How many MAXLIFE users, and stories, thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks and just thought I would ask how many of you use the Valvoline maxlife, nextgen maxlife. I have a nice stash in various grades. Also, yesterday I called Valvoline and spoke to a technician, and he tells me that they stopped using moly, as they are using other additives that essentially do the same or are as good as moly. He also mentioned low ash as well. As a person that has used a lot of maxlife in various cars, I have no complaints. Lets hear your thoughts, stories and what you think of it. Sure wish the nextgen maxlife would come back but oh well, I have a big stash of the old red jug and nextgen maxlife to last for a while

i am a big fan of hm oil of all brands i use on all cars with over 75k, i cant say for sure it stopped any leaks but the idea that it could makes me buy, it doesnt much extra then conventional oil
im a fan forever

I have nothing nice to say. I hate the stuff. I'd rather take the bus then soil my engine with an Ashland product.

Took my Rav4 from a 1qt per 5000 miles leaker to 1/2 quart per 5000 miles leaker. Seems to be getting better over time. Been using it for about 25k miles.

'80 Firebird FORMULA in my signature:

MaxLife 5W30 SynBlend has slowed down the dripping and possible blowby. It's hard to tell if I have/had blowby since I can't tell from the tailpipe. And the amount of drips the engine left on the driveway or garage floor isn't enough to warrant the 1/2 qt of make up oil. So, I am assuming that there was some blowby too. Now, no makeup oil between the OCI's each summer but, there are still some drips!

Last edited:
i believe the people who are against do not own a car that leaks oil, around here almost every car you buy for less than $5,000 has a slight leak and the thought of this oil helping for only pennies more than conventional sound great, and it can prevent problems before they start

i believe what valvoline says older engines age different and require special treatment

i know some people will say fix the leak but many includinng myself are low income and that is not an option

MaxLife has slowed down oil usage on my old '94 Bonneville more than any other product I've used. It's been in there for more than a year and a half - about 2500 miles - the car runs perfect and is quiet. It also helped the RMS leak on a buddies 96 Camry - that thing just dripped M1 like water. MaxLife has also turned in some very good UOAs seen on this site. I was never a Valvoline fan before, but I am now. I still like M1 & Pennzoil as well.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I have nothing nice to say. I hate the stuff. I'd rather take the bus then soil my engine with an Ashland product.

Do tell, what makes Ashland products so bad? I am curious to hear what facts you would like to share.

Let us know how your windmill battle works out there, Don Quixote! Though, in your defense, it did stop me from using Maxlife ATF in my XJ, used regular Dex III/Mercon instead. The ML motor oil is a different story, though, I've used it in everything, including the NextGen, & it's helped with consumption everywhere I've tried it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Do tell, what makes Ashland products so bad? I am curious to hear what facts you would like to share.

You really don't want to get into that tale.

He had a transmission go bad while he was using their ATF, so now he badmouths them at every opportunity because they said the fluid didn't cause the problem and they wouldn't buy him a new transmission.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Val#Post2860520

around here ashland provides many jobs not just gas and oil but i think they own some coal mines too
locally i have never heard anyone say anything bad about any valvoline oil

To an extent, that part is not true. Kind of a hand-in-hand type of thing. If they would have honored their warranty, I would have got a transmission. No warranty, no transmission so I never made a big deal out of that.

The problem was they said they would not honor any warranty because the sample contained zinc and they said that ML does not have zinc. When it was later discovered that ML most certainly does contain zinc and I sent a VOA showing it, all communication stopped immediately.

THAT is why Ashland and their lousy, non-certified, ever-changing products can kiss my arse.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
...and they wouldn't buy him a new transmission.

Kind of a don't bite the hand that feeds you type of thing, you think?

Originally Posted By: jacky
around here ashland provides many jobs not just gas and oil but i think they own some coal mines too
locally i have never heard anyone say anything bad about any valvoline oil

Where have you been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back