Hybrid electric water heater - anyone install one?

They have 120V models to replace a gas water heater. I think they have a small coil. But seems more expensive and the efficiency rating is a little less.

I currently have a 50 gal gas water heater that is over 10 years old. It's in unheated attached garage that is currently 50F.

We have the temp set way up so wife can get a decent bath in Jacuzzi. Otherwise run out of hot water filling the Jacuzzi. This is an important part of the equation

So looking at a hybrid.

So considering a 120 V one. 80 gal. But the circuit breaker box is not that far away. Could get 220 V to it. But 120 V would be easier.

80 propane ones serm to be commercial and very expensive.

I suppose a gas tankless is an option.

What I am afraid of is my garage being too cold in the winter and the system going on electric coil all winter.

In southern DE.
It might for a day here and there but if your garage stays over 42f it should be on hp mode most of the time.

I've had three water heaters in the last 44 years. When I moved in there was no water softer and I installed one (on my third one now, finally figured them out) though it's efficiency over the years have waxed and waned. The original propane water heater to the house of unknown age, and AO Smith. It lasted for a few years then started gurgling.

Then got a State and it lasted about 20 years. After a year or so I took the anode rod out due to sulfur smell in the hot water.

Replaced that one just because I was also getting new furnace and AC. I took the anode out of it before installing. It's still sailing along just fine. It's another State.

The anode rods are in very tight and good luck removing one with the tank vertical.

The first thing you should do is get rid of the cheap plastic drain valve as they are only about a 1/4" opening.

Edit: My brother replaced their water heated a few years ago. it was only 5 years old and they were on city water. Being the pack rat I was I hauled it home and was going to clean it up to see if it was worth saving.

It had to have over a foot of sediment inside. Even with the drain valve all the way off it was still plugged up.
I use a half inch impact and a 1-1/16 socket on the anode.

Back