Help Getting Dish Network Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to get my 10 year old + Dish Network receivers/dish upgraded to HD (high definition) equipment.

If you are a new customer, they kiss up royally with all free equipment, installation, and price cuts.

For existing customers its a different story. I tried the "I'm going to switch to Direct TV ploy with no help (D TV has the free perks for new installation too).

Anyone have any secrets to get Dish Network to upgrade me without charges? Seems like they would treat loyal customers with some perks too. Thanks.

Call them and complain about how new customers get all of the good deals and the loyal 10 year customers don't get squat, don't budge on trying to get compensated like you were a new customer, if the agent refuses, ask to speak to his supervisor, eventually you will get your equipment upgraded for free and maybe some free hbo/showtime, my step dad installs Dish, he does a lot of free upgrades for customers that have been with them for years because they did the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
DirecTV's packages are slightly more expensive after their initial cheap deals they use to suck in customers.

Thank you for the feedback, Brenden.

Here is how my first attempt went:

ME: Please upgrade me to HD,.....

THEM: You qualify as a "special, long time, excellent customer". We can upgrade you for a $95 service fee, 2 year contract, auto pay/paperless.....

ME: I would like to upgrade my equipment per the new customer plan without any charges. I do NOT need the HBO 3 month perks, etc.. If you cannot do this, I will switch to Direct TV for their new customer free installation deal.

THEM: Let me connect you with our customer service "manager".

THEM: Yes, we can waive the $95 install fee, but you have to purchase our $6 per month service/maintenance plan.

ME: I don't want the service/maintenance plan. At this point, I thought I was initiating negotiations and that I would be successful.

Them: Then you have to pay the $95 upgrade fee......

When I then said, thank you, I will switch to Direct TV, they didn't offer anymore.

I want to try one more time and I am looking for better techniques. Brendan, your advice at least tells me to try again with more assertiveness.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why not just switch to DirecTV?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

I had DirecTV and they were the worst company I have EVER dealt with in my entire life.

CSRs are liars, rude, and obnoxious to boot.

I had finished my 2 yr contract with them and was simply calling to cancel ...not to get any deals...I couldn't believe the scary behavior of the CSR.

Read this. dbstalk.com

I've been with Directv since 2002. Called back in June to cancel my service since the rates have been going up to $73 (2 units non HD/DVR) and I was sick of the cost. The CSR gave me a 1 year $30 per month off discount if I stuck with Directv and even gave me 3 months of Showtime/HBO/Starz (I'd never pay for that service) for my trouble.

Then in Sept we had a serious power failure which took out one of my units so I called them up and they provided me two new units next day delivery. (Told them that I wanted both remotes to be the same and they could not provide a older unit like I had to replace)

Called to activate and they work well (I like my old units which had 4 custom directories vs the new "improved" units with their 2) but I've been impressed with Directv for years.

I had Dish before and they just kept upping their prices to a point that back in 2002 I called them up. They would not budge so I cancelled them. If Directv does not keep up with the discount that I'm getting I'll cancel them in a heartbeat. I'm month to month (I asked before the discount was given and before they shipped out the new units if the month to month would change) so I don't *need* to pay $73 for TV anymore.

For $50 or less I'll keep it but a penny more and I'm gone.

Just tell them that you'll cancel and mean it. If they don't value your business then go to Directv and even if it is a little more I'd rather deal with them than someone who could care less.

I've found Directv's customer service to be very good. Better than most IMO. Try some cell phone companies if you really want how not to treat customers (that is if you can understand them)

Bill

Some of D* (DirecTV) support people are terrible. Most have been decent.

Going on our 14th year, was tempted to go Dish a few years ago, but the cost would be higher over time even though Dish would have been less initially.

Other than not having ever niche channel available on HD, they have the ones that matter and service has been great year after year. Sports packages are great too, if you're into that sorta thing.

If you do choose D*, insist on HR 34 style receivers, these are the best DVR's they have. Don't accept anything less, the HR 24, 23, 22, 20's...blah. The HR20 we have is good, but the HR22's are lackluster designs. INSIST on HR34's.

I've had both Dish and DirecTV. I moved to DirecTV when Dish wouldn't give me, a 10 year customer, a free upgrade to HD. I love DirecTV and would never think about going back to Dish.

Sometimes you need to play their games to your advantage.

Contact DirecTV fist to ask for discount/rebate if you are Dish Network customer. Don't tell them you're unhappy with Dish Network, just tell DTV that you are looking for better deal and better services.

Call Dish Network to cancel, tell them that you are not satisfy with current service and you are going to switch to DirecTV.

