Bought new boat - what engine to get with it?

Not sure if it’s the same in your area but there are fall and spring boat shows in the south. Some actually on the water so test rides are possible. Most manufacturers have “boat show” prices that are discounted as well as better financing deals (if needed). Usually insurance companies are there with “boat show” discounts on policies as well as Sea Tow or Tow Boat US also. That sucks about the dealer holding your down payment but if that’s the way they operate you may be dodging problems after the purchase anyway. Lund makes a really nice aluminum hull. I don’t think you can go wrong there. What are the most common styles and manufacturers on your body of water? Perhaps a couple of Saturdays at the boat launch to watch, learn, and chat up the owners may help with your purchase decision.

Suzuki is very popular around here and we have a 115 on our 21 Carlolina Skiff. Works great and we go out on the intercoastal all the time. I just did the first 20hr oil change. Super easy on it and the lower unit. It's my understanding that the Yamaha only has a one year warranty but the Suzuki has a 5 yr. At least that is what they told me when we purchased it.
They lied. Yamaha and Mercury have a 3-year warranty.

They lied. Yamaha and Mercury have a 3-year warranty.

And the poster said Yamaha had a promotion till Labor Day, and you got a additional 2 years for a total of 5 on Yamaha. Back in ‘15 when I got my Mercury it was 3 years and they had a promotion at the time for a additional 2. I never used any of it.
Out of 7 Yamaha’s, 4 Johnson’s(OMC)and 2 Mercury’s, I used warranty exactly 1 time. That was on a 1995 Johnson Fast Strike 150 that the VRO oil/ fuel mixer had a crack and was leaking fuel. (Plastic housing).

I'm in 100% salt water and Yamaha dominates the outboard market here. Family sized boats pull up to natural sand bars here and 90% of them will have Yamahas hanging off the back.

Not sure if it’s the same in your area but there are fall and spring boat shows in the south. Some actually on the water so test rides are possible. Most manufacturers have “boat show” prices that are discounted as well as better financing deals (if needed). Usually insurance companies are there with “boat show” discounts on policies as well as Sea Tow or Tow Boat US also. That sucks about the dealer holding your down payment but if that’s the way they operate you may be dodging problems after the purchase anyway. Lund makes a really nice aluminum hull. I don’t think you can go wrong there. What are the most common styles and manufacturers on your body of water? Perhaps a couple of Saturdays at the boat launch to watch, learn, and chat up the owners may help with your purchase decision.

We have boat shows in Milwaukee and Green Bay in Feb or March. I would go to GB. Unfortunately none offer demos. However, a local dealer has a 2021 used Crossover XS that I can demo now.

Prices right now at end of season are slightly better, but also are 2023 models and I would only use it through Sept but be paying all winter in year 1. Maybe prices will be even better in December on 2023.

Around here the popular boats are Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, Triton, and maybe could throw in Ranger or Tracker.

I am looking at Lund, Alumacraft (full length double thick hull, Lund is just bow), or fiberglass Triton. Not sure about aluminum yet and leaking and handling waves.

Last edited:
After all the research and seeing YouTube videos of saltwater guides that have switched from Yamaha to Suzuki plus the fact that their small motors are still fuel injected my next outboard is gonna be a Suzuki.

Yamaha is king not even a question. Way better warranty and support than Suzuki. Now Suzuki makes great engines but there’s no disputing Yamaha.

I do a lot of marine fuel injectors, they have a lot more issues than when installed in a car engine. The Mercury Optimax are very expensive and are crap especially the air injectors, the Evinrude E-Tec and other engines using the Fichte injectors are unbelievably poor trouble prone and super expensive. From what I see Yamaha has the best ones (injectors and engines), their HPDI are very solid and easy to clean. Suzuki I will have to check.
Find out what the exact engines are and post it, I can tell you more if you need.
You are reporting info regarding engines made 20 years ago. All true for that era. Not really pertaining to today’s marine engines.

Is their any guide that puts out "frequency of repair" for outboards like Consumer Reports puts out for cars? I own a VP I/O but when I look at outboards with their cover off at the marina it looks like everything is crammed together under the cover. Not easy for the shade tree mechanic to work on.

We have boat shows in Milwaukee and Green Bay in Feb or March. I would go to GB. Unfortunately none offer demos. However, a local dealer has a 2021 used Crossover XS that I can demo now.

Prices right now at end of season are slightly better, but also are 2023 models and I would only use it through Sept but be paying all winter in year 1. Maybe prices will be even better in December on 2023.

Around here the popular boats are Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, Triton, and maybe could throw in Ranger or Tracker.

I am looking at Lund, Alumacraft (full length double thick hull, Lund is just bow), or fiberglass Triton. Not sure about aluminum yet and leaking and handling waves.
So Wally. Did you buy that boat and motor? This thread got reactivated.

I truly get a kick out of Botoggers who complain that all the manufacturing is outsourced from outside of the USA. Apparently, from this thread’s info, you can buy a Mercury outboard made in the USA. What’s the problem? It should be an easy decision if a person was a patriot.

Last edited:
Some people love Mercury.

1AE5D94D-0156-465E-ACB6-EEACCC20AE0C.jpeg

I wanted white and 4-stroke, so years ago I bought a 115 Johnson made by Suzuki. Was good to me in the ocean.

Back