Using 5w-30 instead of 5w-20

True, we're not at war here. kindness and patience is always preferred over impatience and judgement. My comment could have been worded better.
For the 107,000th time, the correct spelling is judgment! /sarc

Just messing with ya. But thereā€™s only one ā€œeā€ in that word. Couldnā€™t resist. šŸ‘šŸ»

For the 107,000th time, the correct spelling is judgment! /sarc

Just messing with ya. But thereā€™s only one ā€œeā€ in that word. Couldnā€™t resist. šŸ‘šŸ»
I am Canadian, and Canadians reserve the right to distinguish ourselves from serf Americans :ROFLMAO:.

Here is a simple history from Dictionary.com, that you might understand ;):

"The word judgment was first recorded in English around 1250ā€“1300. It stems from the Old French word jugement, which is based on jugier (ā€œto judgeā€) and -ment, which is a suffix of nouns denoting an action or resulting state (refreshment), a product (fragment), or means (ornament)..."

"... Today, judgement is an accepted spelling in British English. But, if you stick to judgment, you wonā€™t be judged in the UK or the US."

A much deeper dive reveals that both can be considered correct, but you can be pedantic if you'd like šŸ˜‹.

Cheers

I am Canadian, and Canadians reserve the right to distinguish ourselves from serf Americans :ROFLMAO:.

Here is a simple history from Dictionary.com, that you might understand ;):

"The word judgment was first recorded in English around 1250ā€“1300. It stems from the Old French word jugement, which is based on jugier (ā€œto judgeā€) and -ment, which is a suffix of nouns denoting an action or resulting state (refreshment), a product (fragment), or means (ornament)..."

"... Today, judgement is an accepted spelling in British English. But, if you stick to judgment, you wonā€™t be judged in the UK or the US."

A much deeper dive reveals that both can be considered correct, but you can be pedantic if you'd like šŸ˜‹.

Cheers
Whatā€™s really funny is I know that page you posted exists, and expected it to be posted, even though itā€™s wrong. But south of your border, we decided to drop the ā€œeā€, and thatā€™s all that matters. We also somehow end up with a whole lot of extra vowels in words like onomatopoeia. So take that. šŸ¤£

Wow. Tough crowd here. I have a lot of respect for people with actual hands on experience - building and rebuilding engines is a real skill. I guess a lot of the folks here must be petroleum engineers. Have a good weekend fellas.
The best petroleum engineers find little need to build and/or rebuild their engines, due to the oil choices they make.

-------------------------

As the engine ages (or shows signs of wear prematurely), moving from 5w20 to 5w30 is beneficial. Oils like 0w20 and 5w30 are just plain built better overall. It's why GM, HyunKia and a number of Japanese brands moved away from 5w20

Last edited:
If you have a Hyundai, shift to 5W-30 immediately. LIke Nike says, just do it.

Anything else, will it hurt, nah. My wifes new Mazda CX-5 specs 0W-20 only in the manual (if in the USA.) Same exact vehicle in Mexico specs a 5W-30, so I'm guessing it won't hurt anything anyway. I'll probably stay at 0W-20 during warranty with OEM filters.

Last edited:
Back