supporting the USA?

If you want to defend the American car industry buy new cars from it. Anything else is just talk.

Excellent point!
01.gif

A bit off topic, but...

My 1989 Volvo is assembled in Halifax, replete with Japanese turbo and transmission, British intercooler and hoses, German fuel injection, ignition and ABS, French signal lenses and Volvo engine/body.

Originally Posted By: XS650

I bought a made in TN saturn and how does GM help me? they shut down the plant and squandered the brand.
I appreciate US made vehicles, but I abhor unions. doesn't matter now, though, I'm too broke to buy another car.
btw, my made in Hiroshima Mazda keeps planty of American mechanics employed. my saturn doesn't do anything for American employemnt (except get me to work everyday!)it's never in the shop.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
its a global world. there is no more such thing as an "american" car. fords built in germany, toyotas built in MANY countries, GM cars built everywhere.

senseless argument IMHO. everyone needs to earn their crust of bread regardless of nationality.

My exact same sentiment.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I drive Fords because because Fords have served me well for 40 years, except for a brain fade or two, where I purchased a VW in 1970 and learned a valuable lesson about buying their junk, I mean stuff.

Good thing you didn't buy a Pinto instead....
28.gif

I don't understand the need to defend the BIG THREE. They sell the bulk of the autos. There's only so much holding capacity for new car sales ..period. It's sorta like the (often ignored) "ideal" unemployment figure of 5% (fuzzy logic on how the number is calculated = but
21.gif
). Below it your inflationary ..above it your recessionary.

That is, the manageable operational margin is SO SLIM that it's easily rendered dysfunctional. Detroit sold an incredible number of units. That's why I kinda chuckle when I see "build cars people want". Plenty wanted them ..or at least purchased them in reluctant self loathing.

Detroit had to keep the pipeline full. The neo-domestics did not. They mostly had a properly sized pipe.

They all did. You keep the trains on time with debt. You end up floating the company with debt service. Continue until you can't produce "fuzzy" profits to pay CEO's and stock holders ... and adopt the status of one of the Western European nations.

You switch from the RUN to HIDE initially. Next comes SURRENDER and then COLLABORATE.

For my whole career as a Detroit autoworker I've never subscribed to the "Buy American" mentality. This is because I've seen the auto makers do exactly what their consumers are doing. They buy their parts, tools, raw materials, and labor on the open, international market. Why shouldn't we, the consumer, do the same thing?

When the "Buy American" hype rolled around, I saw it as the "Do as I say, not as I do" hypocricy that it was and is.

Thoes people who sneer at foreign nameplates while waving the American flag are downright simple- and close-minded.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
For my whole career as a Detroit autoworker I've never subscribed to the "Buy American" mentality. This is because I've seen the auto makers do exactly what their consumers are doing. They buy their parts, tools, raw materials, and labor on the open, international market. Why shouldn't we, the consumer, do the same thing?

When the "Buy American" hype rolled around, I saw it as the "Do as I say, not as I do" hypocricy that it was and is.

Thoes people who sneer at foreign nameplates while waving the American flag are downright simple- and close-minded.

So the WWII veterans who (for OBVIOUS reasons) won't buy Japanese or German cars are simple and closed-minded?

My grandfather (now deceased) was a WWII vet, served in the RCAF as a tail gunner and Boot Camp Sargent, then spent the rest of his working life as an HE engineer for GE. He was anything but simple. Closed-minded? Yeah, you might be right on that point, but again, so were many from that era. It went with the territory.

Our boats all wore the RCAF flag. He was proud of his country and proud to have served. I don't see a problem with that. Without the actions and sacrifices of these "closed-minded simpletons" we'd all be speaking German or Japanese right now.

But hey, many of them died for your right to be able to berate their patriotism, so feel free to voice your opinion.

I imagine this was not how you intended your post to be interpreted. And I imagine this was not the response you expected. But the "USA" jacket wearing guys with mullets making fun of Japanese cars at Walmart are not the only people "proud" to wear the flag. Even if they are doing it for completely different reasons, I had to point out what I view as a pretty big flaw in this stereotype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back