Lexus GX 460 185k mi Advice sought here

New to me 2010 GX 460 with almost 186k now. Previous owner owned it from 158k and did 5k OCI with M1 0w20 and M1 filter. Decent history on Carfax records with some gaps but not too worried. Seems well taken care of for 13YO.

This thing runs smooth and isn’t noisy. I am seeing folks steer away from 0w20. I am in the Great Lakes so we see a lot of cold. I just picked up Kirkland 0w20 as that is what Lexus calls for. Is there any dis/advantage to use 5w20 or 30? How about these high mileage variations? Any additives I should add? Mix a couple different weights and or blends?

Carfax shows this saw quite a few dealership maintenance visits. I changed rear diff and T case this weekend and it looked nearly new. Rechecked Carfax and it shows diff changed at 150k. Oh well.

Front diff I am changing with the next oil change as the Allen bolt is stripped and locked up tight. Will be heating it up and replacing with a hex head already on order! I’m using Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 in all diffs. No Toyota Unicorn poop at $90/qt for me LOL!

Next up- spark plug change. NGK laser iridium sitting in my wish list.

Glad to be here and look forward to some great advice!

Keep stackin’
OrangePild

Last edited by a moderator:
If it doesn't burn any it's fine with a 20 grade. ngk, denso, or bosch, are fine. Has the coolant and brake fluid been changed.

@OrangePild congrats on the purchase from a fellow 2010 GX460 owner.
At your mileage, check your vehicle for the general coolant issues 1) radiator 2) water pump 3) coolant valley plate leak.
I'm currently running 5w40 and it runs smooth as silk.
Your engine calls for anything 0w20 - 15w40 per international operating manuals. It is a sweet ride.

If it doesn't burn any it's fine with a 20 grade. ngk, denso, or bosch, are fine. Has the coolant and brake fluid been changed.
Previous owner did radiator change for the common leak issue. Brake fluid was new with the recent calipers at all four corners. Still looks clean.

@OrangePild congrats on the purchase from a fellow 2010 GX460 owner.
At your mileage, check your vehicle for the general coolant issues 1) radiator 2) water pump 3) coolant valley plate leak.
I'm currently running 5w40 and it runs smooth as silk.
Your engine calls for anything 0w20 - 15w40 per international operating manuals. It is a sweet ride.
Being from TX I can see why you run heavier. Going into dreaded winter, I’m worried about going heavier. Do you run the High Mileage oil versions? What’s your mileage?

This is a rebadged Land Crusher, of course, one of the best vehicles Toyota ever built.
Their price reflects this.
Nice ride and I hope you will have many happy miles and years with it.

Mixing viscosities of compatible oils is perfectly fine.

No ill effect will happen from it, but I think it's silly to purposefully do so thinking your vehicle will benefit from it. But if I had some 5W20 leftover from a vehcile that used it I no longer have, I'd use it in a 0W20 vehicle if it was out of warranty.

Being from TX I can see why you run heavier. Going into dreaded winter, I’m worried about going heavier. Do you run the High Mileage oil versions? What’s your mileage?
I'm nowhere at your odometer, sitting at a mere 66k. I paid a premium back in May but its worth every penny. I wouldnt worry with your mileage and just keep up with maintenance like you already mentioned. I dont really think about high mileage oil, if I see a leak I tend to be OCD and repair it.

If you’re not using or burning any oil between oci’s don’t look for trouble. 0w20 and a good filter of choice stick with the 5k intervals.

I never used the ford friction modifier in my F-150 and had no trouble. As long as it meets the viscosity requirements and has the LSD additive run it.

This is a rebadged Land Crusher, of course, one of the best vehicles Toyota ever built.
I think th LX is the Land Cruiser...isn't the GX the LC Prado sold outside the US???

I have a 2011 LS460 which I run 0w20 year round. No issues. I'm a fan of the 460 engine
I’m a fan too, but that’s a different engine than what he has. I can’t remember the exact differences, but I believe his is port injected, the LS460 is port and direct injected. The LS460 also uses electric cam phasers on their exhaust side and oil activated on the intake. The LS 460 was also prone to oil consumption and hesitations in their earlier years, I don’t believe his was.

I owned a 2007 LS460...great engine until I got up around 115,000 miles, then it started using a little oil, then a little more, and more, and more. Babied doing 5,000 mile intervals using 0W20. By the time I reached 170,000 miles I was using a quart every 500 miles...tried bumping it up to a 5W30, did not help. Rings were shot, oil blow by, intake would fill with oil pooling, and actually even tracking up through the air snorkel in front of the throttle body. But I did love that car. Probably could have kept it going to 300,000 if I tried a few things.

The GX460 is a tank that will chug along to half a million miles with decent care and maintenance. Love those things! And I wouldn’t be concerned running 0W20 or 5W20 or 5W30.

I’m a fan too, but that’s a different engine than what he has. I can’t remember the exact differences, but I believe his is port injected, the LS460 is port and direct injected. The LS460 also uses electric cam phasers on their exhaust side and oil activated on the intake. The LS 460 was also prone to oil consumption and hesitations in their earlier years, I don’t believe his was.

I owned a 2007 LS460...great engine until I got up around 115,000 miles, then it started using a little oil, then a little more, and more, and more. Babied doing 5,000 mile intervals using 0W20. By the time I reached 170,000 miles I was using a quart every 500 miles...tried bumping it up to a 5W30, did not help. Rings were shot, oil blow by, intake would fill with oil pooling, and actually even tracking up through the air snorkel in front of the throttle body. But I did love that car. Probably could have kept it going to 300,000 if I tried a few things.

The GX460 is a tank that will chug along to half a million miles with decent care and maintenance. Love those things! And I wouldn’t be concerned running 0W20 or 5W20 or 5W30.
Interesting. I'm only a year and a half into Lexus ownership. I was always a Toyota hater but somehow I came to the dark side. Now my wife wants an LX or a GX. I think she's been looking at the LX

Yea maybe before 2008 ish. Non 2uzfe equipped usa land cruisers are junk compared to the 100 series and before

Back