Upgrading Travel Trailers - DIY Projects Inside

(Mods, feel free to move to a different forum. This is a sort-of mechanical post, but not about cars)

I threatened to do this a while back, and since I just finished another upgrade today, I figured I'd sit down and make a mega post of what has been done so far.

The trailer: Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DJSE 'Stick and Tin' Construction (IE it has studded walls covered by paneling, this makes some things easier.)

Listed in no Particular order:

1. Morryde CRE2-3000 Suspension and Wet Bolts

Why - The factory shackles, bolts, and bushings are garbage. The bushings are plastic and had already started wearing through by the time I did this upgrade earlier this year with less than 3000 miles on the trailer. Wet bolts allow you to inject grease into the bushings.

Difficulty - Install 5/10 (Lifting and securing the trailer? 8/10 unless you have a some really nice jacks and stands) The actual install is easy. The hardest part is putting the trailer in the air with all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time.

Cost - $179 for the suspension $80 for the wet bolts

Old (right) New (Left)

IMG_20230210_154519429_HDR.jpg

Before:
IMG_20230210_153830928_HDR.jpg

After:
IMG_20230210_153842683_HDR.jpg

2. Tire Upgrade - Carlisle Radial Trail HD

Why - The tires that come with the trailer are rated for 65mph and are, ehh, not great. The Carlisles are not quite as nice as the Goodyear Endurance's, but they're a little more affordable and are probably 90% the tire the GY's are.

Difficulty - 1/10 - I had Tire Rack's Mobile installer stop by. They will not remove the tires from a trailer, but it is super simple to put one or two wheels in the air at a time and let him mount the tires while you shuttle them up and back to his van.

Cost - $89/Tire and $120 for the install

IMG_20230302_164728700.jpg

3. Dimming overhead lights

Why - Sometimes you want less light and would prefer to dim the overheads instead of turning them off. Especially useful for the lights over the beds.

Difficulty - 1/10 (For me) - Cherokee uses WAGO connectors for everything, so you just pull the old lights down and put the new ones up. Super easy in my trailer.

Cost - $40/4 Lights - I replaced a total of 8 (Out of 10 that are inside the trailer)

4. New USB Charging Ports

Why - The ones they put in the trailer are SLOW, and sometimes wouldn't even charge our phones properly. The new ones also have a USB-C PD port that the others didn't. New ones to the left and right of the master bed. Also some plug expander style ones in a few other places. We now have probably 20 fast charge/high power USB ports in the thing. If you can't charge your device in our camper, it can't be charged.

Difficulty - 3/10 - I had to 3d print some plates to cover the wider screw holes of the old in wall plates.

Cost - $6ea for the new charging ports $12ea for the plug expanders.

IMG_20230831_211053443.jpg

5. Shower Curtain Rod

Why - The factory one runs straight across and doesn't give you a lot of room in the shower. The new one is curved outward and gives some more space so the curtain isn't sticking to you.

Difficulty - 2/10 - Wall inserts and screws

Cost - $35 for the new rod and curtain. You can just get a residential curtain and cut it to fit if you're not picky.

IMG_20230831_211200899.jpg

6. Hanging Storage

Why - You need a place to hang things and this trailer came with none.

His and her 4 post coat racks, one on either side of the bed.
2 Posts attached to the back of the bathroom door.
4 Post key rack at the entrance.
Towel rack in the bathroom.

Difficulty - 2/10 - Screws/Screws+Anchors. This is where the 'stick and tin' trailers are an advantage. There are studs in the walls 16 inches on center. If you don't mind the alignment, you can sink your screws into the studs.

IMG_20230831_211103106.jpg

7. Gas assist struts for master bed and cabinets.

Why - Holding up cabinet doors and the storage access under the bed is a pain.

Difficulty - 4/10. Mainly just for the bed. You'll have to fabricate some mounting brackets if you want to do it cheaply and not spring for one of the expensive kits. I just needed a couple of chunks of 2x4 and long screws as well as some scrap pieces of wood and wood glue. All stuff I have laying around.

