Goodyear's reputation

I have some Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons on my truck and have been happy with them. They provide decent grip for my supercharged truck.

In 90's Bridgestone obliterated GY out of F1.
How about Indy F1 2005 when Michelin cars were not permitted to compete because their tires only lasted 10 laps?
In 2008 Rossi ran Bridestone tires on his Yamaha while his teammate ran Michelins, Rossi won the championship and Lorenzo finished 4th.
Most people think Michelins are great, I wouldn't use them on my wheelbarrow.

Goodyear tires are meh. They do have an positive image with that blimp-open wheel racing. I think of Goodyear tire as mostly a value brand. Exceptions would be the AquaTreds, run flats.

Goodyear wide ovals from the late 60's and early 70's. The best looking white letter tire ever made.
It was Firestone who made the "Wide Oval" tires you're thinking of.

1688131826048.png

How about Indy F1 2005 when Michelin cars were not permitted to compete because their tires only lasted 10 laps?
In 2008 Rossi ran Bridestone tires on his Yamaha while his teammate ran Michelins, Rossi won the championship and Lorenzo finished 4th.
Michelin is most widely used performance tire for a reason. When you buy Pilot line up, you know what you getting.
Problem with GY is that they staple Eagle on everything, from subpar, uber cheap Wal Mart tires, to tires that compete with Pilot, Potenza etc. line ups.
I Europe GY preserved more of an image having less options and kind of keeping that premium image. But here, they want to be everything for everyone. When one has bad experience with one or two sets, it is unlikely they will come back. That is why they are not anymore No.1 tire manufacturer, but 4th.

In 90's Bridgestone obliterated GY out of F1. That is when GY started to get used less and less on premium or sports cars. I remember an article in Auto Bild when they did interviews with both Bridgestone's chief engineer and GY, and pretty much GY was living in some la la land, thinking that name alone would carry them through F1. They eventually pulled out. I cannot remember when was the last time I saw GY on higher-end BMWs, MB etc.

In 80's GY was an absolute synonym with performance together with Michelin. I mean, it was a thing. It was a statement having GY on the vehicle. In Europe, I would say most of the performance cars, whether that was VW Golf GTI or 911, were coming with Good Year. And people buying GY aftermarket was like, they know stuff.
Excellent explanation! Thank you!

Goodyear RSA were the OEM tire of choice by the manufacturers in the 90’s and early 00’s. It looks like the Continental ProContact is the soup du jour these days, and I hate those ProContacts.
What goes on vehicle ftom factory is really not tire manufacturers choice per se. I wouldn’t blame there any tire manufacturer. What tire manufacturer does in sale on their own is 100% blame on them.
Many vehicle manufacturers will prioritize mpg to the point where they are perfectly fine with longevity of 10k, subpar wet performance etc. Anything for 0.01-% increase in mpg.

Goodyear is not my choice tire, but their Reliant line at Walmart is a decent value. On sale with free install, is an unbeatable deal. The trailer pulling SUV now has a set, for months now. Absolutely no complaints. Smooth and quiet, nicely balanced. Much quieter than the very noisy Pirelli's that came off. **** they were loud.

They have a few gems.. but mostly overpriced average or below average tires.

Goodyear is local but I have had 1 set.. and they were terrible.
I also remember such duds as the Eagle GA

They have a few gems.. but mostly overpriced average or below average tires.

Goodyear is local but I have had 1 set.. and they were terrible.
I also remember such duds as the Eagle GA
What was wrong with them?

I was just thinking about how Goodyear has a negative reputation to where no one really seems to recommend them on here and at what point they acquired the status as they to date have outlived all their domestic competitors in terms of being independent (not owned by tire companies from outside the US) by.a few decades (which if nothing else says they were at least doing something right). I was also curious on theories as to why their product has fallen short (what corner are they cutting basically).

I will say in my own experience I had excellent results with long life and respectable ride quality their older lines like the Goodyear integrity and Eagle GTII getting around 70 to 80,000 mi out of a set. They were decent in the snow, rain, and were relatively quiet. As far as where it went wrong for me was with the eagle LS2s which seem to last only 50,000 mi, spun with no effort in any condition, were loud, yet This line continued after those had been dropped for most vehicles. I haven't experienced the more recent versions of the assurance but I know both my father had a set of assurance triple treads and they from day one we're noisier than a set of mastercraft courser ( knobby treads), hydroplaned easily, and really weren't all that outstanding in snowy conditions, and we had to replace them at 45,000 miles. The other people I've known that have had assurance didn't have any outstanding experiences.

Some of the cars that I've test driven that came with The current Eagle line you can tell a dramatic difference between the brand new ones versus ones that have a year or two in a around 20,000 mi. .

Has anyone had any similar experiences with they were good at one point but then after a certain time they became bad or vice versa?
Several years ago, I worked in the oil field in NW Wyoming....we had a work truck we used for general purpose, mostly to drive to and from the field...a 3\4 ton 4x4.

We were moving from site to site "completing the wells" with a "power swivel" and its accompanied trailer, weight about 15k. There was one pass that was very difficult to go up, mid winter in Wyoming is no joke. Could not gain momentum to go up the hill......so we had to take an alternate route....suffice to say this took forever.

The lead guy of my crew had the tires changed from BFG AT, which were fairly new, to the (at the time) new Wrangler Duratracs........with a 15k lbs trailer, spinning the tires, we ere able to make it up the hill.

It was not the truck, its power, weather, weight, slope, driver......it was the tires.

I have never had any bad experience with Goodyear tires. I like the BFG AT for all purpose use, and is my go to tire, but if I was 100% use off road under extreme conditions, in a heavy truck, doing heavy stuff, Duratracs have been proven to me, in extreme conditons, and would be my choice all day. Not to say BFG does not have a comp tire, but this is just a personal experience between the two. Of course the duratracs are noisy and did not last of handle aswell on the road.

I know nothing on regular car tires, as I do not own them, but as far a truck tires, Goodyear is great in my opinion.

Mounted some Eagle GT's on my 74 Grand Prix back in mid 70's 255/60/15's, great tire, loved the tread block pattern, I remember them running quiet and lasted a good while. ;)
1688234686860.jpg

Still have between 4-6/32 thread left on my Goodyear assurance MaxLife tires. 53k miles on them and counting…I’m satisfied.

Never bought the cheap versions and never had any issues with them ...
Too many (my brand) fan boys here have to bash everything else out there except what they selected ...

I think the best tires made by Goodyear are Coopers. GY made a serious tactical mistake a couple of years ago with a policy which can't be discussed here. I won't buy their products but I do like the blimps.

rode in their blimp many years ago - the pilot gave us 20 minutes each to fly it - he of course did the T&L ...

The Eagle GA's that came on my parent's Caravan were crap. Replaced with Michelin X-radial.

I'm glad I avoided the Eagle LS-II's twice. The wear was so bad, VW had to issue a TSB on it.
Instead if the LS-II's, I got instead Michelin Energy MXV4 plus (Golf) and Pirelli P6 4-season (Passat)

Back