Bought new boat - what engine to get with it?

So Wally. Did you buy that boat and motor? This thread got reactivated.

I put a deposit down on a Starweld last August. It was kind of a rushed decision (4 YO was being a handful, wife was not helpful due to that and wanted me to "just make a decision"). But after getting home I started researching and A LOT of complaints of Starwelds (and Starcraft, but to a lesser extent) listing. Dealer was not good (American Marine in Shawano, WI), and went against the writing in their own contract in not giving deposit back. If it was a full 10% like they wanted me to put down I would have sued them to get it back. But they did let me spend it on "sales" (not "accessories"), and my parents wanted some nice Amish outdoor furniture they had so it worked out.

So now we are looking again. If up to me I'd get the 2023 Alumacraft Trophy 1850 for around $45k at a local dealer. Would have already bought it last fall if not for the big rod locker in the middle that makes the bow mostly useless for recreation. The Starweld was literally the only fishing boat I found that has a bowrider style bow, but that obviously didn't work out.

Wife wants a pontoon. I am not a serious fisherman, but want some fishability. Problem is that I can't store that at the house, so extra costs every year for a slip and winter storage. I will create another thread on that here in a few minutes.

Last edited:
I put a deposit down on a Starweld last August. It was kind of a rushed decision (4 YO was being a handful, wife was not helpful due to that and wanted me to "just make a decision"). But after getting home I started researching and A LOT of complaints of Starwelds (and Starcraft, but to a lesser extent) listing. Dealer was not good (American Marine in Shawano, WI), and went against the writing in their own contract in not giving deposit back. If it was a full 10% like they wanted me to put down I would have sued them to get it back. But they did let me spend it on "sales" (not "accessories"), and my parents wanted some nice Amish outdoor furniture they had so it worked out.

So now we are looking again. If up to me I'd get the 2023 Alumacraft Trophy 1850 for around $45k at a local dealer. Would have already bought it last fall if not for the big rod locker in the middle that makes the bow mostly useless for recreation. The Starweld was literally the only fishing boat I found that has a bowrider style bow, but that obviously didn't work out.

Wife wants a pontoon. I am not a serious fisherman, but want some fishability. Problem is that I can't store that at the house, so extra costs every year for a slip and winter storage. I will create another thread on that here in a few minutes.
You made a wise decision. After you buy and boat and motor, remember that you are making a relationship with a dealer for warranty service, etc. A bad dealer can make a good boat a headache but a great dealer can't make a good boat a dream, either. You need both. With regard to engine (your first post), Either Yamaha or Mercury would be fine depending on which the dealer sells and services. Hondas tend to be too heavy. Suzuki might be okay, but dealers and service are fewer. I can recommend this forum where the best information can be found: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum-14/

Back