Heaviest oil for Ford 5.4 modular motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You handled those questions quite well. I dont think 20w50 is a good choice for any newer cars, but he was using 5w50 synthetic, even though that is quite a spread, I think it would be ok. Iam just stuck on a 10w30, oils are alot thinner then they used to be, A 10w30 is about like a 5w30 of 10 years ago. We can both agree you can go to extemes and have adverse effects in either direction. Thanks for the definition of that word, now how do I say it, so I can freak out my wife?

bamorris2,

I am not sure why you would think that a 30 weight oil would protect your Modular Motor better than a 20 weight oil in your hot climate. These Modular Motors have a very high volume oil pump on the crank snout that is supposed to run a huge amount of oil through the crankshaft, and a metered amount to the top-end including all the lifters and chain adjusters that you are hearing on cold start.

A high-quality 5W-20 with some stickiness (polarity) to it is your best bet. I have added small amounts of heavy base-stock no VII oils to the 5W-20 in my 4.6L to help with engine feel and consumption. But running 30weight oils in my engine just drag it down significantly from losses to the oil system even when hot, and give me more cold start-up noise. So I blend to thin 30 weights at the thickest even when running my car hard in 100degF temps that we have here in the summer. The engine does not care what the ambient temperature is. I have found that my 4.6L runs best year round on 5W-20.

Today's engines are set up to run 20weight oil because that is the best oil viscosity for naturally aspirated gas engines. Modern race engines with about 12.5:1 compression on down that are naturally aspirated on gas are also set up to run the 20 weight oils. They do this because both lubrication and power are excellent with this oil weight when both additive package and basestock are up to the task. So don't think for a second that engines are spec'd for 5W-20 just for gas mileage.

Quote:

bamorris2,

I am not sure why you would think that a 30 weight oil would protect your Modular Motor better than a 20 weight oil in your hot climate

I don't think that. My sole reason for considering going to a heavier weight oil is to further reduce my start-up noise (again, going to 5w30 helped some).

Quote:

A high-quality 5W-20 with some stickiness (polarity) to it is your best bet.

What is a good 5w20 with good "polarity"?

Quote:

I have added small amounts of heavy base-stock no VII oils to the 5W-20 in my 4.6L to help with engine feel and consumption.

What additives have you used/liked?

The initial soft and quiet feel of Syntec and PP 5W-30 when I have tried them in my 4.6L hasn't lasted very long. The best 5W-20 oil I have tried for quietness has been Syntec 5W-20. The Syntec blend 5W-20 is also supposed to be quiet. The Syntec and Syntec Blend both have a significant ester basestock content (polar). The Redline 5W-20 is very high ester basestock and would be worth a try. Motorcraft 5W-20 has been the worst for me from a harshness standpoint.

Best blend oils that I have added by far are the Delo 400 15W-40 and SAE 30. One quart added makes a big difference as far as smoothness and oil consumption goes on my 220K+ mile engine. It runs like new aside from the modest oil consumption.

Quote:

The initial soft and quiet feel of Syntec and PP 5W-30 when I have tried them in my 4.6L hasn't lasted very long. The best 5W-20 oil I have tried for quietness has been Syntec 5W-20. The Syntec blend 5W-20 is also supposed to be quiet. The Syntec and Syntec Blend both have a significant ester basestock content (polar). The Redline 5W-20 is very high ester basestock and would be worth a try. Motorcraft 5W-20 has been the worst for me from a harshness standpoint.

Best blend oils that I have added by far are the Delo 400 15W-40 and SAE 30. One quart added makes a big difference as far as smoothness and oil consumption goes on my 220K+ mile engine. It runs like new aside from the modest oil consumption.

you ever try MC blend? I've never had startup noise...

Quote:

...Motorcraft 5W-20 has been the worst for me from a harshness standpoint...

Funny you should say that. Despite all the good UOA's that I've seen for MC 5w20 syn blend, it is certainly not one of my favorites when it comes to engine smoothness. I realize that "smoothness" is very subjective, but I've never really liked the MC stuff.

If 5w20 is for no other reason than fuel economy then why does no other country spec it for the exact engine and spec oil as high as 5w40. As oil gets hotter it gets thinner, as it gets thinner it provides less barrier between moving parts and loses its ability to suspend dirt which is then able to bridge the oil. When I see 5w20 being spec"d in countries not bound by strict goverment standards, Ill then believe its a better oil in every aspect.

I've been running 15/40 in my 2000 F-150 w/5.4 since new, oci in 8-10k range,samples always came back looking just fine. IMO, living in the desert a 15/40 will work great for you.......
cheers.gif

Quote:

Quote:

...Motorcraft 5W-20 has been the worst for me from a harshness standpoint...

