Rheem hybrid hot water heater

Home Depot has a sale on an 80 gallon one for $700 off. Thinking of buying it to supplement the 50 gal gas water heater and get some tax credits.

We run out of hot water filling Jacuzzi with the 50 gallon gas heater. And hoping the heat pump will cool and dehumidify the garage.

I think Rheem is a pretty good brand.

Hybrid hot water heaters are not brand new but have not been around all that long. Looks like future hot water heaters will need to be either hybrid or gas condensing tankless to.meet gov efficiency requirements.

From what I remember working maintenance not too long ago Rheem was one of the brands that were consistently failing in the 4-8 month timespan. They also (from repair companies used) are the only reverse threaded hot water heaters other than the Home Depot brand making parts expensive and difficult to come by.

I've spoke of mine on here before. I have a 65 gallon Rheem Hybrid. My home was built last year. No issues so far but it's not even a year old. I have geothermal HVAC and didn't go the desuperheater route for hot water. It does have an air filter that needs cleaned and also a condensation line that needs inspected/cleaned. It works great but is a little noisy, but it's in my mechanical room in the walkout basement.

I didn't research brands, I just assumed since Rheem makes HVAC and water heaters, that they should make a reliable hybrid water heater.

I don't know about that particular model. However, I am very pleased with my AO Smith 80 gal Hybrid, located in my garage.

From what I remember working maintenance not too long ago Rheem was one of the brands that were consistently failing in the 4-8 month timespan. They also (from repair companies used) are the only reverse threaded hot water heaters other than the Home Depot brand making parts expensive and difficult to come by.
This is not consistent with my experience with Rheem conventional water heaters sourced from Home Depot. I purchased my first one in 1996 when HD was selling Rheem manufactured water heaters with the G.E. label on them. It had a 6 year warranty and lasted 14 years with zero maintenance. As such, I installed another 6 year warrantied Rheem labeled water heater from HD in 2010 and it is working perfectly today. Also, the piping threads are conventional NPT, not reverse threaded as rumored on the interwebs. Installation and replacement parts are conventional, off-the shelf, inexpensive and exactly the same as other water heaters (i.e., A.O. Smith, Bradford White, etc.). I am not familiar with the Hybrid water heaters or on-demand water heaters since I can't see how they offer more value than what I have experienced with the conventional Rheem units.

Last edited:
I had a rheem it rusted out at the outlet due to installer error after 8 years. also had a board replaced when I bought the house (it came with house)
I now have the ao smith model.

Been plenty happy with mine

is your current one propane or natural gas.

My previous gas Rheem lasted from 2015-2020 and started leaking. Got it warranty replaced and have another one though.

I think the consensus usually is to buy from a local plumbing supply store as their water heaters are made a little better.

I'd also think that 60% more capacity would be enough to just replace your current one and be sufficient without having 2 going at once.

I’ve had a Rheem 40 gallon hybrid hot water heater for the past 2.75 years. At about the 2 year mark my main board was fried in a thunderstorm. Luckily, the warranty explicitly permits DIY repairs and it was a sub ten minute call with their tech support to get a new main board overnighted to my house for free. Total repair time was sub 15 minutes; just had to unplug three cable bundles and plug them into the new panel. It took me longer to install a whole home surge protector to prevent future repairs.

I wholeheartedly recommend these heaters. Install time was about an hour. The 40 gallon unit (set to 140 degrees) keeps up with 30 minute showers is great and the warranty that permits DIY installation/warranty repairs is an amazing bonus. No waiting around for a plumber or electrician to come to the exact same conclusion that you can come to with a multimeter and a ten minute call with tech support.

Are you going to install the heaters in series? If so the heat pump heater should be first in line.

My previous gas Rheem lasted from 2015-2020 and started leaking. Got it warranty replaced and have another one though.

I think the consensus usually is to buy from a local plumbing supply store as their water heaters are made a little better.

I'd also think that 60% more capacity would be enough to just replace your current one and be sufficient without having 2 going at once.
Well I was thinking about being able to use either one if one broke. Since the gas one is working fine.

Also at present my Mastiff sleeps in the garage and am a little concerned that the heat pump will pull too much heat out of the garage and it will be too cold for him.

I am hoping it will cool the garage a little in the summer but not sure about the winter.

Current gas heater is propane.

Back