Cost - $25 for the bed shocks and $18 for the cabinets

IMG_20230831_211725113.jpg

IMG_20230210_200523079.jpg

IMG_20230210_200527741.jpg

8. Fridge switch.

Why - My camper has a 12v compressor fridge. These are new within the last few years and work just like your fridge in your house, except the compressor motor runs on 12v. My model year has no way to pull power to the thing except by pulling a fuse in the fuse box. So every time you turn on the battery, the fridge would start unless you pulled the fuse. I felt like that is not great for the compressor to be starting and stopping all the time if I turned the battery on and turned the fridge right back off, so I added a switch to the power line. I'm lucky in that all my power is right near the fridge and all I had to do was interrupt the positive wire with a heavy duty switch. I've noticed that some trailers are coming configured like this from the factory now, so someone must have the same thoughts I did.

Difficulty (For me) - 2/10 - Mainly for having to lay on the floor to do it.

Cost - $5 Switch

IMG_20230831_211136544.jpg

9. Water filter

Why - The camper came with an under-sink pump soap bottle that we never used because the soap would dry out and get yuck between trips, but it leaves a nice hole next to the faucet for something. How about an under sink filter so we can quit carrying the Brita pitcher around. This filter takes the same 2.5x10" filters we use on the countertop unit in the house, and there are a wide selection of filters for them.

Difficulty - 3/10 - Crawling under the counter again

Cost - $80 for the Filter, faucet, line, and tap for the water line.

IMG_20230831_172903791.jpg

IMG_20230831_172910066_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230831_174316005_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230831_211005291.jpg

Last edited:
Nice project. I have to do some maintenance on mine in the spring. I want to pull apart the brakes and check everything and repack the bearings. I have always thought the shackles and the suspension are super cheesy on my trailer. Cool upgrade, im going to keep that in mind. Happy camping.

(Mods, feel free to move to a different forum. This is a sort-of mechanical post, but not about cars)

I threatened to do this a while back, and since I just finished another upgrade today, I figured I'd sit down and make a mega post of what has been done so far.

The trailer: Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DJSE 'Stick and Tin' Construction (IE it has studded walls covered by paneling, this makes some things easier.)

Listed in no Particular order:

1. Morryde CRE2-3000 Suspension and Wet Bolts

Why - The factory shackles, bolts, and bushings are garbage. The bushings are plastic and had already started wearing through by the time I did this upgrade earlier this year with less than 3000 miles on the trailer. Wet bolts allow you to inject grease into the bushings.

Difficulty - Install 5/10 (Lifting and securing the trailer? 8/10 unless you have a some really nice jacks and stands) The actual install is easy. The hardest part is putting the trailer in the air with all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time.

Cost - $179 for the suspension $80 for the wet bolts

Old (right) New (Left)

View attachment 176117

Before:
View attachment 176118

After:
View attachment 176119

2. Tire Upgrade - Carlisle Radial Trail HD

Why - The tires that come with the trailer are rated for 65mph and are, ehh, not great. The Carlisles are not quite as nice as the Goodyear Endurance's, but they're a little more affordable and are probably 90% the tire the GY's are.

Difficulty - 1/10 - I had Tire Rack's Mobile installer stop by. They will not remove the tires from a trailer, but it is super simple to put one or two wheels in the air at a time and let him mount the tires while you shuttle them up and back to his van.

Cost - $89/Tire and $120 for the install

View attachment 176120

3. Dimming overhead lights

Why - Sometimes you want less light and would prefer to dim the overheads instead of turning them off. Especially useful for the lights over the beds.

Difficulty - 1/10 (For me) - Cherokee uses WAGO connectors for everything, so you just pull the old lights down and put the new ones up. Super easy in my trailer.

