How long should an engine last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gas engine Mercedes 420SEL made it to 198K miles (about 60K of those with me) when it was totaled while parked. In those pre-BITOG days I did 3000-5000 mile OCs with conventional oil, usually Valvoline. The engine was still running fine. When I had the oil pan replaced (it had struck something on one of these horrible "streets" and was leaking from a hairline crack), my mechanic said the internals looked almost new. That car could have kept going a lot longer.

There are several guys here with cars over 200,000 miles. A properly maintained engine and car should be able to do 400,000 unless road salt or a traffic accident causes total loss damage. The problem is, the average person will neglect this maintenance.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
So long as your willing to biy parts, an engine (and car) should last forever, unless in an accident..

... or rust..

Having said that I am still inclined to believe that a smaller 4 cylinder engines won't last as long as a V6 in the same car. I am not sure if that is an outdated view.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Too many variable to answer the question, but next time you're in a Crown Vic Cab have a look at the odometer

I was looking up the San Francisco taxi regulations (kind of random I know) and I saw their requirements for vehicles put into taxi service there. A newly registered vehicle can't have more than 70K miles, and vehicles must be retired after 300K miles. They're kind of running out of Crown Vics, although I see a lot of Toyota Prius and Ford Escapes used now. I think many of the drivers would probably love to keep the Crown Vics, but they're getting up in age.

I'm not sure if that Mobil 1 commercial showing Crown Vic Police Interceptors being converted to taxis would fly with such rules. How much would police typically put on a cab before they sell it?

I looked it up again, and my numbers were slightly off. It's 70K and 325K. Seems kind of arbitrary.

Quote:
$x=Advanced#JD_1113']http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/C...dvanced#JD_1113

SEC. 1113. TAXI AND RAMP TAXI EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS.

(q) Vehicle Mileage. Starting mileage may not be more than 70,000 miles when a vehicle is placed into service. No vehicle may be operated as a Taxi or Ramp Taxi after the vehicle has reached 325,000 miles.
(r) Vehicle Age. No vehicle older than six model years may be placed into service as a Taxi or Ramp Taxi vehicle, and no vehicle older than eight model years may remain in service as a Taxi or Ramp Taxi vehicle.

Got 350 000 miles out of a 1993 Acura Integra 1.8L. I4. Original engine / transmission.

But....

The engine lasted 350k, however the interior was ROUGH... and rust was winning, and the blower motor had only one speed, and the suspension was TIRED.. and brake calipers were sticking, and the master cylinder failed, alternator and starter replaced... etc etc.

Most people will get sick of the car long before the engine wears out...

Every car built after 1960 should be capable of 200k with decent maintenance. Even plastic cam gears often lasted past 150k with good care, and those are what usually killed American v8s in the 70s. Most of them got far less than good care. My '66 Mopar 383 made it to 260k, with the timing set having been converted to a roller gear. Still running (albeit tired- the first half of its life was with really primitive lubricants) when it was pulled in favor of a 440. We had a 93 Chrysler 3.5 (iron block) that was still running perfectly with no oil burning when we sold it with 240k on the clock, nothing more serious than water pump and timing belt and fuel rail O-rings. It was an M1 10w30 engine its whole life. Early in my driving career (circa 1982), I was forced to rebuild an otherwise great-running '73 318 because the plastic cam gear failed and broke a valve at 190,000 miles. The rebuilt engine is STILL running with a new owner at over 430,000 miles on the whole car (240,000 on the rebuilt 318).

Originally Posted By: Donald

Now cut my estimate by 50% if you are a MMO fanatic.

LOL Do you have some proof to back that statement up?

Please treat that as a joke and leave it alone; there is no reason to get dragged in to MMO in every single unrelated topic.

Cut it out.