Funny you should say that. Despite all the good UOA's that I've seen for MC 5w20 syn blend, it is certainly not one of my favorites when it comes to engine smoothness. I realize that "smoothness" is very subjective, but I've never really liked the MC stuff.

I find it funny you BOTH say that.
grin.gif

My daily driver Mercury Marauder (4.6L DOHC modular motor) loves MC 5W-20. It now has 92,xxx miles and the motor is this car is very smooth and quiet, even on start-up, moreso than my other Marauder that has almost half the miles (the other car is supercharged and I use PP 5W-30 in that, which I find is quieter than the M1 I used to use).

The 4.6 DOHC is a great engine. I live ours its a 4.6 Intec. Lots of power and great gas milelage. How do you know it loves the MC, I think those motors would run good on Crisco.

Quote:

I would think though that MPG would take an increasing hit as one uses the vehicle for shorter and shorter trips, and I personally would not hammer the peddle until things are well into the warm-up phase.

Absolutely. No question in my mind. The difference in hot visc isn't all that much. Even at 40-50% difference at 100C ..the 100F visc differnce is about 8 times as much in CST. The divergence broadens the colder you go. Short trips ...motor honey. Longer events ..who cares (there can be some gains with lower visc)? The main thing that thinner oils do is start off as a virtual warmed sump when compared to heavier oils. It's a "head start" ...so to speak.

bamorris2,
I'm going suggest that you try some 5W-40 Rotella; it will definitely give you the protection you want plus the added possibility of a smoother, quieter running engine.

Quote:

How do you know it loves the MC

I mentioned the reasons in my reply ^^^

it's smooth and quiet, even at start-up; I get good fuel economy (for a luxo-barge); it used no oil on the trip from Chicago (where we purchased it) to eastern MA, and it consumed less than a half-quart during its last 5,000-mile OCI, which included a 1400-mile RT from MA to VA at 75-80 MPH (with 92,xxx on the clock).

Would I have gotten the same performance from another oil? Quite possibly. But I have a stash of MC 5W-20 jugs from Wally's and as long as I keep getting this kind of performance, I'll keep using it.

If its not broke dont fix it. But if you ever get curious try the Pennzoil Platium. My Lincoln with a 4.6 Intech was run on MC 5w20( I think it was dealer serviced, never know for sure, it was a Lincoln dealer). I kept using MC 5w20, after the service agreement was up, last two changes I switched to Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 and my fuel milelage went from 17.0 to 18.7 MPG, plus its so quiet you barely hear it run, Iam really impressed. Iam thinking of switching to PP in my Hemi, but I got so much Castrol GTX stockpiled to use up for it.

I actually have PP 5w30 in my sump as we speak. Remember, my primary purpose in experimenting with different oils is to minimize (or better yet, eliminate) my cold start-up noise. The noise is worst with MC 5w20. The PP 5w30 made it a little better.

I just stocked up on 2 gallons of Rotella 5w40 synthetic and a new Motorcraft fl820s filter. The Rotella will be going in tomorrow. I'll monitor it for a few weeks to see if I notice any difference.

Quote:

If its not broke dont fix it. But if you ever get curious try the Pennzoil Platium. My Lincoln with a 4.6 Intech was run on MC 5w20( I think it was dealer serviced, never know for sure, it was a Lincoln dealer). I kept using MC 5w20, after the service agreement was up, last two changes I switched to Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 and my fuel milelage went from 17.0 to 18.7 MPG, plus its so quiet you barely hear it run, Iam really impressed. Iam thinking of switching to PP in my Hemi, but I got so much Castrol GTX stockpiled to use up for it.

your mileage increased by using a heavier oil?
dunno.gif

Quote:

The 4.6 DOHC is a great engine. I live ours its a 4.6 Intec. Lots of power and great gas milelage. How do you know it loves the MC, I think those motors would run good on Crisco.

Lots of power? I think not! Thats always been one of fords weakness. The 4.6 and 5.4 are turds to be quite honest. I know I have owned both. 4.6 in a 97 expedition and now 5.4 in our 2002 expedition. Both are so weak it can barely get out of its own way but its ok I guess if your not towing. When I hook up our car trailer with my race car behind it I cringe every time I come to a hill.

We also had a 5.0 and 5.7 in broncos and they too were turds. The best ford engine we ever had has been the 300 inline 6 that was in an F-150 and E-250. Those 2 6 bangers wouldnt flinch when you put weight behind them. They would just laugh and say "is that all you can throw at me".
grin.gif

I have the 5.4L in my 2001 with 3.55s and everyone says, "that thing has a lot of motor"

you speak only of 4.6 and 5.4L but say nothing of the gears, all in the same paragraph you talk about towing? hmmmmm ....maybe an expedition isn't geared to tow...
my 150, loves to tow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back