Metal specs in 2GR-FKS ( 2019 - Highlander V6 at 50 000 miles)

Our SUV ( 2019 Highlander with the V6 2GR-FKS at 50 000 miles) had the engine taken out by local Toyota dealership to fix a leaking timing cover, ( 2end time this was repaired ) and a second oil leak on one of the engine head gaskets.

The dealership sent me this pictureof the engine when it was dis-assembled last January at my request.
YCjE0i1h.png

The repair was done under warranty, and engine has remained leak free and operating without any concerns.

Till this afternoon, we are now 4000 miles after the repair and I change the oil. When I remove the golden plug I find this :

Clb3lsMh.png

On every oil change I get a sligh metal slugged but nothing like this. I don't have good feeling.

Take out the oil filter, it's just an element in canister, and it also is covered in very fine metal particles.

198xxPQh.png

I extracted the expected 5.4 liters of oil , and went panning for metal but I did not see much.

OzVtIyCh.png

Not sure what I make of this, but with no prior experience and motor still under warranty I was going to bring the filter and pictures to the Toyota dealership who did the work but with nothing wrong on the engine at least discernable I would like to know what I should be asking, dropping the pan and having a future look at the engine.

In Canada Toyota mandates oil changes only at 16000 km or once a year (10 000 miles) so I was proactive at 4000 miles. If the dealer just brushes off the concern I will just change the oil again before winter sets in to see if the metal specs are still present.

I don't see how opening up an engine to reseal gaskets and change engine cycling head gaskets' , both were change although only one leaking would cause metal specs or is this expected ?

That amount of metal from a Toyota is highly unusual. This is not normal and trouble is brewing, probably faster than you'd care to know. My opinion of course. If you really want to see a lot of metal, take the element outside on a sunny day and stretch the element while you turn your back to the sun. It will scare you.

That amount of metal from a Toyota is highly unusual. This is not normal and trouble is brewing, probably faster than you'd care to know. My opinion of course. If you really want to see a lot of metal, take the element outside on a sunny day and stretch the element while you turn your back to the sun. It will scare you.
Not good. Not good at all!

Thank your lucky stars it's a Toyota-I can think of another domestic manufacturer that would be not caring very much (maker of our company vans)! Definitely get it documented.

Something is cooked. But what? Ferrous metal shavings is not bearing nor the aluminum that most of the motor is made of.

I agree with other posts posts suggesting this is not normal for an engine with 50K. I assume cast iron block & head? I am thinking in scraping the surface where the head gasket goes something fell into a cylinder and was left there. Can you get a borescope into each cylinder and have a look?

Get this documented with the dealer.

It looks like they only removed 1 cylinder head? Perhaps they disassembled it completely and reassembly wasnt to spec. Check the paperwork to see what they did to it.

Unless you are getting symptoms of something I wouldnt fret too much unless the 2nd oil change looks similar.

That doesn’t look good at all. I would get it documented with Toyota.

If this was a Pentastar this thread would be 4 pages long about Chrysler bashing.
exactly

judging by alot of peoples opinions about Toyota, I must be an Toyota outlier owner
as I had an engine failure in my Camry ( threw a rod)
and the transmission in my son's Tundra was toast at 200k....

makes a person wonder if the engine has been maintained and failed or is one of those mystery failure Toyota lovers refuse to acknowledge.?

It looks like they only removed 1 cylinder head? Perhaps they disassembled it completely and reassembly wasnt to spec. Check the paperwork to see what they did to it.

Unless you are getting symptoms of something I wouldnt fret too much unless the 2nd oil change looks similar.
mechanics doing warranty work don't get paid extra... so cylinder block disassembly is not going to happen.. LOL

mechanics doing warranty work don't get paid extra... so cylinder block disassembly is not going to happen.. LOL
from the photos it seems that would have been the source, maybe the head gasket itself had extra nonsense chunks too. idk.

from the photos it seems that would have been the source, maybe the head gasket itself had extra nonsense chunks too. idk.

looks like ferrous metal.. on a magnetic drain plug in what is mostly an aluminum engine...

so unless it is from the valve train and timing chains that seem like are under repair etc, its not good..

it might be fine on the next oil change though.... you dont really know until you go further.. and that isn't happening here.

I'd probably go one more oil change and see what I have on then make a decision to either dump it or drive it into the ground.

It’s likely that poor workmanship practices were used allowing fine abrasives into the engine/oil and it causes some issues. I would do one more short OCI and re evaluate. If it continues to shed metal, take it up with the dealership or trade it in it if they won’t help you.

Last edited:
exactly

judging by alot of peoples opinions about Toyota, I must be an Toyota outlier owner
as I had an engine failure in my Camry ( threw a rod)
and the transmission in my son's Tundra was toast at 200k....

makes a person wonder if the engine has been maintained and failed or is one of those mystery failure Toyota lovers refuse to acknowledge.?
Everybodys situation is different in life. How often were you changing the oil on your Camry & servicing the transmission in your sons Tundra?

Back