Cost - $40/4 Lights - I replaced a total of 8 (Out of 10 that are inside the trailer)

4. New USB Charging Ports

Why - The ones they put in the trailer are SLOW, and sometimes wouldn't even charge our phones properly. The new ones also have a USB-C PD port that the others didn't. New ones to the left and right of the master bed. Also some plug expander style ones in a few other places. We now have probably 20 fast charge/high power USB ports in the thing. If you can't charge your device in our camper, it can't be charged.

Difficulty - 3/10 - I had to 3d print some plates to cover the wider screw holes of the old in wall plates.

Cost - $6ea for the new charging ports $12ea for the plug expanders.

View attachment 176122

5. Shower Curtain Rod

Why - The factory one runs straight across and doesn't give you a lot of room in the shower. The new one is curved outward and gives some more space so the curtain isn't sticking to you.

Difficulty - 2/10 - Wall inserts and screws

Cost - $35 for the new rod and curtain. You can just get a residential curtain and cut it to fit if you're not picky.

View attachment 176123

6. Hanging Storage

Why - You need a place to hang things and this trailer came with none.

His and her 4 post coat racks, one on either side of the bed.
2 Posts attached to the back of the bathroom door.
4 Post key rack at the entrance.
Towel rack in the bathroom.

Difficulty - 2/10 - Screws/Screws+Anchors. This is where the 'stick and tin' trailers are an advantage. There are studs in the walls 16 inches on center. If you don't mind the alignment, you can sink your screws into the studs.

View attachment 176124

7. Gas assist struts for master bed and cabinets.

Why - Holding up cabinet doors and the storage access under the bed is a pain.

Difficulty - 4/10. Mainly just for the bed. You'll have to fabricate some mounting brackets if you want to do it cheaply and not spring for one of the expensive kits. I just needed a couple of chunks of 2x4 and long screws as well as some scrap pieces of wood and wood glue. All stuff I have laying around.

Cost - $25 for the bed shocks and $18 for the cabinets

View attachment 176126

View attachment 176127

View attachment 176128
Nice write up! Thanks for the pics!

10. Quick connect fittings everywhere

Why - Why? They're just better. No screwing around screwing hoses together. I have many many sets on all my water lines, pressure regulators, and outdoor filters. When we get to the campsite, the only thing I have to screw on is the one fitting on the campsites water faucet. Everything else just clicks together. I did 3d print TPU caps for them to keep the crud out between trips.

Difficulty - -10/10 they make life that much more simple

Cost - $10 - Set of 6. I'm not sure how many sets I've bought, I really do have them all over the place, both on the camper and at home.
IMG_20230831_211307594.jpg

IMG_20230831_211252650.jpg

11. Stinky Slinky Storage

Why - I don't like storing them in the bumper. My bumper caps are always threatening to fall off and this is slightly more secure.

Difficulty - 2/10 - Just self tapping screws into metal.

Cost - $54

I just realized I need to get under there with some paint this upcoming weekend.

IMG_20230831_211324762.jpg

12. Cargo rack tie downs - These are just simple U Bolts drilled into the cargo rack to give me a place to hook tiedowns. I put 6 of them in the rack. 2 on each end and 2 in the middle.

Why - I don't like attaching tie-downs to expanded metal

Difficulty - 4/10 - Lots of metal drilling, locktite, etc.

IMG_20230831_211346709.jpg

A Note on Build Quality/Attention to Detail

As shipped, my cargo rack was attached to the bumper with the attachment bolt fully rearward. This was putting more strain on the bumper than it should have. It was installed this way, because if you slide it the whole way forward, as it should be, it interferes with the licence plate. My temporary solution to that is to flip the tail light upside down (The license plate holder is part of the left tail light) so that the plate is out of the way of the cargo rack mount. This should take a lot of the leverage stress off the bumper. You can see in this picture where I've moved the U-bolt fully forward. You can also see that I've flipped the right tail light to match the left. New tail lights are on the way. Sealed LED units to replace these incandescent ones.

