Here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's currently -2 degrees Fahrenheit outside (Chicagoland area). My '94 T-Bird is sitting out in my driveway with 5W-20 in it for the first time in temps this cold (I've always used 5W-30 in the past). We'll see how it starts in the morning! These kinds of nights would always make my first few seconds after startup an unbearable, noisy experience. If I had bought one of those oil pan warmers, I wouldn't be worried right now...
27.gif

Last edited:
Now it's -7 degrees. Hey, I know it's colder up in the Great White North, but this is crazy. It usually doesn't get like this around here until mid-January. I've run 10W-30 in my previous cars in this weather, but not in an overhead cam engine. Hats off to you guys up north, but this is darn cold no matter how you slice it!
crazy2.gif

Shhh...
We can't say anything about extreme record breaking cold.
It's only correct to mention it when it gets 0.001 deg F above normal!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Shhh...
We can't say anything about extreme record breaking cold.
It's only correct to mention it when it gets 0.001 deg F above normal!

Mentioning aberrations and apparent trends is OK IMHO.

Yes, they named it climate change to cover all possibilities - heat, cold, rain, drought, storms, calm, fish falling from the sky, plagues of locusts, dust storms, meteor showers...

-10C here, with QS winter blend 5w30 and an 8 year old battery... The QSWB starts much easier than old Havoline 5w-20 or Redline 5w-20 did, but that battery has got to go one of these days.

Probably will, I am sure you know you should replace it on your own terms instaed of the battery's terms. ie... in your driveway instead of it conking out of an isolated road in the middle of the night!

I used to have a 1994 Thunderbird with the 4.6 V8. I loved, and I mean absolutely LOVED, that engine and car. Although, I do know the start up clatter that you talk about.

Ok, anyways, let me recommend that you try a Motorcraft filter next time. Just give it a try. I know the start up clatter you speak of. I never got to try a Motorcraft filter on my Thunderbird, but I have got one on my F-150, and it took away every single bit of start up clatter. It's 25F in the mornings here, and when I crank up, it sounds exactly like it would if I had already had it cranked up 10 seconds previously.

Well, she fired up just fine this morning. A slight rumble for the first fraction of a second, but after that it was smooth. I was never a thin oil guy before this, but I have to say 5W-20 is at the very least a good winter oil for this car.

Jaymus, thanks for the tip on Motorcraft filters. I've heard this from a lot of other 4.6 owners, too. I'm running a Wix right now (no problems), but I recently purchased two Motorcraft filters for my future oil changes. $3.28 each at Walmart...can't beat the price!

it's 31 degrees right now with a high of 45. freezing cold weather especially when the wind is blowing. burrrr

It was a balmy 13F here this morning and the GMC which sat outside all night fired right up with no clatter thanks to the Mobil1 7.5w30.
grin2.gif

Okay, now you guys are confusing me!
LOL.gif

Although I've always wondered why the cold viscosity numbers can go by fives, but the operating temp viscosities only go by tens. Actually, it's probably so we BITOGers won't go completely off the deep end. I can imagine quotes like, "I've found 7W-29 to be totally awesome in my four-banger!"
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: byez
-2 degrees Fahrenheit ? ! ? "Yawn"

Check out my forecast. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/71123.html

Not many people i know use a block heater and a good deal more do not care what kind of oil goes in their cars.

I'm flying into Edmonton for a few days next week. I hope it warms up before I get there. Southern Ontario is tropical compared to that area.

You need some global warming. It's wonderful.
(And, don't be melting any ice. You will upset a certain politician).

hey drew!

do a forecast for Nashville this upcoming week!
wink.gif

from weather.com

Sun 12/9 high 71 degrees Low 60 degrees
Mon 12/10 high 74 degrees low 58 degrees
Tue 12/11 high 70 degrees low 50 degrees

It's almost xmas and were gonna get 70 degree temps. Gotta love global warming.
crackmeup2.gif
When I was a kid 20 years ago, it was always in the 20's around Christmas time. I'm going to put my winter oil in my 96 sunfire on Sunday. 10w30 rotella
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilyriser

-10C here, with QS winter blend 5w30 and an 8 year old battery... The QSWB starts much easier than old Havoline 5w-20 or Redline 5w-20 did, but that battery has got to go one of these days.

is that the blue bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back