Half a Quart Short

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Schaeffer,s 9000 in my 2006 Avalon. I got ready to change it today (Approx. 9500 mi.) and couldn't find the
extra ½ quart of oil. I know last summer I had 6½ quarts left. What is the opinion of the experts? Can I top off the oil with a ½ quart of some other synthetic? By the way the specs say 6.4 quarts w/filter.
Thanks

I would not add a whole quart if it is going to set you above the max/full line on the dipstick.

Add just enough synthetic(any name brand) to get you in the Mid high point on the dip stick.

Call it a day.

No worries!!!!

Thanks, I'll pick up a quart of Pennzoil or M1 the next time I'm in WalMart. I think I like the Schaeffer's but I have to order it a case or two at a time. I'll wait until the UOA comes back on this OCI before deciding about reordering. This OCI was right at 9400 mi.
Thanks again
John

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I would not add a whole quart if it is going to set you above the max/full line on the dipstick.

Sorry.. gotta hijack... What detrimental effects, if any, would too much oil cause?

Originally Posted By: BigNick
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Sorry.. gotta hijack... What detrimental effects, if any, would too much oil cause?

clog the cat.

If enough oil is added above the full mark to cause the bottom of the crankshaft to be in the oil, then it will be beaten to a foamy froth and the air entrained oil will not lubricate properly, could cause engine damage. That said, most vehicles have a fair amount of leeway. Need to check manual. No I would not put a whole quart for 0.4 qt, but I do often run mine a quarter inch above the full mark, but my manuals show me where it can safely go and that is much higher up the stick, say about half an inch above the full mark.

As Johnny said, you may not need the extra 0.4 qt. Check it on the stick before adding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back