IMG_20230831_211356582.jpg

13. Asus Chromebox

Why - I'm well aware that camping is about getting away/unplugging. But sometimes you need to look up local restaurants, or pay some bills while you're on the road, and I'm one of those people that think using a phone to do 'real' computer work SUCKS.

Difficulty - 1/10 - More screws in the wall

Cost - $20 (+$30 in wireless keyboard/mouse) from Ebay. It is a few generations old, but it is Chrome OS, so it gets the job done.

It's peeking out from behind the TV. HDMI Switcher right below, and a FireStick below that. I had everything but the ChromeBox and the TV only has one HDMI input, so I used a switcher I'd had on hand for some reason.
IMG_20230831_211025257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230831_211032246.jpg

14 - Hanging basket storage. See picture above

Why - I needed a few places to shove some things. Came in a pack of 3 so I hung all 3 of them up.

One holds the TV/Firestick remotes (Above) a bluetooth speaker, and wireless keyboard/mouse.
One is mounted on the back of the couch near where I sleep. I put sunglasses and random crap from my pockets in it.
One is mounted close to the floor by the door on the back of the dinette. Currently holding plastic bags for dog poo pickup.

Cost - $15

Difficulty - 1/10

15 - Renogy solar controller

Why - Not only was the factory controller some off brand thing, it was mis-wired from the factory and nearly cooked my battery. They had the panel essentially wired straight to the battery, so that when the battery was full and the sun was out, the voltage would climb to 18V+ on the battery terminals. Also, there was no way to pull the converter or panels from the circuit. Now I have a disconnect built in via the fuse block.

I didn't need to use a 4 position block, but I had one, so that's what went in.

Cost - $20 for the controller

Difficulty - 1/10

IMG_20230831_225127679.jpg

Nice project. I have to do some maintenance on mine in the spring. I want to pull apart the brakes and check everything and repack the bearings. I have always thought the shackles and the suspension are super cheesy on my trailer. Cool upgrade, im going to keep that in mind. Happy camping.
If you have a tandem axle, it is WELL worth the money. The before and after is night and day. Even if you have a bigger truck that isn't influenced by the trailer, it smooths things out a LOT.

I'm sure the Lippert one would work just as well, and I think there is another of similar design that I can't think of offhand.

If you have a tandem axle, it is WELL worth the money. The before and after is night and day. Even if you have a bigger truck that isn't influenced by the trailer, it smooths things out a LOT.

I'm sure the Lippert one would work just as well, and I think there is another of similar design that I can't think of offhand.
mine is 37 feet end to end. Dual axle. Chassis is Lippert. Not impressed by the build quality on the chassis either looking at a bunch of the welds. It’s about 11,000 lbs the way we load it. I tow it with an F350 with a powerstroke.

Trailer is a forest river wildwood 31KQTBS

Last edited:
mine is 37 feet end to end. Dual axle. Chassis is Lippert. Not impressed by the build quality on the chassis either looking at a bunch of the welds. It’s about 11,000 lbs the way we load it. I tow it with an F350 with a powerstroke.

Trailer is a forest river wildwood 31KQTBS
Lippert chassis here as well. It is...well, about the same as yours I'm sure. I need to get under it with some paint. I know it is just surface rust, and here in GA I'm not likely to have problems, but it bugs me that the factory coating is so thin. So I'll shoot it with some flat black and call it a day.

Nice list of upgrades, makes mine look pretty basic.

Our Grand Design trailer has Lippert components that are mediocre at best as well as the general build quality.

Your list of mods illustrates the saying that when you get an rv you have 2 Hobbies, using the rv and working on the rv. 😋
Truth.

I'm not sure which I'd rather have though. Something that came loaded, or a blank slate. I think I'd lean blank slate. yea, you've got to put work in, but as long as you choose the base model carefully, you can make it more of a home away from home than if it already came with a bunch of stuff.

Maybe I'm just talking crap though. Not sure.

I wanted a Grand Design, decided to save the money since this was our first. Maybe next go-round.

