Heaviest oil for Ford 5.4 modular motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I have the 5.4L in my 2001 with 3.55s and everyone says, "that thing has a lot of motor"

you speak only of 4.6 and 5.4L but say nothing of the gears, all in the same paragraph you talk about towing? hmmmmm ....maybe an expedition isn't geared to tow...
my 150, loves to tow.

The 5.4 in our 2002 has 3.55 gears and the towing package so I dont know what you want me to tell you. Ours is the 2 valve heads. In 2003 they introduced the 3 valve and maybe that helped some? The engine itself runs great and is nice and smooth. Its just a pig thats all.

How do you edit posts here?

Anyway here is a picture of it. Notice the K2500 with 5.7 behind the bushes. That thing tows like a beast but then again its a heavy duty truck.

fcac215b.jpg

The 3V heads made a world of difference, especially for towing. The torque curves are much better for the new engine. In '05 they applied the same technology to the 4.6 for the new Mustangs. The 4.6 3V's make 300 HP vs. about 250-260 for the 2V's.

We have 5.4 at work that we tow with and I will admit, I thought they would have more, they are pathetic compared to a Hemi. But they had enough. The only 4.6 that I have driven is my wifes Lincoln with the 4.6 Intech, it has the hi-performance one, I guess, Its rated at 275 HP and I think it has every bit of it. The car gets Great gas mileage and moves out like a sportscar, for a big car. Iam impressed with it. I never drove a plain 4.6 like in a Crown Vic, people I talked to said they were underpowered for towing in the F150s. I cant believe they do worse than the 300, although a good engine, that motor was a gas hog for all he power it made. Our current company trucks have the 4.2 V6s in them and they are pigs for gas and power.

I'll ask the obvious... What kind of filter are you using? Cold start noise can be directly related to this also. Now I don't know about the new engines, and I am a new Ford owner, but the 99 I bought is doing very well on Schaeffer's 5w30 and an FL820S. During my initial runs with the truck, towing 7800 pounds, I got 9 mpg on QS full syn 5w30. A switch to Schaeffer's, and using their fuel additive, Ultra Soy, and I'm up to a remarkable 12 mpg under the same conditions... route, fuel brand and type, and same weight. I have no start up noise, and no unusual engine behavior to speak of. I did switch to M1 in the trans at the same time, but I don't feel that a new filter and 6 quarts of trans fluid would make that large of a change. Give the Schaeffer's a try.

Quote:

I'll ask the obvious... What kind of filter are you using? Cold start noise can be directly related to this also. Now I don't know about the new engines, and I am a new Ford owner, but the 99 I bought is doing very well on Schaeffer's 5w30 and an FL820S. During my initial runs with the truck, towing 7800 pounds, I got 9 mpg on QS full syn 5w30. A switch to Schaeffer's, and using their fuel additive, Ultra Soy, and I'm up to a remarkable 12 mpg under the same conditions... route, fuel brand and type, and same weight. I have no start up noise, and no unusual engine behavior to speak of. I did switch to M1 in the trans at the same time, but I don't feel that a new filter and 6 quarts of trans fluid would make that large of a change. Give the Schaeffer's a try.

I too thought that it may have been the filter. So before I even tried changing oils, I tried several different filters, including Amsoil, Wix, M1, K&N, PureOne, and Motorcraft fl820s (which is what I always used anyway)... None of them made a hint of difference. So I'm now back to using the ol' trusty Motorcraft fl820s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back