Going to use RP filter 2x...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you guys have influenced me.
On my wife's Xterra I just did an oil change.
No filter change.
It took maybe 10 minutes, no jack needed.

It has taken her 15 months to go 5,000 miles.
It sees quite a bit of city, and a little highway. However, it is normally pretty hot outside (90 degrees is a cold front these days) so it gets up to temp pretty quick, and it went through 2 quarts of makeup oil over that period of time.

The RP oil filter is designed for long intervals, and the engine is very clean through the fill hole. She was the original owner, and was extremely diligent to have her oil changed before 3,000 miles before I met her.

I will post pics of the filter in... well... perhaps another 15 months.

Changed out PP 5w30 for Napa Synthetic 10w30.
It having a 3 quart capacity, excluding the filter, I like the individual quarts that I can pick up at Napa along with a Platinum filter (Which I will go to next OCI and use 2x).

BTW, I ment to take an oil sample but the oil was done draining into my dirty oil pan before I realized that I should be taking a sample.

I will try to remember that in 15 months also.

I just did 20k on a 10-2876 RP filter on a 2009 Nissan Altima. 9 months of drive time and using M1. The filter looked great on the inside when I cut it open. I think you'll be just fine...

Once I get through the next two Honda OEM filters I have on hand I am going to use a FRAM Ultra again and plan on running it for two OCI. Before BITOG I would have said no way!

Yeah, not much capacity for a smaller SUV.
However, over that 15 months I put 2 quarts of makeup oil into it.
That's almost 2/3's of the capacity right there.

The new Xterra's hold 6 quarts, if I remember correctly.

The 2004 that I have is a little over 3.5 quarts.
I agree, small capacity, but that is why I run a name brand Synthetic. It will hold up longer than a standard dino oil.

Nothing wrong with using the filter for 2 OCs but did you really need to change the oil at 5K? Especially considering the makeup oil? Maybe UOA the next OC and see how the oil is holding up. If good, just run a 10K unlimited time OCI. That's what I do on our honda... and I don't even use a syn oil. Works great. Usually works out to 18 months to 2 years and the rate we drive. Used the last P1 filter in the stash this current OC and will install Ultras next. Might upgrade the oil next time and run 15K oil and filter intervals... likely 2.5 to 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back