Couple questions on rust

Spotted this Silverado on CL and to me, my untrained eye, it looks like the rockers are not far from gone, and that someone may have either used rubberized undercoating on the frame to make it look "not rusty", or maybe NH Oil?

1710525073783.jpg

1710525099114.jpg

I think the clue is how the leaf spring is not black like everything else. Fluid Film would be more clear I think.
1710525135513.jpg

I'm still poking around for the next vehicle, I went too small on a Corolla and miss having a trailer hitch, cargo space, etc. Don't think this fits the bill (no a/c, would miss having 4 doors) (but it's short enough to fit in the garage).

Yeah, some sort of black coating was applied over rust. I'd say it's probably fine & depending on that coating could buy some more years of life. I'd pass though too for the reasons you mentioned.

They do make black fluid film now but to me that just looks like dirt that sticks to fluid film overtime. My undercarriage is basically the same color after a year or so of applying fluid film.

I picked up some black RP-342 that would look like that, I think.

Just wanted confirmation.

Not enough pics to make a determination. My bets given the vintage, she's real crusty underneath.

Not enough pics to make a determination. My bets given the vintage, she's real crusty underneath.
I know the rear, around the spare tire, is a problem spot.

Was kinda drawn to this, short enough to fit in the garage, and should be stupid cheap on repairs. Swapping out a RWD 4L60 shouldn’t kill my bank account, unlike practically every other AT out there. While taking a trailer hitch and having some amount of cargo capacity. Seems high mile Ecotech might not be as good as high mile Vortech? 6l80’s don’t seem to age well.

Minivan might be nicer but I’d be worried about repairs as my goal is “cheap” on acquisition price. Trying to avoid a loan as everyone fears the economy and all.

Reactions: JTK
Back