Oil for 73 Nova 350sbc est.3k mile a year

Nice car. VR1 a great choice.You running conventional or synthetic? I been running Brad Penn/Penn Grade for years. We still have distributor gears and mechanical fuel pumps unlike the new stuff. I still like anything with ZDDP. I got a fabulous deal on a case of LS30 so that’s what I’m using now.

My 74 we stuffed a Pontiac 350 in it had to do cutting of front cross memeber to get it to fit.
That was a lot of work that could have been avoided. The Nova and Ventura are the same car. Use Pontiac engine mount stands and it’s a drop in. The starter (battery cables) and fuel pump (fuel line) is on the opposite side as Chevy but that’s easily solved.

That was a lot of work that could have been avoided. The Nova and Ventura are the same car. Use Pontiac engine mount stands and it’s a drop in. The starter (battery cables) and fuel pump (fuel line) is on the opposite side as Chevy but that’s easily solved.
We were 16 at the time and was back in 1982. So we didn't know better and had no way to google it..lol. Was funny though as back then we had full service gas stations and would pull in and tell them to check the oil also. Most would look around for the dip stick and say "This ain't a SBC350!" Yea Nova= Nova, Omega, Ventura and Apollo.

Nice car. VR1 a great choice.You running conventional or synthetic? I been running Brad Penn/Penn Grade for years. We still have distributor gears and mechanical fuel pumps unlike the new stuff. I still like anything with ZDDP. I got a fabulous deal on a case of LS30 so that’s what I’m using now.
Thanks! Using conventional due to the low miles driven yearly.

Last edited:
Lots of good options from off the shelf to boutique. Personally I'd run 15w40 hdeo with API CI-4+/SL. The CK-4/SN oils are also good, but the older spec with have higher levels of Zddp while still having excellent TBN and detergents for longer drain intervals. Folks say you don't need increase Zddp for mild hydraulic rollers, but Zddp isn't just for cams and lifters. I like an oil with more than less, typically 1300-1500 zinc and 1200-1400 phosphorus is the sweet spot. I use Swepco 306.

This is my opinion, take it as you please. Nice car!

Lots of good options from off the shelf to boutique. Personally I'd run 15w40 hdeo with API CI-4+/SL. The CK-4/SN oils are also good, but the older spec with have higher levels of Zddp while still having excellent TBN and detergents for longer drain intervals. Folks say you don't need increase Zddp for mild hydraulic rollers, but Zddp isn't just for cams and lifters. I like an oil with more than less, typically 1300-1500 zinc and 1200-1400 phosphorus is the sweet spot. I use Swepco 306.

This is my opinion, take it as you please. Nice car!
Thanks for the info. I run Rotella T6 15w40 in my XJ and love it! You wouldn't have any concerns with a oil that thick when the builder recommends 10w30 and the motor probably still has less than 10k?

Thanks for the info. I run Rotella T6 15w40 in my XJ and love it! You wouldn't have any concerns with a oil that thick when the builder recommends 10w30 and the motor probably still has less than 10k?
Oil viscosity is based off bearing clearances and operating temps your engine will see. Driven has a good chart to go off of.

Clearances.jpg

Me personally? No. I run the aforementioned Swepco 15w40 in my 2004 Silverado with a 5.3 vortec. and I've used 40 and 50 weight oils for a long time. However, there are lots of 10w30 hdeos out there that would also do well in a SBC. Rotella T5 is one of them, since you are already familiar with their products. It's available in 10w30 and 15w40. People tend to think 15w40 is thick, it's really not. Again, my opinion, but 15w40 is the best overall performing oil viscosity.

I hope I'm not making you overthink things. SBC engines run fine on just about anything that vaguely resembles motor oil. I'm just a little selective about the Lubricants I use.

Me personally? No. I run the aforementioned Swepco 15w40 in my 2004 Silverado with a 5.3 vortex, and I've used 40 and 50 weight oils for a long time. However, there are lots of 10w30 hdeos out there that would also do well in a SBC. Rotella T5 is one of them, since you are already familiar with their products. It's available in 10w30 and 15w40. People tend to think 15w40 is thick, it's really not. Again, my opinion, but 15w40 is the best overall performing oil viscosity.

I hope I'm not making you overthink things. SBC engines run fine on just about anything that vaguely resembles motor oil. I'm just a little selective about the Lubricants I use.
Thanks for the info and no your not making me overthink it. Speaking of thick oils....I remember back around 1988 I had a Dodge 600 that I ran 30w50 in it all year around don't even know why and pretty sure it wasn't recommended...lol

Thanks for the info and no your not making me overthink it. Speaking of thick oils....I remember back around 1988 I had a Dodge 600 that I ran 30w50 in it all year around don't even know why and pretty sure it wasn't recommended...lol
20w50 might have been recommended as "hot weather" oil on an 88 model. The bearing clearance/oil viscosity chart the guy above posted is a good reference. A lot of pre 2000s stuff recommended everything from 5w30-20w50 depending on climate/weather. 15w40 pretty much covers those bases.

One thing to keep in mind is that your C rated hdeo 10w30 oils are a bit thicker than your s only rated gasoline engine oils. Then you have options like Red Lines high performance series, where their 20s are practically 30s, 30s are practically 40s, and 40s are practically 50s.

Back