My work vans have pretty high miles. 300+k on the ford with the 4.9,the 5.8 had 300000 when the odo died last year,the cube vans have over 300k on each,and the Chevy got sideswiped the other day and totalled and iirc the 5.0 has over 400k.
I've absorbed my dads trucks in my youth. An 89 dodge with a 318 had 450k before repair was more costly than replacement,however the engine ran stellar,the rest of the truck was falling apart.
Then I had a 96 ram with the magnum 318 that had over 450k,very hard miles too,before I got sideswiped at a stoplight which totalled the truck,the engine ran great though,but went through 2 trannies.
None of the examples above were ever opened up,still had the original gaskets.
My girls windstar has 350k,my 99 silverado has 275k and is my winter truck,my C3 has 200k,maintenance unknown since I just got it.
My 2004 ram hemi had 280k I think when totalled,didn't consume a drop of oil,ran like new.
My old 2v had close to 300k when I got tired of it spitting out plugs and pulled it and it still ran great,with around 3000 pounds of nitrous sprayed through it during my ownership.
I've seen many 2v 5.4s go in excess of 300k without issue and the stucco guys on my site have an 03 f150 with 450k,used as a work truck since new,pulling 8000 pounds daily in equipment and materials. The body is best to [censored] but the engine runs great.
In my experience the only way to trash an engine is to run it without oil or coolant,and even poorly maintained vehicles seem to last longer than an owner wants to keep them.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please treat that as a joke and leave it alone; there is no reason to get dragged in to MMO in every single unrelated topic.

Cut it out.

If you're talking to me I did treat it as a joke, hence the lol. I found it funny that the topic had nothing to do with MMO yet he dragged it in, trolling. Didn't you find that funny?

Last edited:
I expect cars to easily cross 200K unless they are Porsche/Ferrari etc. If you are a good driver, even your clutch should last more than that!

Now if this thing crosses 200K, I would be impressed :)
9jowZpr.jpg

Joke or not, the post is about how long an engine should last. There is no reason to bring in MMO. Some people try to disrupt every single post.

Donald, we know you do not like MMO. The post is about how long should an engine last.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Joke or not, the post is about how long an engine should last. There is no reason to bring in MMO. Some people try to disrupt every single post.

Donald, we know you do not like MMO. The post is about how long should an engine last.

A subject you fail to address............

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I expect cars to easily cross 200K unless they are Porsche/Ferrari etc. If you are a good driver, even your clutch should last more than that!

Now if this thing crosses 200K, I would be impressed :)
9jowZpr.jpg

A lot of fun trying though.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Mhm, you think I'm in trouble then?

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I also wouldnt use a car passed 200k. If things are not broken , they are going to be.

I dont think you have to worry about your engines but the oil companies must love you for all the money you spend on oil and gas lol.

I don't have to reply in a post to be allowed to read the post. I was enjoying the post. I am not required to reply in a post and I can read a post without replying in a post.

But when I see this kind of nonsense I will reply. The post is about how long can an engine last. There is no reason for somebody to try to disrupt the post for no good reason. I bet you would have said something if I had made a remark that the engine would last half as long if Auto-RX had been used.

90% of the nonsense could be avoided if people stayed on post.

I don't have to reply in a post to be allowed to read the post. I was enjoying the post. I am not required to reply in a post and I can read a post without replying in a post.

But when I see this kind of nonsense I will reply. The post is about how long can an engine last. There is no reason for somebody to try to disrupt the post for no good reason. I bet you would have said something if I had made a remark that the engine would last half as long if Auto-RX had been used.

No, the *thread* is about how long an engine will last. something you still fail to give an opinion on. Instead you and yours rush in because an opinion is given that some ancient unchanged formula won't help at all. (Unhappy that it isn't being promoted by everyone?)

You say 90% of the nonsense could be avoided if people stayed on post? Congratulations, you're part of that 90%

As for your "assumption", I'd wouldn't have to say anything. Just point to all those posts of yours singing its praises.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

No, the *thread* is about how long an engine will last. something you still fail to give an opinion on. Instead you and yours rush in because an opinion is given that some ancient unchanged formula won't help at all. (Unhappy that it isn't being promoted by everyone?)

You say 90% of the nonsense could be avoided if people stayed on post? Congratulations, you're part of that 90%

As for your "assumption", I'd wouldn't have to say anything. Just point to all those posts of yours singing its praises.

So you jump on mystic for staying on topic yet none of your posts in this thread relate to longevity.
What kind of glass is your house made of?

Well it was an interesting thread. Lets see if we can get it back on topic.

I either got tired of my vehicles, rot, or something/someone else ended up taking them out. So far the engines and transmissions outlasted the vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back