How many MAXLIFE users, and stories, thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
Thanks SJohnson, I was looking thru some UOA's; I will look at yours
smile.gif

When I bought it, I wondered if it would stop some of my bike's leaks. I'm not sure if it did, but with the great wear numbers and the $1 quart price, I'm still happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Yep. Drowning in the ML fanboy pool.

If us liking and using a product makes us a fanboys so be it
smile.gif

Guess I'm a Castrol Edge Fram fanboy too. I'll take that as a compliment
grin.gif

No seriously, every product has someone who was not satisfied, it happens. For me it was good and worked as they said, so I'm happy I like the product. If I put it in my trans and it died I'd be upset too.

I've used Malife in various applications over the years, although I've not tried the current no-moly formulation.
I posted a 4K UOA of Nextgen Maxlife from my old BMW in August 2012.
In 4K, the thing showed 2.9% fuel dilution yet wear metals were so low that I asked Polaris to re-run the sample.
TBN was strong as well.
The oil did shear and fuel-dilute to a thirty grade, though.
This was also a pretty easy run, in that I did the 4K in just two months with lots of highway.
Still, Maxlife also slows the oil leaks my engine has to the point of seeing nothing drip onto the garage floor or the driveway.
Whatever benefits Defy may have, slowing or stopping leaks and consumption have not been among them in my experience, while Maxlife has been very effective in slowing or stopping both in my experience.
I've also used Maxlife ATF and it had been very good in those applications I've used it in.
Ashland seems to be a competent blender and offers some very good products under the Valvoline brand.

To an extent, that part is not true. Kind of a hand-in-hand type of thing. If they would have honored their warranty, I would have got a transmission. No warranty, no transmission so I never made a big deal out of that.

The problem was they said they would not honor any warranty because the sample contained zinc and they said that ML does not have zinc. When it was later discovered that ML most certainly does contain zinc and I sent a VOA showing it, all communication stopped immediately.

THAT is why Ashland and their lousy, non-certified, ever-changing products can kiss my arse.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
...and they wouldn't buy him a new transmission.

So you had a VOA done on the ATF left over from your original Maxlife change and this VOA revealed a significant zinc content?
I don't recall this detail from your original threads on your transmission failure after your Maxlife ATF change, but I may have missed your having done a VOA on the remaining new fluid left over from the Maxlife ATF change that you did.

I don't want to go there either. As always, the fanboys want an answer. Amusing how I can't tell my stories or thoughts without the fanboys getting their panties wadded up.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have nothing nice to say. I hate the stuff. I'd rather take the bus then soil my engine with an Ashland product.

Do tell, what makes Ashland products so bad? I am curious to hear what facts you would like to share.

You really don't want to get into that tale.

Do tell about panties being "wadded up"
smile.gif
(says guy with hater agenda)...

I've had nothing but positive experiences with MaxLife despite being very leery about "high mileage" oils when it first came out in the 90's. It has controlled both consumption and leaks in a few cars...

To an extent, that part is not true. Kind of a hand-in-hand type of thing. If they would have honored their warranty, I would have got a transmission. No warranty, no transmission so I never made a big deal out of that.

The problem was they said they would not honor any warranty because the sample contained zinc and they said that ML does not have zinc. When it was later discovered that ML most certainly does contain zinc and I sent a VOA showing it, all communication stopped immediately.

THAT is why Ashland and their lousy, non-certified, ever-changing products can kiss my arse.

I do not use any Ashland products, So I am not defending them at all....

The 3/4 clutch pack burned down, Very common on 4L60E transmissions, I can just about guarantee is was not Valvoline's fault this happened. You could run hydraulic oil in that trans & it not care.

The 3/4 clutch plates in your unit are Hi-Energy-Graphite/Carbon Infused Cellulose made by Borg Warner, One of the best all around friction materials available used by several manufacturers, There would be more failures if the fluid was really the culprit.

I run their oil and ATF in my vehicles and they both work great. The only difference is I run either M1HM or Pennzoil HM in my Equinox. Seems to run better versus the maxlife but I have no complaints!

I've ran Maxlife in several cars and neither one stop leaking. Ran it in Iron Duke Olds and did ok. Ran it in Vue 4 cyl. and broke done with motor rattling. Come to find out formula was changed. Still have seepage on Vue and went to Pennzoil Synthetic Blend which seems to be doing OK. Now my driving habits are different then most. I change oil every six months which is most of time 3k. all short trips. Sometimes it sits up for week at a time. In Louisiana it is so tough on engines that don't run enough. I only got 40k on Olds since I had it. Bought used with 60k and motor [censored] out at 99k as I was hoping for 100k. Vue has 115k with me putting 30k on it and am hoping to get 200k on it. In other words I want this to be last vehicle I own since I am now disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back