Glad to see Gov. Cuomo is leading the nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys need to flush your country of people that stand in the way of what has made it great.

Everyone is dying to move to the U.S. and live the American Dream.

But they want to bring the idiocy and baggage from the country they so desperately fled.

America doesn't need Piers Morgan. Morgan needs America.

Time to send his worried fanaticism back to his rat hole of a country where they rot from their ideologies that will never and have never worked.

Britain has paralyzed itself with left wing intentions, and they will never understand.

It is now an Orwellian nightmare to be British. Everyone wants you dead and will kill you with your own political correctness.

Britain is the reason Americans should fight to keep the 2nd Amendment. Period.

To those of you across the pond and down under: please don't take this as a personal attack, because that is not how the following is intended:

As a U.S. citizen, I personally do not consider the opinion of the UK, Australia, New Zealand, or any other foreign nation or foreign citizen on the matter of gun control (or any other Constitutional matter)... The Founding Fathers of the U.S. gave its citizens the Constitution, and later the Bill of Rights including the Second Amendment. I value all my rights as a U.S. citizen, and I want to preserve those rights (as should every U.S. citizen), regardless of what other nations may think.

Now, instead of passing laws that (at least in my opinion) have no chance of meaningfully reducing crime, but instead will criminalize well-meaning citizens, why don't we focus on prosecuting known criminals and prevent them from repeat-offending, offering psychiatric help to the mentally ill/unstable, and reducing the proliferation of violence.

...Just one man's opinion, but I don't think I'm alone...

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So in other words, let's just make it easier to get a gun. Should I be able to walk into Wal Mart, and buy a Glock 9MM and ammo, with nothing more than my driver license? That's not a good idea, I'm pretty sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-gun in the least, I'm as opposed to banning guns as everyone else in here, but I think that we need to be smarter about the way it works, as opposed to removing all restrictions, and you can now buy a magnum and bullets at the 711 on the corner.

Today with a quick background check, yup, that easy in PA. Years ago 1950-80s you COULD buy guns and ammo at the local 5 and dime, I've done it. My dad also bought one from Sears. All w/o a background checks. Noone had any problems then with guns, don't know [censored] happened.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Morgan is unbelievably stupid. If the American colonists didn't have weapons with which to fight the crown, what are the chances that a hard monarchy would still be in place? Much greater.

Fact is that his monarchy is only a figure head today because the colonists were able to break away and form a superior government based on freedom. A he wouldn't have the opportunity to make lots of money on American TV by spouting off such rubbish.
Are you aware of the petition to "Deport British Citizen Piers Morgan for Attacking 2nd Amendment"? The White House just responded, they have to over 25k. I signed it.
grin.gif

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...ndment/prfh5zHD

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So in other words, let's just make it easier to get a gun. Should I be able to walk into Wal Mart, and buy a Glock 9MM and ammo, with nothing more than my driver license? That's not a good idea, I'm pretty sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-gun in the least, I'm as opposed to banning guns as everyone else in here, but I think that we need to be smarter about the way it works, as opposed to removing all restrictions, and you can now buy a magnum and bullets at the 711 on the corner.

Have you ever bought a gun? An AR lower or a handgun? Or even a generic long gun? I have a CPL, which wasn't such an easy process and I still need to fill out a mess of paperwork. Buy more than one gun at a time and you have to fill out an extra ATF form. You make it seem like guns aren't already regulated. Too much TV news.

Originally Posted By: dirtydannyd
They did the same thing in Australia after the Port Arthur massacre. They banned high powered semi autos.

The reason Martin Bryant (Port Arthur shooter) killed so many people is directly related to the type of weapons he used, that being a semi automatics. Had he had bolt action rifles with 5 round magazines, not as many people would have died.

Farmers, recreational shooters, sports shooters can still shoot and own guns. They just can't own guns that have the capability of killing LOTS of people quickly. The only members of society that can carry those weapons are law enforcement and military.

FWIW, there hasn't been a mass shooting in Australia since these measures were introduced and people still own guns. Just not the rapid firing kind.

OK, quick exam on the issues...I'm posting two pictures of rifles, one legal, and another illegal under the laws that you have quoted.

I'd like you to explain the difference between the two and why one should be illegal...and why...and how banning the illegal one would stop another Port Arthur.

BRNO.jpg

Remington.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Perhaps have you register the serial # of your gun safe?
21.gif

Sure. Of course, this is a registration.

And in Australia, the police must inspect your safe, in your home, and be "approved", prior to storing weapons there. And they can reinspect your safe as many times as they wish.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/asse..._March_2012.pdf

Anyone up for that? Is that "common sense"?

That's a bit silly. But I think some sort of on-line registration of the safe when you buy it makes sense. Similar to "Activating" your copy of Windows........

To be clear, I think somebody should be of good mental state and in possession of a proper licence to purchase a firearm. And I think some form of proof that they will be properly storing it is in order as well. That's as far as I would personally want to take it. I think it is a responsible approach. I'm not calling for some heavy handed gun regulation or the like. Restrictions on the TYPE of firearm or any of that nonsense, just a solid background check to be able to obtain your license to purchase firearms and proof that you will be storing them in a manner that makes them difficult to access in the event that somebody breaks into your house while you aren't home and tries to steal them. And also of course, ensures they are kept away from the hands of children.

Many comapnies have on line registration of products....its called the warranty. I will tell you once I lost my key chain and it had my security cabinet key on it. Took me about 15 minutes to get in with a cheap cordless drill. Replaced the lock with a hardware store replacement. Had to since the company would not make me another key after batting back emails. If a baddy want the guns enough...he can most likely get at them. Mine are in a locked cabinet, which is bolted to the floor, and in a room that has a lock on it. I try to make it atleast difficult for them.

