Here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: erogers
It's currently -2 degrees Fahrenheit outside (Chicagoland area). My '94 T-Bird is sitting out in my driveway with 5W-20 in it for the first time in temps this cold (I've always used 5W-30 in the past).

Would 0W-30 be a better choice for cold starts then the 5w-20?

The upper number, 30, is for when the engine is at operating temps. The operating temps (200F) should stay close to the same regardless of outside temps.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
hey drew!

do a forecast for Nashville this upcoming week!
wink.gif

from weather.com

Sun 12/9 high 71 degrees Low 60 degrees
Mon 12/10 high 74 degrees low 58 degrees
Tue 12/11 high 70 degrees low 50 degrees

It's almost xmas and were gonna get 70 degree temps. Gotta love global warming.
crackmeup2.gif
When I was a kid 20 years ago, it was always in the 20's around Christmas time. I'm going to put my winter oil in my 96 sunfire on Sunday. 10w30 rotella
grin2.gif

You're lucky, this cold air mass is gonna take a while to move southeast. Out 180 hrs, looks like the coldest you'll get is maybe in the high 20s.

gfs180hrsfctempoh2.gif

Looks like I'm gonna get blasted through the weekend as there's a big low pressure in the west that just hangs around all next week. That's mostly why you're not gonna get the cold for a while.

:disclaimer: this will likely all change in 12 hours
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Actually, I have 12 quarts of GC which I will use in this car, along with my other summer vehicle ('89 Jag XJ6). The problem is, I'm running my Auto-RX rinse phase right now, so I have to use either dino or a Group III synthetic. The GC will be used for summer and next winter, although PP 5W-20 is really tempting me since I've noticed a bit better acceleration since using the Motorcraft 5W-20...

Originally Posted By: sprintman
-7F = -21C. No thanks that's not living that's existing

You got that right. Once, when I was a kid, back in 1980-something, it got down to -11°F here in North Alabama. That was fricking BRUTAL. At that time, our only sources of heat were some plug-in floor heaters, and a borrowed Kerosene heater. We lived in a trailer with no central heat. That was merely existing for sure. The bright spot is that that brutal cold didn't last long.

I emptied four of the pretty blue bottles into my car since I got them on sale a few years ago. The CCS rating on this stuff is very close to a 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
32.gif

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
We lived in a trailer with no central heat.

Are there some trailers with central heat?
cool.gif

Most of them nowadays. Maybe not central heat exactly; most have an inside electric furnace, and an outside, slab mounted a/c unit. There is ductwork under the trailers to carry the air & heat throughout, so I guess it can be considered 'central heat'.

You guys in the South just don't understand. You need some days (even weeks) of sub-zero temperatures so you can really appreciate the days when it's 5 or 10 degrees! And by the way, it's not "existing", it's surviving!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
At +8f, I'm itching to employ my Havoline Synth 5w-20. Currently running the Havoline Semi-Synth 5w-30 and it cranks ok, not great.

At +8f, I'm itching to employ my Havoline Synth 5w-20. Currently running the Havoline Semi-Synth 5w-30 and it cranks ok, not great.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
hey drew!

do a forecast for Nashville this upcoming week!
wink.gif

from weather.com

Sun 12/9 high 71 degrees Low 60 degrees
Mon 12/10 high 74 degrees low 58 degrees
Tue 12/11 high 70 degrees low 50 degrees

It's almost xmas and were gonna get 70 degree temps. Gotta love global warming.
crackmeup2.gif
When I was a kid 20 years ago, it was always in the 20's around Christmas time. I'm going to put my winter oil in my 96 sunfire on Sunday. 10w30 rotella
grin2.gif

yea really...........try Miami.....its in the low to mid 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back