Lippert chassis here as well. It is...well, about the same as yours I'm sure. I need to get under it with some paint. I know it is just surface rust, and here in GA I'm not likely to have problems, but it bugs me that the factory coating is so thin. So I'll shoot it with some flat black and call it a day.

Mine is a 2021 trailer and has some light surface rust starting already as well in spots too. Im in New England though. I’m hitting it with noxudol 300 after the season.

Last edited:
I almost always enjoyed working on mine. I could be creative with fewer risks and penalties than say, my house. Good place to tinker, and you’ll improve anything you touch, which seems rewarding. Nice work!

I wanted a Grand Design, decided to save the money since this was our first. Maybe next go-round.
Grand Design has a rep for better build quality. Ours is a 2017, before any C19 excuses and I don't see it. We bought it very lightly used and I had to do a list of fixes of things that were wrong from the factory. Like you guys I enjoy tinkering and improving, if I didn't it would be a PITA.

Nicely done.

The 'tighten stranded wires under screw' terminals on the Renogy SCC, will become problematic with age, and heat cycling, and vibration.

One cannot really torque them, adequately, assuredly, before stripping weak threads.

I would put some padded cable clamps to eliminate any remaining wire weight/ vibrational mass, on those terminations, and give them a snug after the first time the batteries are low and panels feeding them at near their rated wattage all day long, and then somewhat regularly thereafter.

My Terminals on a 2007 installed Blue sky Mppt solar charge controller were a regular ***/PITA nightmare, untill 2012, when the screws were then clamping a properly crimped, modified ring terminal, instead of stranded wire.

No issues in the 13 years since.

Nicely done.

The 'tighten stranded wires under screw' terminals on the Renogy SCC, will become problematic with age, and heat cycling, and vibration.

One cannot really torque them, adequately, assuredly, before stripping weak threads.

I would put some padded cable clamps to eliminate any remaining wire weight/ vibrational mass, on those terminations, and give them a snug after the first time the batteries are low and panels feeding them at near their rated wattage all day long, and then somewhat regularly thereafter.

My Terminals on a 2007 installed Blue sky Mppt solar charge controller were a regular ***/PITA nightmare, untill 2012, when the screws were then clamping a properly crimped, modified ring terminal, instead of stranded wire.

No issues in the 13 years since.
So far everything is tight, but I keep an eye on things on a pretty regular basis.

That particular controller isn't long for this world. The 50 watt panel is getting replaced with probably a 175-200-watt single panel when I get around to it. The 50 watts is nice for keeping the battery topped up when nothing else is running, but I'd like to be able to actually power the fridge during the daytime to take that load off of the truck or to keep it topped up when we're stopped for meals. We don't boondock, but I'd just like a little more capability out of the sun.

Carlisles are pretty good trailer tires... no sense in going to the extra expense of GY. As far as the more ryde goes, you might also consider beefing up the shackles on the frame to spring weldment by adding supports and more weld. those are known to tear off trailers...
Don't tempt me to buy a welder. :)

I keep an eye on them though. I thought about adding the X-Brace thing that they make to go between the two center mounts.

'X-Factor' brace...ugh, dumb name

So far everything is tight, but I keep an eye on things on a pretty regular basis.

That particular controller isn't long for this world. The 50 watt panel is getting replaced with probably a 175-200-watt single panel when I get around to it. The 50 watts is nice for keeping the battery topped up when nothing else is running, but I'd like to be able to actually power the fridge during the daytime to take that load off of the truck or to keep it topped up when we're stopped for meals. We don't boondock, but I'd just like a little more capability out of the sun.
you might want to go the dual 6 volt golf cart battery route assuming you have room. I went that route on my fifth wheel, simply because it enabled me to run my CPAP and a fan at night without being hooked up to shore power. FWIW if its a true RV fridge running propane while using 12v, it really doesn't use much current, so it shouldn't be a big deal if you leave it the way it is.

Back