After few months, Dish Network will contact you and give you big discount to get you back.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

After few months, Dish Network will contact you and give you big discount to get you back.

Problem with that is that he'll be locked into a 2 yr contract with Direct... and the 'discount' may not be enough to cover the ETF.

I used to install for Dish. Plenty of times I'd be switching someone from Direct to Dish and while I was taking out the Direct box and putting in the Dish receiver, Direct would be calling their old customer and offering them a sweetheart deal to stay. Best I can remember, no one actually took the deal. I'm sure people who install DirecTV have similar stories.

So... you may have to call their bluff and actually cancel. But first, yes, try again. Playing 'CSR Roulette' is a well known term in this industry.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
DirecTV's packages are slightly more expensive after their initial cheap deals they use to suck in customers.

DIRECTV is the way to go, best HD channels and equip.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83

thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't agree unless you are only a sports fanatic they have a limited number of other HD channels, and they are more expensive than DISH overall.

The most troublesome thing about DirecTV is the horrendous customer service , rather customer NO service!

If you don't want a long contract, terrible customer service, a lack of variety of HD channels other than sports, and high pricing STAY AWAY from DirecTV.

This comes from a former customer of DirecTV of two years and a customer in good standing. But DirecTV sure didn't treat me with the respect I deserved. See my link on the previous page about my experience.

If you are a current dishnetwork customer in good standing with under NO contract, you should get it for free. I've always had better luck using the online chat with CSR to get the freebies.

Tell them you'd like to upgrade to "HD for Life". If nothing else email [email protected] with your story and complain to them that you've been a good customer for a long time and will switch over if you don't get a free HD setup. At most, they will ask you to sign a 2 year commitment if they give you the free equipment.

I've experienced a similiar run-around with Ma Bell (at&t). I've been an ADSL customer for 10yrs now and new clients are usually offered better deals than those like me.

First, bypass the front line reps by asking to be transferred to the 'customer retention dept'. When you get there & verify that's where you were sent, ask for their direct number. Next, ask them what deals are available. Write it down. If you don't like what you're hearing, you can either ask to speak to their supervisor or call back and talk to another agent.

With ATT, even agents within the CRD will not be uniform in the deals they will offer. So I'll call back 2 or 3 times. Yes, it's a pain, but worthwhile.

You may find additional info here.

Thank you sleddriver for the link and info.

Quote:
If you are a current dishnetwork customer in good standing with under NO contract, you should get it for free. I've always had better luck using the online chat with CSR to get the freebies.

Tell them you'd like to upgrade to "HD for Life". If nothing else email [email protected] with your story and complain to them that you've been a good customer for a long time and will switch over if you don't get a free HD setup. At most, they will ask you to sign a 2 year commitment if they give you the free equipment.

Postalbound, what you write is what I expected! I tried the chat route, with the offer I described above. My wife tried on the phone and they still wanted to force the maintenance protection plan on us.

I plan to try again over the phone, using some of the tips from above, but I am not too optimistic. When I mention switching to Direct, they say "you realize you're going to end up paying more..." and they don't budge anymore.

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

When I mention switching to Direct, they say "you realize you're going to end up paying more..." and they don't budge anymore.

On that account they are absolutely correct. More than just the monetary one too. Like I mentioned before DirecTV has really low brow CSRs that badger, lie, fudge the facts, and are also obnoxious as well.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: Malo83

thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't agree unless you are only a sports fanatic they have a limited number of other HD channels, and they are more expensive than DISH overall.

The most troublesome thing about DirecTV is the horrendous customer service , rather customer NO service!

If you don't want a long contract, terrible customer service, a lack of variety of HD channels other than sports, and high pricing STAY AWAY from DirecTV.

This comes from a former customer of DirecTV of two years and a customer in good standing. But DirecTV sure didn't treat me with the respect I deserved. See my link on the previous page about my experience.

Sorry but i've been with DIRECTV since they bought out PrimeStar and have great service with them, and they do have better HD programming than Dish
thumbsup2.gif

Thank goodness we've been smart enough not to pay through the nose for something as inane as television. People actually shell out $70 or more a month? Really? Hassles with customer service? Nothing but shows with commercials? Hundreds of channels with nothing on?

No thanks-I have far better things to do with my time.

We have DirecTv and glad that we do. For what it's worth the $6.00 monthly maintenance plan has payed for itself over and over. We had multiple equipment failures in the first two years and it was all handled at no charge and promptly. I cannot brag on their customer service, you can make three calls on one problem and get three different answers, none of which prove to be correct. Like most service companies today I'd give them a C- but the number of HD channels, programming, and picture quality is superior to DISH from what I have seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back