how to know when water heater is going bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree. There's also a volume issue that you've got to take into account. In terms of element scale, low hardness water can be just as bad in a time weighted view when compared to lower total demand from a hard water source.

there are two issues often over looked with tankless water heater installations,

1. make up air for combustion, depending on the btu size of the tankless water heater it can be very large, and typicly its open to outdoors 24/7 year around

2. the correct size of the gas line, if you can get a copy of the installation manual and see how much work it will be to run that gas line over to where you need to install the water heater.

these are the two most common things we see and are asked to repair at our company, the make up air issue can be life threating, the gas line will just cause you service issues and mad wife issues when she doesnt have hot water.

in the early eighties we replaced lots of tankless water heaters and installed conventional ones, in the past parts were very hard to get, of course a lot has changed since then, but we are still taking a "wait and see" approch to tankless water heaters.

if there is something i can do to assist, with this or any other house hold heating and a/c problems just let me know
sincerely
duane

what do you think of A.O. Smith? Their conservationist line has an efficiency of 0.63 for a 40 gal tank model that vents conventionally... thats about the highest Ive seen.

Also, what are your opinions on using your heating boiler to make hot water year-round, through one of those "indirect" systems with a modulating/condensing boiler?

Thanks!!!

JMH

Gas hot water tanks are typically only 50 to 60 percent efficient. This is mainly due to room air drawn through the tank heat exchanger and up the stack even when the burner is not on. Adding additional insulation to the outside of the tank won't help much.

Electric hot water tanks are typically 95 to 98% efficient. But electricity usually costs more than gas on an equivalent energy basis.

Instant on gas hot water heaters are typically 80% efficient.

If you have hot water heat, a good alternative is a tank with a built in heat exchange coil tied into the boiler. Boilers are 80% to 90% efficient less a small loss of heat from the stored hot water.

http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.htm

It all depends on specifics to your area and installation - local plumbing contractors should be able to help you make the best choice.

ao smith is another good water heater

i love the amtrol hot water makers and there are some other brands that work very similer to that work wonderfuly, although if your not handy yourself they are expensive to purchase and install.

the amtrol hot water maker can be hooked up to any conventional or condensing boiler

i really like the hang on the wall condensing boilers very quiet and very efficent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back