How can I use 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came by a generous supply of 74 quarts,5w-20 QS QTorque 4X4 full synthetic @ $95 each. Being the oil junkie that I am, I now have a supply of 5w-20 motor oil. One catch! Nothing I own, nor, anything I change oil in is specked for 5w-20. Closest thing I have is an '04 1500 Dodge P/U with a Hemi. In '04 it was specked 5w-30 but in '05 the Hemi was specked 5w-20. Also for some of the Hemis with the lifter tap 5w-20 was prescribed as the cure. So I have no problem using 5w-20 on the Hemi.

However the other autos need some thought, being that I am opened minded concerning 5w-20 I figured I'd ask for opinions and advice.

What about:

Pontiac Sunfire- 4 cylinder- specked 5w-30
Mazda 626- 4 cylinder- specked 10w-30
Toyota Celica- 4 cylinder- specked 10w-30
Yanmar Tractor- 2 cylinder diesel- specked 30w HD
Volvo V50- 5 cylinder- specked ? (haven't done it yet)

So what is the verdict? Frankly I am for trying the 5w-20 in the Volvo, Pontiac and Dodge, I have no doubt it would work very well. The Mazda and the Toyota are older cars with lots of miles on them, maybe the engines are a little bit more worn.

You got hosed royally!

I would say you can safely use the very expensive 5W20 oil you got for the pontiac, mazda, and toyota no problems.

Wow i hope it works out for you.

( i know it was a typo, should be .95 CENTS per quart)

Just blend it in with some 5w40 or 10w40, and use them till you finishes.

Or if they are in quart bottle instead of a drum, post a thread on craigslist and trade with someone that has 10w30 or 5w30. You will take a hit and may end up with dino intead of synthetic.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Just blend it in with some 5w40 or 10w40, and use them till you finishes.

Thats what I did with all my old autozone discontinued oils that were marked for disposal. 2 years later its all gone and I'm kinda sad about it.

You can do a 50/50 blend with 5w-30 and come up with a 5w-25. there are several ways to use it up. Or do like PandaBear said.

40ford

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
You got hosed royally!

I would say you can safely use the very expensive 5W20 oil you got for the pontiac, mazda, and toyota no problems.

Wow i hope it works out for you.

( i know it was a typo, should be .95 CENTS per quart)

That is funny!

I always make some sort of typo!

I would at least try the 5w-20 in all of the vehicles that originally speced a 30wt except the tractor. Confirm it's working with a UOA. I bet it will work well.

Maybe, don't spend 70 bucks on an oil not speced for anything you own?

If you have warranty on any of them, I'd for sure not use the 5w-20 if you want coverage.

Last edited:
Everybody knows someone with a Honda. Sell it all for $100.
grin2.gif
Too bad you are so far away or I would give you $100 for all of it.

Last edited:
At that price, twentynine, I wouldn't have been able to pass it up either! My prediction is it works well in your applications, on the cheap!

Just get some 15W-40 and blend it 3:1 … 3 parts 5W-20 and 1 part 15W-40.

Should end up somewhere in the range of a 10W-30, and you'll have a synthetic-blend with 75% synthetic.

QS TP 5W-20 … … 8.15 cSt … (x 0.75)
Some 15W-40 … 15.0 cSt … (x 0.25)

Blend ~ ……………9.86 cSt

Just add a little more 15W-40 to get it between 10.0-11.0 cSt. … (30 weight = 9.3 - 12.5cSt).

Thanks guys for all the answers.

Ya'll have pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the subject. My plan is to give it a try in the Dodge, Pontiac and Toyota, I really think it will not show any difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 in these services.

Drew99GT
I don't think I would have to worry about oil related engine failure, if I did, I would not have purchased this oil in the first place. My experience with auto warranty is usually the dealer just fixes what's wrong, getting a happy customer back on the road. While I am sure it might happen, I have not seen a dealer do any type of oil analyzing, of course as I said I have never had a engine or tranny failure.
Have you ever had first hand experience with warranty denial, due to owner abuse or incorrect maintenance? I haven't!

The local Mazda dealer in town puts 5w20 in everything that comes in the door, including 626's, regardless of the fact the engine is not spec'd for it.

Originally Posted By: twentynine

Have you ever had first hand experience with warranty denial due to incorrect maintenance? I haven't!

No, but a few people here have!

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I would at least try the 5w-20 in all of the vehicles that originally speced a 30wt except the tractor. Confirm it's working with a UOA. I bet it will work well.

I couldn't agree more. I doubt any of those vehicle engines would know the difference between a 5 or 10w30 and that 5w20. As far as possible warranty issues? I'd like to see a dealership prove you had 5w20 in the sump anyway.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
........ As far as possible warranty issues? I'd like to see a dealership prove you had 5w20 in the sump anyway.

Joel

It is SOP for most engine failure warranty work for the dealer to drain and send in a UOA. They will find out what weight oil was used and the condition of it. The next issue would be to prove the incorrect weight caused and/or contributed to the failure.

hootbro

Last edited:
how about getting denied for a warranty claim because your truck was to "dirty"! this was a no par,err... Mopar dealership!

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
..It is SOP for most engine failure warranty work for the dealer to drain and send in a UOA. They will find out what weight oil was used and the condition of it. The next issue would be to prove the incorrect weight caused and/or contributed to the failure.

hootbro

I highly doubt a UOA will pinpoint with 100% accuracy what viscosity range the oil was when it was added new. Especially if you can produce adequate receipts showing oil in the viscosity you 'should' be using.
wink.gif

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back