Just Changed to Super Tech Advanced, Now Have Noisy Startup

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 3.6L Pentastar V6, 107K. I just changed my oil to the Super Tech Advanced 5w-20. I am noticing loud valve noise on startup now. I Usually use Pennzoil Platinum or Havoline Lifelong Synthetic and a Jeep OEM filter.

The filter is a cartridge style on top of the engine so unfortunately there is no anti-drain back valve as far as I know. Rarely I would have a noisy startup in the past, but now, if the Jeep is sitting for a few hours or overnight, it will have a lot of valve noise which stops after a second or two once fresh oil reaches the top of the engine. I ran into a store at lunch and after sitting 30 minutes, I did not hear any valve noise at startup. I only have about 400 miles on the new oil. Any ideas? Thanks
I’m going to get blasted or banned but here goes….
Have you ever thought who is doing quality assurance at Walmart when it comes to their own motor oil?
Does Walmart have a lab?
Yes you can save all of $1.00 but why
not use Pennzoil, Mobil, Havoline, Valvoline, Castrol, or Quaker State?

Have you ever thought who is doing quality assurance at Walmart when it comes to their own motor oil?
Does Walmart have a lab?
Walmart does their own quality assurance on this oil unlike the multitude of other buyers from the exact same blender? You think Costco does too?

Not blasting just trying to have a sense of reality and not disparage one retailer for something completely unwarranted.

Walmart does their own quality assurance on this oil unlike the multitude of other buyers from the exact same blender? You think Costco does too?

Not blasting just trying to have a sense of reality and not disparage one retailer for something completely unwarranted.
I agree. Costco or Walmart. I doubt any randomly check their house brand oils.

i used valvoline ep in my sorento and silverado as super tech is hard to find in 10-30 here at times. both engines loved it! quiet and smoother. think i will stick with it for a while

IME, the things I used house-brand oils on seemed fine when it came to noise. SuperTech is a Warren oil, so is Kirkland and ServicePro. While some oils can be perceived as “quiet” due to moly/titanium(Valvoline or Castrol), some brands of engine are quiet on certain brands of oil(I noticed Hondas love SOPUS oil, and not surprisingly the biggest dealership chains selling Hondas like Hendrick poured SOPUS oils), some engines are naturally noisy.

I have Valvoline MaxLife Red in a Toyota. It seems quieter than PP or M1. There’s Chevron Havoline ProDS in a Subaru I service, it’s a naturally “noisy” engine.

I've owned two Pentastar vehicles. I had a RAM 1500 with one that I sold at 100K. I noticed different brand oils changed the start-up. It was bad on Mobil in terms of noise, best on the Magnatec magic intelligent molecules oil for start-up noise, somewhere between on PP. The Grand Caravan we still own doesn't make as much noise on start-up. Maybe it is just insulation under the hood or engine-to-engine variation but I don't notice the start-up noise as I did in the truck. I'm not sure it matters in terms of engine longevity but I will admit, I preferred the Magnatec because it sounded smoother.

Isn't zinc a quieting agent in oil?
Can zinc additive for flat tappet engines be used for modern engines?

I bought cases of Formula Shell 5W or 10W-30 on clearance. My friends who used it praised it for being quite oil.
Cars, p/u trucks, lawn tractors and some smaller stuff all got it.

Last edited:
Can zinc additive for flat tappet engines be used for modern engines? ...
I zinc you know the answer!

FS was moly laden.

Quiet and ... dirty - gotta watch out for those quiet ones !

Then Most high dose moly oils failed the ASTM Thermo oxidation bench tests

Asian 0w20 got a MoDTC reprieve - before they were commonly spec'd for high power density TC engine.

Used FS with Subaru EJ engines for as long as it was available. A wonderful frankenbrew: One quart in along with a balance of the late, great Rotella T triple protect mixed fleet 10W30.

Does Walmart have a lab?
Warren does - - - that is where it is coming from.
No difference to the other guys.

The filter is a cartridge style on top of the engine so unfortunately there is no anti-drain back valve as far as I know.
The design of the PUG oiling system prevents the oil from draining back. Specifically, the tip on the end of the filter with the o-ring is the "ADBV".

You can test this on your next oil change by draining all of the oil and once it stops pull the filter. Additional oil will drain out...

Warren does - - - that is where it is coming from.
No difference to the other guys.
Got it. Was at the local Walmart today. They had an end cap of Valvoline Advanced in 5 gallon jugs. It was priced at $29 and change. Walked on to the wall where all the other oils were and there was Valvoline Advanced for $26. I guess I’ve found Walmart so inconsistent that I don’t trust their oil. Crazy I know but I is who I is.

Look, @jceo if an oil change caused a noise on my car, and I had a canister filter, then, I would change the filter. Now, not later.

See if the noise goes away.

If not, change the oil. See if the noise goes away.

Have you done either?
That's way too logical...like the engineering problem solving textbook prescribes.
You'll need to leave BITOG now, sorry. 😉

Back