But seriously...this would be just a feel good piece of law with no teeth...and you wouldn't want it to have teeth as we as Americans have a right to privacy.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Many comapnies have on line registration of products....its called the warranty. I will tell you once I lost my key chain and it had my security cabinet key on it. Took me about 15 minutes to get in with a cheap cordless drill. Replaced the lock with a hardware store replacement. Had to since the company would not make me another key after batting back emails. If a baddy want the guns enough...he can most likely get at them. Mine are in a locked cabinet, which is bolted to the floor, and in a room that has a lock on it. I try to make it atleast difficult for them.

But seriously...this would be just a feel good piece of law with no teeth...and you wouldn't want it to have teeth as we as Americans have a right to privacy.

It is more just to ensure firearms are stored in a reasonable manner, versus in the top drawer of the bedside table, that's the logic behind my comments here
smile.gif

If every gun owner is supposed to have a Gov't approved safe at home, then guess it's time to start a gun safe company. Lots of cash to be made.

It is more just to ensure firearms are stored in a reasonable manner, versus in the top drawer of the bedside table, that's the logic behind my comments here
smile.gif

Well that was a matter of great debate in the Heller vs DC arguments regarding security of firearms. And if I had to keep my protection gun in the safe I have....it would be on the other side of the house. Now....if you have kids, there are ways of securing them and making them accessible.

But still..that is allowing the government and bureaucrats into your private residence. I don't like the slippery slope that creates one bit.

smile.gif

Well that was a matter of great debate in the Heller vs DC arguments regarding security of firearms. And if I had to keep my protection gun in the safe I have....it would be on the other side of the house. Now....if you have kids, there are ways of securing them and making them accessible.

But still..that is allowing the government and bureaucrats into your private residence. I don't like the slippery slope that creates one bit.

My position is probably bit more lax with regards to allowing regulations to be put in place than yours, given that I'm not American. This is probably the closest we are going to come to an agreement here
smile.gif

Quote:
FWIW, there hasn't been a mass shooting in Australia since these measures were introduced and people still own guns. Just not the rapid firing kind.

And there weren't any before Port Arthur...

smile.gif

My position is probably bit more lax with regards to allowing regulations to be put in place than yours, given that I'm not American. This is probably the closest we are going to come to an agreement here
smile.gif

One of my best friends is from Newmarket and my ex was from Toronto....they loved the American laws and after seeing how we do it...they saw just how much the Canadian government pokes its nose where it does not belong. Once ya get a taste of freedom it sucks to give it up.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If so many people weren't idiots and left their firearms in plain view or where anybody can get access to it, maybe we wouldn't need a law like this.

If you are inferring that this is where criminals are getting their guns then you are either highly misinformed or have some kind of agenda.

And if I had to keep my protection gun in the safe I have....it would be on the other side of the house. Now....if you have kids, there are ways of securing them and making them accessible.

That's the next thing down here...

After the rise in home invasions, we were given the "right" to defend ourselves...with firearms if necessary...

First couple of cases went something like
* you felt threatened, and feared for your life ?
* you had time to open the safe, retrieve the firearm, got to your separate safe storage, retrieve the bolt, and ammunition, assemble the firearm and shoot !
* You surely had time to escape !!!

A member of our club had all of his firearms confiscated, lost his licence, and missed international shoots, faced $20,000 fines, and 4 years jail for "allowing" his firearms to be stolen (out of his caravan at an interstate competition, rifles in a chained hard case in the van, bolts and ammunition in his car at the restaurant with his wife). Ended up getting thrown out of court, and the costs awarded to the Police, but when re-applying, he had been "charged" with a firearms offence (legislation doesn't require "convicted")

Not arguing against safe storage. "They" will do everything that they can to prove that they are tough on the law abiding, while the criminals keep on doing what criminals do...disobey laws.

Now this is CLASSIC:

Quote:
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It appears someone forgot to exempt police officers from the ban of ammunition clips with more than 7 bullets in New York State's new gun control law.

It's a big oversight that apparently happened in the haste by the Cuomo Administration to get a tough package of gun-control measures signed into law.

On Tuesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the sweeping gun measure, the nation's toughest. It includes a ban on the possession of high-capacity magazines.

Specifically, magazines with more than 7 rounds will be illegal under the new law.

The problem as the statute is currently written does NOT exempt law enforcement officers.

The NYPD, the State Police and virtually every law enforcement agency in the state carry 9-milli-meter guns, which have a 15-round capacity.

Unless an exemption is added by the time the law takes effect in March, police would technically be in violation of the new gun measure.

Within the last hour, the Patrolman's Benevolent Association President released a statement saying, "The PBA is actively working to enact changes to this law that will provide the appropriate exemptions from the law for active and retired law enforcement officers."

State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he's going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, "You can't give more ammo to the criminals"

A spokesman for the Governor's office called us to say, "We are still working out some details of the law and the exemption will be included."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news%2Flocal%2Fnew_york&id=8958116

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

If there is any indication as to the raw stupidity of the people that both wrote and voted on this legislation....

Who is going to arrest all of the police for being in violation of the law?
banana2.gif

I was just reading that an hour ago and was like - dumbazz was so fast to react that he missed that critical point. Well, I figure it should stay that way - and WHY would they exempt retired officers too?? They are no longer officers but mere citizen after retirement and should be held to the 7 rd limit like the rest of those New Yorkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back