Help Getting Dish Network Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Thank goodness we've been smart enough not to pay through the nose for something as inane as television. People actually shell out $70 or more a month? Really? Hassles with customer service? Nothing but shows with commercials? Hundreds of channels with nothing on?

No thanks-I have far better things to do with my time.

Great, we're all real proud of you.

Thank goodness we've been smart enough not to pay through the nose for something as inane as television. People actually shell out $70 or more a month? Really? Hassles with customer service? Nothing but shows with commercials? Hundreds of channels with nothing on?

Yeah - like make grumpy old man posts about other people's television service in the Off Topic section of an internet message board dedicated to motor oil! I commend you sir!

I tend to agree, I think these pay TV services like DirecTV think that the customers are stupid, and treat them as such with their rude, obnoxious, incompetent Customer NO Service Reps.

If you sign up for DirecTV contracts you are asking for lots of hassle. You've been warned.
whistle.gif

THE FINAL RESULTS:

-I am getting 100% free upgrade of HD receiver and dish, with free installation. Same 2 TV service.

- I do not have to add any other fees. (They waived $95 install fee AND "mandatory" protection package @ $6/month).

- My bill will DROP $7/month for same channel package (now with HD).

All in all....success! Here's what worked:

1.I had Direct TV new customer cost in hand...potential to save $300 over 2 years in my case. I told them this.

2. Using link provided here by sleddriver, pressed on prompt "disconnect service". This got me directly to "customer retention" and/or damage control. Chat and regular customer service failed previously.

3. After hearing I wanted HD and planned to save $300 thru Direct, see didn't hesitate to offer what I wanted.

The key was to get to customer retention directly AND "gently, but persuasively" letting them know that I was ready to disconnect (state potential savings).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It REALLY helped.

This is not precisely relevant, but I have a TV w/poor reception despite various antennas, and Internet w/ Hulu, etc. I just bought and had a friend install a Winegard Free Vision ant. and pole and amp. and low loss cable. Very big improvement, going from 3 poor stations to 20 good ones. You may not wish to do so but I encourage everyone to think about free TV and i-net service since the only way cable/dish/etc. will become reasonable is if more people become price sensitive. Most folks never consider this combo as a real alternative at all. Just a thought.

I goes to show you that DISH customer service is far better than
the rude, arrogant little {bypassing the censor} that handle the phones at DirecTV...this applies especially to the retention department at DirecTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: 91344George
I goes to show you that DISH customer service is far better than
the rude, arrogant little {bypassing the censor} that handle the phones at DirecTV...this applies especially to the retention department at DirecTV.

George, I have to say that you certainly are persistent about your opinions! Poor Direct TV is going to regret having burned you.

To add to my story, to get free HD service for life (normally $10/month)one has to agree to "paperless" billing......you give them your credit card number and they extract the money monthly. This didn't work for me due to several reasons so they waived that requirement too.

And, to top it off, the basic 2 TV package is for one HD/one standard definition. They installed mine for 2 HD TV's at no extra charge.

They installed the new equipment today, less than 18 hours after I placed the order. The young installer did such a wonderful job (courteous,detail oriented)that I tipped him AND called his boss to compliment the install.

When I compared Direct to DISH (similar packages), DISH consistently offered more channels and more HD.

I'm a satisfied customer.

Finally, to those who think pay TV is wasteful. I agree, it is not a frugal expenditure. But, I can't take ALL my money to heaven. I don't smoke, drink (much), golf, boat, "invest" in cars, snowmobile, belong to gym, fancy vacations, fancy $$ cell phones, fancy dining out........you get the picture. Everyone needs at least one vice, and my TV viewing is mostly movies, educational, news, etc., and not the trashy stuff. Rant over.

We have had DirecTv for 7 years. Service has been good and our one HD receiver has had nary a problem.
The few calls we have made to customer service has been great. A lot depends on how you talk to them.

My wife works with a lady that switched from DTV to Dish a year ago and hates it for some reason. She is switching back to DTV so my wife says.

DTV is good about giving us a loyalty gift every year of our subscription as well.

After reading some posts....I see some folks have "chips" on their shoulders. Guy asks for opinions on Dish and gets responses like paying for inane tv service....gee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
We have had DirecTv for 7 years.The few calls we have made to customer service has been great. A lot depends on how you talk to them.

Strange because I had never been rude or obnoxious to the CSR bums at DirecTV. Yet the attitude of most of these clowns was rude and obnoxious with the most horrific encounter the last one with some customer retention genius. That call was the worst experience I have ever had with ANY CSR at ANY business I have ever dealt with in my entire life. That bad!

It was so bad, abusive, and borderline fraudulent, that I sent a brief letter recounting my horrible experience to the CEO of DirecTV. I was very professional with the way I wrote the letter, it was a recounting of events and requesting that he have someone look into this problem because I couldn't believe that they would approve of this. Requested that they contact me to let me know how they would address this issue in the future with customers as I would not return to DirecTV unless some changes were made.

It has been THREE plus months since writing to them return receipt requested (they did receive the letter, signed for it) and have not received as much as a brief courtsey form letter from corporate.

I will throw dirt in the fact of DirecTV any chance I get. The whole operation is very poorly run! Currenly there are two class action suits against DirecTV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
We have had DirecTv for 7 years.The few calls we have made to customer service has been great. A lot depends on how you talk to them.

Strange because I had never been rude or obnoxious to the CSR bums at DirecTV. Yet the attitude of most of these clowns was rude and obnoxious with the most horrific encounter the last one with some customer retention genius. That call was the worst experience I have ever had with ANY CSR at ANY business I have ever dealt with in my entire life. That bad!

It was so bad, abusive, and borderline fraudulent, that I sent a brief letter recounting my horrible experience to the CEO of DirecTV. I was very professional with the way I wrote the letter, it was a recounting of events and requesting that he have someone look into this problem because I couldn't believe that they would approve of this. Requested that they contact me to let me know how they would address this issue in the future with customers as I would not return to DirecTV unless some changes were made.

It has been THREE plus months since writing to them return receipt requested (they did receive the letter, signed for it) and have not received as much as a brief courtsey form letter from corporate.

I will throw dirt in the fact of DirecTV any chance I get. The whole operation is very poorly run! Currenly there are two class action suits against DirecTV.

Disgruntled customer
crackmeup2.gif

Only two class action lawsuits against DirecTV? Not bad!

How many disgruntled customers from Comcast or Brighthouse or Time-Warner or even Apple computer who has a religious-like following? A lot more I reckon.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
DirecTV ruined someone's life!

Nope. I just like to make sure that when a company mistreats a GOOD customer they pay for it by losing other potential customers...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back